Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yea I am going to have to agree with Rim on this one, I don't ... Smartphone News forum

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

Re: RIM Says LG Infringes BlackBerry Trademark

Advertisement

Yea I am going to have to agree with Rim on this one, I don't know how many people have come up to me thinking Blackjacks and blackberries are the same, it actually angers me a bit when they do it, and I also have to correct them right away, and there are a ton of people out there that aren't the least bit informed when it comes to phones, they get them confused all the time. They think they are getting a blackberry brand device and by the time they are told they aren't it's too late. I think if for no other reason than to eliminate the confusion; Rim has legitimate reason for what they are doing.

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

It definitely will hurt a small amount of sales. I think the suit is justified.
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

Themetria no está en línea Stack level 2

I believe that RIM are justified when it came to filing a lawsuit against Samsung for their BlackJack smartphone. Every time I see that device, or hear its name, I think about how strikingly similar it sounds and looks to any of the BlackBerry devices. Having said that, I don't feel as though LG are infringing in the same manner - working as technical support for BlackBerry and mobile devices for Australia's second largest telecommunications company, I hear confused customer's all the time inquiring about the "BlackJack" as though it were a BlackBerry but never have I found a single customer who thought their LG was anything other than an LG.

The Black Label devices are rarely referred to customers as a "Black Label" device, and customer's certainly don't refer to the device as a "Black Label" handset. Most people know the models nickname such as "Prada," "Chocolate," and "Shine" and that's about the extent of their knowledge. At the end of the day, I'm not sure what its going to do for customers; not everyone knows about this sort of situation and if the names don't change (or even if they do), the confusion will still be there for the most part. This lawsuit seems to be pointless, but the one against Samsung definitely had more substance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12