RIM's common shares began trading today on a post-stock dividend basis on Nasdaq and since August 15, 2007 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

On June 28, 2007, RIM's Board of Directors declared a 3-for-1 stock split of the company's outstanding common shares. The 3-for-1 stock split will be implemented by way of a stock dividend. This information is intended to address some of the frequently asked questions regarding the stock dividend.
  1. What is a stock dividend?
    A stock dividend is a common way to implement a stock split. In this case, RIM is implementing a 3-for-1 stock split. Each shareholder will receive two additional shares for each share that is held as of the record date. Since the number of issued shares after the stock dividend is tripled, and the market price at which the stock trades is expected to be reduced to one third, the value of each shareholder's investment remains unchanged. Shareholders of record as of the market close on August 17, 2007 (the record date) will receive two additional common shares for every one common share they held on that date. For example, the holder of 100 shares on August 17, 2007 will hold 300 shares on August 20, 2007 (the payment date).
  2. Why did RIM decide to do a stock split?
    RIM decided to do a stock split in order to lower the price per share and make our shares more accessible to a broader range of potential investors.
  3. Has RIM split its stock previously?
    Yes, this is RIM's second stock split; the previous 2-for-1 stock split occurred on June 4, 2004.
  4. What is the record date?
    The record date is the close of market on August 17, 2007. If shares are registered in your name as of the market close on the record date, you are entitled to receive the stock dividend.
  5. What is the payment date?
    The payment date for the stock dividend is August 20, 2007. If shares are registered in your name as of the market close on the record date, you will be sent a certificate for the additional shares representing the stock dividend from Computershare, our transfer agent, on or about the payment date.
  6. What happens if I sell my shares on Nasdaq before the record date?
    If you sell your shares on Nasdaq before the record date, you will not be entitled to receive the stock dividend.
  7. What happens if I sell my shares on Nasdaq after the record date?
    If you are a registered holder of shares on the record date (August 17, 2007) and sell those shares on Nasdaq on or prior to the payment date (August 20, 2007), you will not receive the stock dividend, but your trade will be settled on a pre-split basis under a due bill process where by the purchasers of those shares will be entitled to receive the additional shares following the payment date. If you are a registered holder of the shares on the record date and sell those shares on or after the trading day following the payment date (August 21, 2007), you will receive the stock dividend and your trade will be settled on a post-split basis. We encourage you to contact your broker for further details.
  8. What happens if I sell my shares on the TSX before the record date?
    If you sell your shares on the TSX on or after the second trading day before the record date (August 15, 2007), known as the ex-dividend, you will be entitled to receive the stock dividend. If you sell your shares on the TSX before the ex-dividend date, you will not be entitled to receive the stock dividend.
  9. When will the stock begin trading at its split price on the TSX?
    When the market opens on August 15, 2007, two trading days before the record date (known as the ex-dividend date), the market price of RIM's shares on the TSX will reflect the split. For example, if you own shares at market close on August 14, 2007, you will receive two shares for every one common share owned. If you purchase shares between August 15, 2007 and August 17, 2007, these shares will reflect the split adjusted price and, as a result, you will not receive additional shares for the shares purchased during these dates.
  10. When will the stock begin trading at its split price on the Nasdaq?
    When the market opens on August 21, 2007, one trading day after the payment date, the market price of RIM's shares on Nasdaq will reflect the split.
  11. When will the stock dividend be sent?
    The stock dividend will be sent out on or about August 20, 2007, the payment date.
  12. Where will my shares be sent?
    If you hold stock in the name of your broker, the additional shares will be sent directly to your broker. If you hold stock in your name and have a share certificate, your new certificate reflecting the new number of shares will be mailed to the address Computershare, our transfer agent, has on file.
  13. Will I need to turn in my old certificate?
    No. Do not return your existing certificates. On or after August 20, 2007, you will receive another certificate or your brokerage account will be credited with the additional shares.
  14. Who is RIM's transfer agent and how do I contact them?
    RIM's transfer agent is Computershare Investor Services Inc., who can be contacted at:

Computershare Investor Services Inc.
    100 University Avenue, 9th Floor
    Toronto, Ontario, M5J 2Y1
    Tel: 1-800-564-6253
    service@computershare.com
  15. Will the shares trade on Nasdaq on a when-issued basis?
    We do not expect there to be a when-issued market in RIM shares on Nasdaq.
  16. What do I do if I have lost my share certificate?
    You will still receive a new share certificate reflecting the stock dividend, even if you have lost your old certificate. If your shares are held in a brokerage account, you will not have or receive a share certificate. Should you wish to request a replacement certificate, please contact Computershare Investor Services Inc. for more information.
  17. What if I have recently moved? How do I change my address?
    If you have recently moved and would like to change or confirm your new address, please contact RIM’s transfer agent, Computershare Investor Services Inc., at:

Computershare Investor Services Inc.
    100 University Avenue, 9th Floor
    Toronto, Ontario, M5J 2Y1
    Tel: 1-800-564-6253
    service@computershare.com