Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CNET Editors' note : The RIM BlackBerry Storm used in this Prizefight includes the official ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

RIM BlackBerry Storm vs. Apple iPhone 3G - Round 1 FIGHT!

Advertisement

CNET Editors' note: The RIM BlackBerry Storm used in this Prizefight includes the official firmware update released by Verizon Wireless on December 5, 2008.

Research In Motion caused quite a ruckus when it announced the RIM BlackBerry Storm. After all, the Storm is not only the first touch-screen BlackBerry, but it's also unlike any other touch-screen smartphone out on the market now thanks to its clickable display.

Of course, given the touch capabilities, not to mention the impressive feature list and Verizon's competitive pricing, the comparisons to the Apple iPhone 3G were inevitable. So, to end all debates, we put the two smartphones in the ring. Will the Storm finally be the one to take out the reigning iPhone? Find out in our Prizefight.

Let's keep it clean fellas. Ding ding!
    [ROUND 1]

About the judges

Kent German covers cell phones at CNET and has been following the wireless industry for six years. He's embarrassed to admit he can name almost any cell phone he sees on the street.

Brian Tong hosts Prizefight and other shows on CNET TV. He's ready to face-off two gadgets at any place, any time.

Bonnie Cha reviews the latest smart phones, PDAs, and GPS devices, helping CNET readers get their hands on the latest mobile electronics.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Ouch, I would have thought it would have scored a little better. I have played with the Storm a couple times, once with OS .65 and once with .75. Both were buggy and slow, but they also are display models that are used and abused. The one with .75 had barely 2mb of file free on the phone. I would love the chance to play with a virgin Storm running the newer OS, have time to play with the settings, optimize it, and see what it would really be like.

It looks pretty, the screen is gorgeous, and I want it because it's new, but I don't think it can compare to my 8330 Curve as far as reliability and overall performance at this point. I'm not ready to shell out the $$$ on this one quite yet.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

nabitheking no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3047E391
    They all seem to focus so much on how the Storm can be buggy and slow, which gave it the low rating. Even when they were comparing the call quality, it was mentioned that the phone is slow thus bad rating goes to the Storm again.

I mean... what does call quality have to do with the phone being not as snappy as iPhone, not to mention that it is actually not as slow as they claim it to be. I'd say that is a little biased. I also think that it is funny they listed a pretty long list of pros for the Storm in certain areas and then gave the Storm a lower rating than the iPhone? Once again, "the Storm is buggy and slow" is the reason for a bad rating in areas where it has almost nothing to do with the actual criteria...

But then, I hope RIM is listening in. Even though the Storm is not as slow and buggy as the people at CNET claim it to be, I'd hope that RIM would come up with an update soon that makes the great phone even the greater one. You've got to admit that the recent OS update didn't quite do it.

At this point, I get irritated at times, but it would never pull me away from the Blackberry world to the iPhone realm.
    Last edited by nabitheking; 12-16-2008 at 05:35 PM.

inc188 no está en línea Stack level 4
    booooooooooooooooooooooo on CNET, lol

fanboys/girls,

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    While I agree that there probably was some bias towards the iPhone and agree that call quality rating shouldn't be including the slowness of the phone, still I think many of their deductions based on slowness/bugginess are valid.

What good are features when they don't work as expected and are frustrating to the user? Now there is nothing about the iPhone that would tempt me away from the BB world, but I'm not willing to be a Storm user guinnea pig. Thanks and appreciation to all of you who are . I'm still waiting to hear more positive reviews before I crack open my wallet and give it a shot.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

nabitheking no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3047E391
    Hey, I guess I am one of those Storm user guinea pigs .

azstar, if you are used to and rely heavily on the reliability and the efficiency of your Curve, you should stick with it and wait until RIM works the kinks out for the Storm.

As for me, I don't mind being a guinea pig when it comes to testing out any Blackberry device that is packed with so many features like the Storm .

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    No surprise here, we all knew what phone would win. Doesn't matter we all are die hard BB owners!!!
    T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 & I'm not coming back! :D

--HeavyC.

conker no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249E86E3
    Quote Originally Posted by nabitheking View Post
    Hey, I guess I am one of those Storm user guinea pigs .

azstar, if you are used to and rely heavily on the reliability and the efficiency of your Curve, you should stick with it and wait until RIM works the kinks out for the Storm.

As for me, I don't mind being a guinea pig when it comes to testing out any Blackberry device that is packed with so many features like the Storm .
    Good man! It's people like you that help push technology forward and help companies improve. I too really hope that RIM is listening, and make Storm 2.0 a worthy contender. They certainly have a lot of professional and consumer feedback to draw upon.
    NOT posted from an iPhone

Arniestorm no está en línea Stack level 1

Storm Vs. Iphone....Storm Typing Not User Friendly Now

I own the Storm about two weeks. I also own an iTouch which has the same typing system as the iPhone. I must say, at this point in my typing on the Storm, the iPhone wins hands down regarding speed and ease of typing.

