"Girls see technology as cool but too geeky for a career." A survey conducted by ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

RIM Survey: Lack of IT role models for girls

Advertisement

"Girls see technology as cool but too geeky for a career."

A survey conducted by Blackberry maker, Research in Motion, has uncovered reasons as to why girls do not commonly seek careers in IT – girls do not see positive female role models in the industry.

According to the survey of 1,000 young people (aged between 11 and 16), 73 percent of girls say that they would not choose a career in technology in the UK IT industry as it lacks female role models.

[read more]

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    I'm glad my girlfriend thinks this stuff is too "geeky." I would HATE it if she was as addicted to her phones as I am..

Man that would suck. I'm lucky that she's much more tolerant! As for the IT part, I don't think I've ever run into a female working in IT. Then again, I don't run into many IT people at all.

sweet_thing no está en línea Stack level 1
    I am actually attending school right now to work in IT and I am the only female in my class. More women should consider careers in the IT field to try and even out the playing field a bit!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Cron99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Very interesting article. I've known quite a few women in the IT field (from school and professionally) but I do agree that it is still predominantly a male orriented field with few actual role models for women.

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3
    But if they don't make any role models now when they will jump in the IT train? :P

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    I've met a handful of women who are in the IT field, and I think its awesome. I know as time goes on more and more women will move into that direction. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    LESS
    I've talked to a few here and there and they are pretty right. They were either at the same level or a little above.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kellycarter no está en línea Stack level 1
    I work and teach at a university. Enrollment for females is way up in engineering but dismal for computer science and information technology. And this is happening while almost universally more females than males are graduating from college.

Another survey I read claims females have the impression that IT jobs entail working alone and having little social interaction. I that that impression is wrong.

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    The IT field does in fact lack women! I am programed to the point where IT is usually followed b a word "guy". The image i get of that person is a scrawny guy who is smart but still cant get laid! Thts my two cents! I think girls like technology way more then guys, but just never go deep in it!
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ ur right...normally its 'the IT guy' not 'the IT girl'

my last job had two "IT Directors" in a row that were women

but of course, the whole management team of 7 consisted of only ONE dude and he wasn't even the boss

asavault no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D2C742
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~It is definately rare to see women in the IT department. I am not sure why that is the case. I grew up in a tech family so my sister and I where always encouraged to go the tech route. I love it!