Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by rmarkowitz What puzzles me is why Apple would use a locked version ... Smartphone News forum

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz View Post
    What puzzles me is why Apple would use a locked version of Bluetooth.

Kind of lame locking down what is supposed to be an open standard.
    I don't understand how you can call the iphone a music phone when the thing doesn't even have stereo bluetooth! I mean what enjoyment is APple getting out of making you use that dumb looking all white headset (which gets dirty after one week by the way)? In this age of wireless, being forced to use wired headsets just looks archaic.......
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Agreed...for the iPhone to be a "Multi-Media Machine", no A2DP or Bluetooth transfer capabilities is pretty bad...it sucks.

My Pearl that cost me $100 (with upgrade) can do this (with 4.5 upgrade).......c'mon Apple.

cdickens no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    please tell me that T-mobile will have this in the next month or so ??? Please...anyone....

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    cdickens....I heard that it was going to AT&T first (unless it's changed) in the US. But I'm sure it'll be released to most (other) carriers...

**And does your screen name stand for the famous author "Charles Dickens" (because he's awesome)

r1ch007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    I thought this new Iphone was suppose to be all that and a bag of potatoes. Looks like it's not. I thought that the new iphone has third party apps capabilities?
    Two words: App Store

Quote Originally Posted by untjoker View Post
    And one HUGE factor about the BB Bold, you can add 3rd party battery solutions that maxmize the phone's features, and also just buy a 2nd battery! With the iphone you'd have to stop and charge if your phone was dead, there is no replacement battery lol, kind of retarded if you ask me...
    And what happens when BOTH batteries are dead?, what would you do then?
    LOL C,mon man, when was charging your phone an issue when the battery is low?

Quote Originally Posted by huyanhle View Post
    The iPhone is over rated in the media, needless to say [coporate sponsors], and it seems to compare every smartphone to the Blackberry. That reason, Apple has major companies such as Disney, Nike, United States Army, New York Time, EA and such. That being the reason iPhone has such a influence in the media hype. That is the reason the media says its a business phone, and a Blackberry contender.

However on this forum, it seems very hostile with any mentions or defends the iPhone. I need to stop monitoring this thread. However I want to leave with a couple of comments, but just keep in mind, my curve is my main phone, my fiance is jealous of my phone's curve. However whoever has developed for the Mac is will the iPhone and understands it features. Apple has done a great job in it's implementation of Cocoa touch. Cocoa touch is feature rich and I am sorry, possibility is endless. Developing 8 months ago on a jailbroken phone was a pain the a**, but SDK is jaw dropping. I am a self learner, I have not take a single class in Object C, or X Code developing, but the SDK is a cheat sheet.

There are a many closed minded user, in Blackberry and iPhone forums that have not seem full capabilities of the other device. I'm sure everyone is familiar on the Bold technical features so I won't touch that, however most don't realize the iPhone technical features. OpenGL ES was EA's instant decision to develop on the iPhone.

Out of the box, the iPhone will not do much for many reasons, however I want people to understand that Apple's marketing team is genius. It will leave certain features out to lower the cost of the device itself (which the consumer will love) and make money from third party suppliers. In September, the iPhone will be rich device. One major accessories will release is a pocket size video projector. With it's media feature and soon to come Keynote support, if you were a corporate user, why wouldn't you chose the iPhone. Yes it has push email...

Blackberry will never be fully replace anytime soon in a full corporate world because simply of it's business features, I will not give my employees an iPhone because it's simply a big distraction. I'm sure they won't be so productive with the temptation of the app store. However from a general consumer base and small business user, the iPhone is a top choice. For the end consumer, and please feel free to flame me on my following statement, without the Blackberry network, my Curve will simply downgrade to a regular smartphone. To close, become educated and familiar with both platform and device before you give an opinion. Blackberry and iPhone is soon to become a Window and OS X discussion.
    And this has to be, in my opinion, closer to what I believe is the truth at this present moment in time.

Yesterday I watched the keynote and at the end said "wtf?...is that it?" then I thought a little deeper. I thought, doesn't Mr Jobs know his competition? doesn't he also know that the iPhone is essentially a multi-media device?, so why no mms, video recorder and copy and paste?

The answer is he DOES know and like everyone keeps saying on here "apple is king at marketing" and "apple is marketing genius" well people, watch it all unfold infront of your eyes LOL

Apple: Let the competition draw their cards whilst we improve and build upon what we already have.

Just a Thought.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if apple drop another device directly after the bold before this year ends. They are good for that!, it happened to me in '06 when I bought my intel core duo MBP!!

Oh and for all those out there whining about 3rd party apps. I have a ton on my iPhone inclucding all sega games, snes emulator for my super mario world series, VNC server to control my MBP, video recorder, dictionary, MMS, SIP-VOIP, sendspace oh and PUSH email. Like huyanhle said, the possibilities are endless with the iPhone's architecture.

Just to add I love my 2 bb devices, but this is my observation that I cannot deny.

Comments, thoughts and flaming welcomed :-)

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    huyanhle, you can't honestly expect this to be an unbiased forum can you?? After all, it is a BLACKBERRY forum.

Considering that it is a BB forum, I think there are a large number of people more than willing to give the iPhone a fair shot, but at the same time, it's human nature to want to feel that your choice is the best choice!

I am a gadget freak and I think the iPhone is a pretty cool device, but I couldn't get past the touch keyboard and having to use iTunes to manage my music. That is my personal preference...

My largest concern about the iPhone in a corporate setting is the recent info about not being able to completely clear all user data. So at end-of-life are we (as a company) supposed to have an iPhone bonfire to ensure that corporate data is secure? What happens if someone should have a defective iPhone and need a replacement? What guarantee do I have that the returned defective phone will be completely wiped of all user data before refurbished and resold? Sure they can say that will happen, but unless I physically see it happen, there will always be that modicum of doubt that sensitive data may be out there...

As for the iPhone being more for the consumer market - I'm very happy with media (music and videos) on my BB with my bluetooth stereo headphones! And here I am, justifying my choice...
    Last edited by gritsinct; 06-11-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling

mbranscum no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2161A8BC
    I'm seeing these comments about ATT losing their pants on this phone. ATT is actually coming out BETTER than on the first iphone.

The price is $199 BUT they have increased the required data package from $20 to $30.

Now, over a 2 year contract that comes out to $240 more. $199 + $240 = $439...

There you go.
    Follow me on Twitter

Cool Smartphone User Guy

huyanhle no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gritsinct View Post
    My largest concern about the iPhone in a corporate setting is the recent info about not being able to completely clear all user data. So at end-of-life are we (as a company) supposed to have an iPhone bonfire to ensure that corporate data is secure? What happens if someone should have a defective iPhone and need a replacement? What guarantee do I have that the returned defective phone will be completely wiped of all user data before refurbished and resold? Sure they can say that will happen, but unless I physically see it happen, there will always be that modicum of doubt that sensitive data may be out there...

As for the iPhone being more for the consumer market - I'm very happy with media (music and videos) on my BB with my bluetooth stereo headphones! And here I am, justifying my choice...
    I told myself not to read this thread, , please don't think that I dislike the Blackberry. I am longtime user, and BB Bold supporter/soon to be owner. I agree that simple media player is good my Curve also, but hardware support and developing support, the possibilities for multimedia is a little limited.

However your concern about security, the 2.0 will have remote wipe. Administrators will be able to send the remote wipe command if the device is stolen. Cisco was a co-developer for no reason.

am23 no está en línea Stack level 1
    the 3G iPhone will also let you input Japanese and Chinese characters.. this would be one useful feature for me.

does anyone know if this is possible on the Bold?
    Last edited by am23; 06-12-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    i am pretty sure you can get language packs for your device and should be able to input those characters
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.

ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I'm still trying to figure out, from all the "Enterprise" diagrams and articles on the iPhone web site, where this fits into the Enterprise over the CELLULAR Network?

Can someone explain to me where the email push and all the other "Enterprise" features they added, are done over a cellular network?

am23 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic View Post
    i am pretty sure you can get language packs for your device and should be able to input those characters

where can I get these language packs? I've searched but can't seem to find any posts where people have successfully done this

ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Exchange ActiveSync Setup
    Network configuration
    • Check to ensure port 443 is open on the firewall. (Note: If your company allows Outlook Web Access, port 443 is most likely already open on your firewall.)
    • On the Front-End Server, verify that a server certificate is installed and enable SSL
    for the Exchange ActiveSync virtual directory (require basic SSL authentication).
    • On the Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server, verify that a server certificate is installed and update the public DNS to properly resolve incoming
    connections.
    • On the ISA Server, create a Web listener as well as an Exchange Web client access
    publishing rule according to Microsoft documentation. This is a necessary step in enabling Exchange ActiveSync.
    • For all firewalls and network appliances, set the Idle Session Timeout to 30 minutes (check
    your Microsoft Exchange documentation for alternative heartbeat and timeout intervals).
    Exchange account setup
    Exchange Activesync features are enabled by default for all mobile devices at the
    organizational level on Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2007. You can use Active Directory to enable or disable specific users or groups.
    • Enable Exchange ActiveSync for specific users/groups using the Active Directory
    service. (For Exchange Server 2007, this is done in the Exchange Management Console under Recipient Configuration.)
    • Configure mobile features, policies, and device security settings using the Exchange System Manager. (For Exchange Server 2007, these features and settings are configured in the Exchange Management Console.)
    • Download and install the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Mobile Administration
    Web Tool, which is necessary for remote wipe. (For Exchange Server 2007, remote wipe can be initiated from Outlook Web Access or the Exchange Management Console.)
    No mention of the Cellular Network here in the setup! What a JOKE!
    BlackBerrys, here in my enterprise, are setup and managed over the Cellular Network...this is a joke for Apple to tout this as "Enterprise Ready"...
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 06-12-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out, from all the "Enterprise" diagrams and articles on the iPhone web site, where this fits into the Enterprise over the CELLULAR Network?

Can someone explain to me where the email push and all the other "Enterprise" features they added, are done over a cellular network?
    mobileMe is equivalent to Blackberry network for consumer users. And corporates will use Microsoft Exchange, mobileMe Apple's answer to no background apps also, I asked my self how would instant messaging clients work without running in the background to receive alerts.

Will mobileMe will push the new message, if you chose, you will then on the instant messaging client. Apple wants you to think that iPhone is the "fastest" device by blocking background but it also provide a strong solution mobileMe. I know many of you will say why do I have to pay for that, well I purchase .Mac as soon as it became available for a simple back to my mac feature.

am23, I am sure you will be able to input eastern characters with the bold, maybe will key combinations. I have not once enter a eastern character into a device, and do not have any experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    No mention of the Cellular Network here in the setup! What a JOKE!
    BlackBerrys, here in my enterprise, are setup and managed over the Cellular Network...this is a joke for Apple to tout this as "Enterprise Ready"...
    Again, myself and many iPhone users agree that Blackberry is superior in corporate communications, and won't be top anytime soon.

However Apple's half of Apple's statement for the corporate environment is its operating ability and software. Exchange is a network base client, however mobile applications to accept mobile access to the Exchange Server through the cellular data connection is readily available for the iPhone.
    Last edited by huyanhle; 06-12-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast