Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RIM has turned down Indian Government's request to handover the message encryption key. The company ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

RIM tells Govt they can't share encryption keys

Advertisement

RIM has turned down Indian Government's request to handover the message encryption key.

The company says that it cannot share the data with the Government as its security structure does not allow any third party or even the company to read the information transferred over its network.

"The Blackberry security architecture for enterprise customers is purposefully designed to exclude the capability for RIM or any third party to read encrypted information under any circumstances," the company said in a statement.

[Read More]

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Just one more reason to LOVE RIM!

Thanks for the Info Hayden, Always on the ball!
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

toddone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    I just realized why I love my bb more than any phone I've ever had..lol
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

raeford no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks RIM for standing your ground...sounds like the Indian government needs to wake up before they "demand" themselves out of a chance to catch up to the rest of the civilized world.

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    Engadgetmobile.com is reporting that RIM gave into Indian government request. Does anyone have any information if this is in fact true?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDog View Post
    Engadgetmobile.com is reporting that RIM gave into Indian government request. Does anyone have any information if this is in fact true?
    U have a link to that report?

good1988 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I love RIM, im glad there is not a price for RIM to sellout

inc188 no está en línea Stack level 4

India needs to take a chill. What's the big deal?

Here is the link to Engadget

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...berry-network/

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74
    I think its kinda snoopish. We all know the indian people are eztremely intelligent, and with the encryptian keys, you wonder what they could do?!?BTW: that was not intended to sound like a racist comment, in fact my grandmother was from Kashmir. Just stating a common perception.
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    Yeah the government of India is really up tight. I think blackberry should just pull the plug if they are going to be like that. You know?

I enjoy knowing the type of security I have with my BB device.

Thanks RIM ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    RIM has turned down Indian Government's request to handover the message encryption key.

The company says that it cannot share the data with the Government as its security structure does not allow any third party or even the company to read the information transferred over its network.

"The Blackberry security architecture for enterprise customers is purposefully designed to exclude the capability for RIM or any third party to read encrypted information under any circumstances," the company said in a statement.

[Read More]

I'm SO glad they didn't cowtow to these idiots in India. If they want a state-ran spying agency for email then why don't they just create CARNIVORE like we did in the US. lol
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyxedge View Post
    Yeah the government of India is really up tight. I think blackberry should just pull the plug if they are going to be like that. You know?

I enjoy knowing the type of security I have with my BB device.

Thanks RIM ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Exactly. If every government/big whig got to decrypt messages just how long do you think that security would last? That decryption key would make it into the hands sooner or later of someone who would abuse it and then the entire security system would be compromised. How fast do you think the Indian govt would give up it's citizen's email/data encryption if the US asked for it? We can't even trust these guys to talk out of one side of their mouth, much less give them a freaking decryption code to AES 256-bit encryption......

Quote Originally Posted by justajason View Post
    I think its kinda snoopish. We all know the indian people are eztremely intelligent, and with the encryptian keys, you wonder what they could do?!?BTW: that was not intended to sound like a racist comment, in fact my grandmother was from Kashmir. Just stating a common perception.
    Exactly. I mean if you think about it, 80% of the Indian people are VERY intelligent and hard working, nice people. But there is a minority of 20% who want to bomb and kill everything this side of Egypt because we let our movie stars wear bikini's in movies. How long do you think it would take for that decryption key to make its way to start decryption on Secret Service/FBI/NSA/CIA/ATF agents' Blackberry's? LOL. not long...that's how long

Quote Originally Posted by inc188 View Post

India needs to take a chill. What's the big deal?

Here is the link to Engadget

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...berry-network/

Holy crap they did cowtow to them. Well you can kiss security goodbye. The article says the only limitation was that RIM won't be held "liable" if personal information is compromised, which means the entire Security structure of RIM is in danger of being compromised. There is not one key code for one country and another for another country, it's the same algorythm no matter what country it's in, if they are allowed to decrypt messages, they can decrypt ANY message they can get their hands on in the network traffic, and it's not that hard to catch a message in the air traffic between cell towers...not cool at all.....

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    If RIM have handed it over then I bet its for sale already. Seen a report for India that u could buy peoples bank details and I'm not talking about a few. They where selling thousands of them.
    Please let this not be true as this would be a major mistake giving it to anyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast