Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Wow! Hopefully the new design will keep it cleaner to begin with. ... Smartphone News forum

StarMile no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Wow! Hopefully the new design will keep it cleaner to begin with. So far I've only had to clean mine twice in 2 years on my Curve, so it probably isn't all that bad considering.

Igot8800 no está en línea Stack level 1
    How do you remove the housing?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMile View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Wow! Hopefully the new design will keep it cleaner to begin with.
    Despite all the warm and fuzzy advertising hype and reassurances, it's a trackball... period. It rolls, therefore it's subject to the entry of dirt and debris in much the same manner as the 83xx and 88xx series. I have a Bold and upon very close inspection with a magnified loupe, and high intensity light source I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt there is very little difference where the ball is seated, and the material it rolls on. Therefore be prepared to take this BlackBerry apart on a regular basis.

I just finished replacing the trackball assembly on my 8310, an operation that takes a whopping 10 minutes, and that's only because I'm super meticulous. I could have done it in 3 minutes. The fact that RIM went backwards in the interest of style is a very poor choice in my opinion. And yet that said I do understand that we live in a throwaway society and this is a way for RIM to sell more BlackBerry's. After all, not everyone has the time, patience and skill to take their BB apart for something as basic as cleaning the trackball.

Quote Originally Posted by Igot8800 View Post
    How do you remove the housing?
    With the proper tools, a lot of time and patience along with following the tutorial that I'm sure someone will put together with pictures.

All this to simply clean the trackball....

Hello RIM? What were you thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You have to disassemble the device to that degree to get the trackball out? Unbelievable.
    I agree, what an absurd way to make it far more complicated than it needs to be. To go from a well designed 81xx, 83xx, 88xx trackball assy that is easily cleaned and replaced, to this is, well.....

Wait till the Apple hype/advertising machine gets wind of this. If you think the PC vs Mac commercials are bad, this will only fuel the fire.

iPhone may have a captive battery, but to have RIM go backwards from a easily serviced trackball to this, is simply mind boggling.

priest_spy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A5F6DD
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I agree, what an absurd way to make it far more complicated than it needs to be. To go from a well designed 81xx, 83xx, 88xx trackball assy that is easily cleaned and replaced, to this is, well.....

Wait till the Apple hype/advertising machine gets wind of this. If you think the PC vs Mac commercials are bad, this will only fuel the fire.

iPhone may have a captive battery, but to have RIM go backwards from a easily serviced trackball to this, is simply mind boggling.
    I agree. anw, i like 8900 design despite its new trackball structure.

Quote Originally Posted by priest_spy View Post
    I agree. anw, i like 8900 design despite its new trackball structure.
    Oh I agree with you completely. Setting aside the issue of trackball maintenance I think the 8900 Curve is the best design and the best looking BlackBerry ever. Far better looking than my Bold.

I like absolutely everything about it. The front, the sides with the flush silver trim, the smooth back with the clear flush cover over the camera. This is simply a masterpiece of design. The black trackball and the six and shape are ideal. Like I've said before I believe this will be the best selling BlackBerry of all. I also think the 8900 will attract a lot of first time BlackBerry users.

~via Archers BB Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

yunitadiana no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask 1st
    good job, unbelievable!!!

stay clean and shiny.

InfinityPlayer no está en línea Stack level 3

Trackball cleaning

Of course, you have to realize that even attempting to do this is dangerous in itself. Cos, what if you damage one of the tiny sensitive components, regardless of how careful you may think you are, while doing this procedure. Then you would up a creek without that legendary paddle to help you along the way.

I'm just saying this before anyone who has the new device from RIM tries these steps to take out the ball to clean it.
    Define irony: A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song that was sung by a band that got killed on a plane. - By a man who is in a movie about those very idiots dancing on the plane he was on.

Meh! no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Sorry to drag up the dead... But voiding warranty to chane the trackball? Ugh um this is NOT gonna be good. That's plain evil on RIMs paer.
    via smartphone~

ummati no está en línea Stack level 1
    I can't see any pictures? How come?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-21-2010, 11:42 AM