I can type paragraphs extremely rapidly on the iPhone with ZERO errors. I cannot type as fast with the Storm, and I still make mistakes and get crappy predictive typing words suggested to me. It takes me forever to edit a paragraph.

What's worse, correcting a mis spelled word in a paragraph with the Storm is a CHORE and takes too much time. I cannot get the cursor engaged easily with my finger. It takes several tries to rub my finger to get the cursor to change from blue to an outlined vertical rectangle. Once I get the rectangle moving it into position is ridiculous. The finger obscures the view making it difficult, if not impossible, to drop the cursor in the right place.

If anybody shares my experience, please contact me at awinters@bellsouth.net. I hope RIM engineers get working on making the typing more user friendly.

Also, why isn't the DOLLAR SIGN on the number keypad? Try typing a dollar amount. You have to switch between SYMBOL screen, NUMBER screen and alpha screen. Also why no "DOTCOM"? If they would only add a key called ".Com" that would make life easier.

Please let me know how you feel about these points. I believe they all can be fixed with a software update. Can they be fixed?

Thanks! Arnie

Brooose no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3032A20A
    I can't take Bonnie Cha and these CNET people seriously. They play with the phones for 5 minutes, write reviews that are filled with mistakes and act like they are gadget-gods! I wouldn't waste my time with them. Pinstack is much more reliable for BB. PPCgeeks is great for Windows Mobile. Treocentral is good for Treos. CNET is not worth your time.

conker no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249E86E3
    Quote Originally Posted by Arniestorm View Post
    I own the Storm about two weeks. I also own an iTouch which has the same typing system as the iPhone. I must say, at this point in my typing on the Storm, the iPhone wins hands down regarding speed and ease of typing.

I can type paragraphs extremely rapidly on the iPhone with ZERO errors. I cannot type as fast with the Storm, and I still make mistakes and get crappy predictive typing words suggested to me. It takes me forever to edit a paragraph.

What's worse, correcting a mis spelled word in a paragraph with the Storm is a CHORE and takes too much time. I cannot get the cursor engaged easily with my finger. It takes several tries to rub my finger to get the cursor to change from blue to an outlined vertical rectangle. Once I get the rectangle moving it into position is ridiculous. The finger obscures the view making it difficult, if not impossible, to drop the cursor in the right place.

If anybody shares my experience, please contact me at awinters@bellsouth.net. I hope RIM engineers get working on making the typing more user friendly.

Also, why isn't the DOLLAR SIGN on the number keypad? Try typing a dollar amount. You have to switch between SYMBOL screen, NUMBER screen and alpha screen. Also why no "DOTCOM"? If they would only add a key called ".Com" that would make life easier.

Please let me know how you feel about these points. I believe they all can be fixed with a software update. Can they be fixed?

Thanks! Arnie
    Doesn't the spacebar trick on the Storm work like other BB devices? Spacebar will insert a "dot" and a "@" symbol if you hit the space bar when typing email addresses and web addresses. However, there is no "com"
    NOT posted from an iPhone

xattica no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GA
    Im just waiting an Iphone vs Bold comparison... Is always "even" cause they know the bold will outperform the iphone. The iphone is a nice gadget, very advance one but not the best. Except for the screen and safari, is a normal phone.

Gigamaster89 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by conker View Post
    Doesn't the spacebar trick on the Storm work like other BB devices? Spacebar will insert a "dot" and a "@" symbol if you hit the space bar when typing email addresses and web addresses. However, there is no "com"
    When your typing a web address, the spacebar isn't even on the keyboard, instead, ".", "/" "@", and ".com" shows off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by xattica View Post
    Im just waiting an Iphone vs Bold comparison... Is always "even" cause they know the bold will outperform the iphone. The iphone is a nice gadget, very advance one but not the best. Except for the screen and safari, is a normal phone.
    Have you ever used an iphone?

By your logic, except for the for keyboard, the blackberry is a...radio? clock? a piece of toast?
    Last edited by Gigamaster89; 12-16-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    I have to agree with cnet. If you bring out the storm to compete with the iphone, then it is fair game. WE know what features are important to us, but to a casual user, they see it differently. Also hearing about the responsiveness of the storm gives it a black eye also. The storm is here to stay, but as a i have said many times before, i will wait it out until the major problems are fixed before the storm replaces my curve.

pblakney no está en línea Stack level 2
    Maybe a suggestion to RIM regarding the typo correction box. It is obscured when trying to position it. How about supper imposing the box and word on the screen in large font above the word for easy locating much like the word recognition during typing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast