Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The 8120 makes its debut today--but only to AT&T Wireless corporate customers (via its enterprise ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

RIM BlackBerry Pearl 8120 makes debut today at At&T

Advertisement

The 8120 makes its debut today--but only to AT&T Wireless corporate customers (via its enterprise channels and its Premier business portal). Pricing for these customers is $200 with a two-year contract, or $350 unlocked.

Yardena Arar tested AT&T's 8120 for a few days and has this to say:
    "Voice calls sounded loud and clear, and recipients were able to hear me even while I was walking along a busy city street. We have not yet lab-tested the phone's battery life. Check back for test results--and a PC World Test Center rating--when those tests are complete.

Although the 8120 doesn't support AT&T's fastest data network (HSDPA), its 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi capability certainly compensated in many locations. And its quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE support means you can use it for voice calls throughout most of the world, with data coming in at roughly dial-up speed in locations where Wi-Fi isn't an option.

Like earlier Pearls, the 8120 is petite and elegant, yet solidly crafted. It weighs in at a featherweight 3.2 ounces, and measures 4.2 inches in length, a hair less than 2 inches wide, and slightly more than half an inch thick. The glossy black casing looks classy."

[Read More]

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3
    Unbelievable that AT&T Beat Tmobile on this...sad really. T-mobile has a proprietary VOIP/WIFI calling service and they can't get the 8120 released before AT&T? Who by the way will probably not even tell customers it has wifi......
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....

penpower no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by untjoker View Post
    Unbelievable that AT&T Beat Tmobile on this...sad really. T-mobile has a proprietary VOIP/WIFI calling service and they can't get the 8120 released before AT&T? Who by the way will probably not even tell customers it has wifi......
    I don't think UMA is the only thing that a wifi BB buyers are looking for. More and more applications are utilizing wifi function, such jivetalk, internal wifi browser, and etc.

it is not true that att doesn't tell their customer about wifi function. Wifi is a selling point/key feature when they released 8820, so is 8120's.

Its a well documented fact that at&t has in the past downplayed and flat out withheld wifi capability from a number of its phones to enhance customers to purchase data plans. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Not good that they got it first. But if TMo doesn't get anything soon I may be gone.

The 8820 wll be released in about 10 days an the 8120 is expected to be right behind it. Worst case.you could unlock an atandt version ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

tmoney83 no está en línea Stack level 1
    which os does it have

4.3, not sure of the extended os version but it is definitely 4.3...
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....

From business point of view, I fully understand why att didn't emphasize wifi feature in many of their phones in the past - Wifi is not their strongest feature set. They are in business to make money and data plan bundle does generate more revenue for them. So that isn't anything wrong that they promote data plan to their customers. ATT doesn't stop you to buy the wifi capable phone without getting the data plan. It is totally your choice. However, you do get more discount when getting a data plan too. Be honest, how many of you buy a data device without getting a data plan now these days?

At least ATT didn't heavily neuter the wifi feature like verizon does to its gps function.

On the other hand, I think one of the reasons that att beats tmobile this time is because of the UMA feature. At least, att doesn't have to test UMA on its network before releasing the phone. So tmobile's users shouldn't feel bad about this, tmobile just wanted to you have a good experience with 8120, cross your finger
    Last edited by penpower; 03-13-2008 at 01:20 PM.

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~its funny I'm on att and I went to tmobile to see when they were getting it ha att to the rescue

inc188 no está en línea Stack level 4
    this bb looks really good... not a big fan of the sure type but the color of the case and keys look great.

lyricalluna no está en línea Stack level 2
    Their 8120 is ugly . The silverish keys in the middle kill the look, but that's just my opinion. I always thought their Pearl's were ugly though. I'll be fine waiting for T-Mobile's...tick...tock...tick..tock...
    Last edited by lyricalluna; 03-13-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Have to agree. Also, the build quality on the 8120 is phenomenal. I got the 8100 on tmobile the day it came out and it always felt poorly made.

joeybuckets123 no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Where's the curve with wifi for att???? Lol

anyone see 8120 listed on their premier yet? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast