Motorola Inc. sued Research In Motion Ltd. claiming the Canadian company's BlackBerry wireless e-mail device ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

RIM Sued by Motorola Over U.S. Patents, RIM files Countersuit

Advertisement

Motorola Inc. sued Research In Motion Ltd. claiming the Canadian company's BlackBerry wireless e-mail device violates seven U.S. patents covering mobile-communications technology.

Motorola, the biggest U.S. maker of mobile phones, said Research In Motion is using the inventions without permission and asked a federal judge in Marshall, Texas, to order a stop. Motorola also is seeking cash compensation for past infringement of the inventions, according to the complaint filed Feb. 16.

Research In Motion filed it's own lawsuit in federal court in Dallas on Feb. 16 claiming Motorola infringed Research In Motion patents, Research in Motion spokeswoman Tenille Kennedy said today.

The Eastern District of Texas, where Motorola's complaint was filed, was the second-most-favorable jurisdiction for patent owners who sued from 1995 to 2006, according to a PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP study last year. Only the Western District of Wisconsin was found to be more favorable.

[Read More]

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Re: RIM Sued by Motorola Over U.S. Patents, RIM files Countersuit

Does it ever end? So tired of these whinefests.

spike41615 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BD9F4

what abunch off dumbasses. Moto is just upset because their phones suck, and they cant make anything good. oh well

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Part of RIM's complaint stated that Motorola had infringed upon it by having a device that contains "a keyboard optimized for use with the thumbs". The question that comes to my head is why we have not seen more suits based on this allegation. If this were realistic, shouldnt and wouldnt RIM file infringement complaints against Samsung, HTC and others?
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by zjfarmer View Post
    Part of RIM's complaint stated that Motorola had infringed upon it by having a device that contains "a keyboard optimized for use with the thumbs". The question that comes to my head is why we have not seen more suits based on this allegation. If this were realistic, shouldnt and wouldnt RIM file infringement complaints against Samsung, HTC and others?
    They are pulling at straws. Maybe hoping Judge will throw it all out?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

I have a hate/love relationship with Motorola. I got their MotoRokr for Christmas. It had so many bugs and glitches, I went through 4 of them in 9 days. They tried to talk me into trying it just one more time but I refused and got my first BB instead...the 8130 Pearl! I hate Motorola phones, but they drove me to BBso that's a bright side!

I hope RIM comes out on the winning side!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja View Post
    They are pulling at straws. Maybe hoping Judge will throw it all out?
    I was not going for throwing it out, but I was thinking more that filing a counterclaim gives them a little bit of leverage when it comes to time to settle out. As we have seen recently with cases like this, they will settle out. I agree though, it most likely is a ditch effort to have a little ground to stand on.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas