Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 228

It is exclusively for Verizon, but if they fail tomeet RIM's quota for it. There ... Smartphone News forum

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PIN/ID
    LESS
    Posts
    1,757

    Advertisement



    It is exclusively for Verizon, but if they fail tomeet RIM's quota for it. There are going ot be great reprocussions.

  2. #182
    barneyrubble's Avatar
    barneyrubble no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by RSCStacker View Post
    Yes MobileMe
    As has been stated here several times, mobileme is more than just mail calendar and contacts. It is aimed squarely at the home/non enterprise user. And yes it will cost you- but it is not the same as BES, and far more than you get on BIS.

    Enterprise email, like BES, is using the microsoft activesynch technology to talk to the exchange server, which already long time proven, and I know a number of companies who use it in anger (unfortunately not mine).

    It comes down to a set of requirements:

    Enterprise:
    Lotus Domino mail - no real option but BES at the moment.

    Exchange - buy a bes and pay for bes admin, support etc, $10 per month to rim.

    Alternatively use either windows mobile or iphone to synch using direct push. You can run it oin your existing architecture with your existing exchange admins.

    Personal user:

    Only interested in mail _
    - BIS

    Interested in calendar, contacts, tasks (not sure about tasks actually), photos etc, then mobileme is the option.

    Each has its niche now. I will continue to use both.

    Each device will have its users too , heavy keyboard useage, a lot of typing and replies to emails - get a blackberry.

    Mainly a viewer of messages and PIM data, the iphone is the better device for that.

    Personally, I have both a bold and the new 3g iphone on order.

    Vodafone have said end of july for the bold, not sure how accurate that will be, o2 say july 11 for the iphone. Each will have its use as far as I am concerned.

  3. #183
    ChrisMc73's Avatar
    ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
    The Iphone contract comes with as much Data as you can eat - so no extra cost for that.

    <EDIT> At least here in the UK Anyway
    Here in US, you need a "data plan" which is like $30 a month.
    Barney, have you setup an iPhone, via Exchange/ActiveSync yet?
    I think maybe you said before you were the BES admin for your company right?
    Just curious to know if you had and how the support is going...etc...

  4. #184
    Julian22's Avatar
    Julian22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    28
    Good comparison

    One big issue is that iPhone widgets can not run simultaneously. Unlike BlackBerry where applications can run in the background.

  5. #185
    kellycarter's Avatar
    kellycarter no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    16
    I agree that RIM needs to continue attacking Apple with innovation and cost-effectiveness. Please don't mock what Apple has done. They are dead serious, and they can just keep getting better. Each company will make the other stronger, and we consumers will benefit. Just buy the best product. For me, it's still a BlackBerry.

    Great post, Hayden!

    Kelly Carter http://blackberry8130.wordpress.com

  6. #186
    barneyrubble's Avatar
    barneyrubble no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    Here in US, you need a "data plan" which is like $30 a month.
    Barney, have you setup an iPhone, via Exchange/ActiveSync yet?
    I think maybe you said before you were the BES admin for your company right?
    Just curious to know if you had and how the support is going...etc...
    Not yet, I'm waiting for the production V2 software to come up. I wanted to get on the beta but that was only for Companies in the US when I looked, they may have opened it up to others now, but I can wait.

    All my Exchange Direct push experience is with Windows Mobile devices. It works really well even with WM6, which is not the most stable OS ever.

    How much would a voice and data iphone contract be in the US then? It statrts at Ł35 / month over here.

    O2 are also allowing people to upgrade their 2G iphones to 3g ones at the same price as buying a new one, as long as you resign your 18 month contract.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PIN/ID
    LESS
    Posts
    1,757
    Gotta agree nothing beats the BlackBerry for me, but I may just jump on the Apple boat and see how the iPhone treats me as a personal device..iPhone 2.0 and Bold what a combo!!

  8. #188
    ChrisMc73's Avatar
    ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
    Not yet, I'm waiting for the production V2 software to come up. I wanted to get on the beta but that was only for Companies in the US when I looked, they may have opened it up to others now, but I can wait.

    All my Exchange Direct push experience is with Windows Mobile devices. It works really well even with WM6, which is not the most stable OS ever.

    How much would a voice and data iphone contract be in the US then? It statrts at Ł35 / month over here.

    O2 are also allowing people to upgrade their 2G iphones to 3g ones at the same price as buying a new one, as long as you resign your 18 month contract.
    Well, my carrier, AT&T, a typical voice plan is $40 - $60 for normal usage (450-900 mins), people who talk more can benefit from the $99 unlimited plan...then for the data its another $45 unlimited plan...so a total month it would be around $100-$150...a month.

  9. #189
    ChrisMc73's Avatar
    ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
    Personally, I have both a bold and the new 3g iphone on order.

    Vodafone have said end of july for the bold, not sure how accurate that will be, o2 say july 11 for the iphone. Each will have its use as far as I am concerned.
    HOW and WHERE did you get to order a BOLD and iPHONE 2.0? Please share.

  10. #190
    barneyrubble's Avatar
    barneyrubble no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10
    We put a preorder in for a few Bold's in with Vodafone this week. As BES admin I get the first one

    O2 are taking indications of interest. I'm told on a first come first served basis. I placed mine in the first hour :-)

  11. #191
    cherrichiodo's Avatar
    cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Posts
    17,164
    Quote Originally Posted by kellycarter View Post
    I agree that RIM needs to continue attacking Apple with innovation and cost-effectiveness. Please don't mock what Apple has done. They are dead serious, and they can just keep getting better. Each company will make the other stronger, and we consumers will benefit. Just buy the best product. For me, it's still a BlackBerry.

    Great post, Hayden!

    Kelly Carter http://blackberry8130.wordpress.com
    hey kelly, you are dead right.

    remember apple is coming in a little late in the game too ... so i don't doubt at some point they will catch up with the BB functionality (and as said above about the job listing, sounds like RIM is on it ). but as it has been said several times already in this thread and well heck, in this forum, it comes down to what you need your device TO DO ... ive really never seen apple too interested in the corporate market anyway, so for now, its 100% consumer based. while rim is the opposite. only time will tell.

    the comparison, for what its worth, was PERFECT for THIS forum and it's users.

  12. #192
    midtoad's Avatar
    midtoad no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1
    @Big-O, if you currently live in Canada but will be going to business school in the US come September, wait and get a US phone on a US plan. Canadian wireless data is at least twice as expensive as US plans, so over the next few years while you are in school you will save enough to buy a new MacBook - or whatever.

    Comments on the comparison, from someone who uses a BB (lowly 7250) and WinMo smartphone at work and an iPod Touch for play:

    Some people say the iPhone screen isn't much larger so it's no big deal. Well, it is a big deal, especially since the Bold screen doesn't rotate. The iPhone screen blows away most everything else out there. If you want to watch videos or browse the web, get an iPhone or an iPod Touch. The Blackberry browser is lame, but fortunately you can install Opera, which makes for a big improvement.

    Data input on the iPhone sucks. There, I've said it. Even the miniscule keypad on the BB is better than the hunt-n-peck on-screen keyboard on the iPhone. Worse, the new iPhone won't allow you to pair any Bluetooth keyboards, not even Apple's beautiful Wireless Keyboard. If you need to enter more than a sentence or two, the Bold wins by a long shot.

    If you are in Canada, you will only be able to buy the iPhone on a THREE year plan. Think about that - do you actually even own or use any devices that are three years old? iPhone v.5 will be out before you're done paying Rogers for this current one with all of its deficiencies. Furthermore, thanks to our ongoing wireless spectrum auction soon wrapping up, by next year there will be a new national wireless provider, and competition will heat up. Anyone who signs up for a three year plan right now is STUPID.

    The iPhone has the superior music- and video-playing experience, but alas you have to used cabled earphones or headphones with it; no stereo bluetooth headset for you!

    I've been waiting patiently for the iPhone to arrive in Canada. And now that it is almost here, I can't say I'll buy one. Here's my recommendation. Buy a Bold, or a new Nokia N95, or any other device you can buy outright without a long-term commitment, and you'll get access to all of the functionality that's missing in the iPhone. Then, buy an iPod Touch for the wonderful web browsing when you're in a WiFi hotspot.

    cheers
    S

  13. #193
    colby89's Avatar
    colby89 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1
    You forgot to mention a user replaceable battery! no having to send the phone to apple for a replacement....or the ability to keep a spare on hand for when one talks for more than 5 hours...BB hands down!

  14. #194
    ChrisMc73's Avatar
    ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
    We put a preorder in for a few Bold's in with Vodafone this week. As BES admin I get the first one

    O2 are taking indications of interest. I'm told on a first come first served basis. I placed mine in the first hour :-)
    Nice Perks! ha! I'm jealous!

  15. #195
    iemochifuchida's Avatar
    iemochifuchida no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2
    wow..its really great!..i think i want to change my current bb7290 to the new brand BB Bold ;-) how much the price!!! anybody know how much the price?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •