Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 LastLast

Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 I'm not cherry picking to flame, I'm a big fan of ... Smartphone News forum

huyanhle no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    I'm not cherry picking to flame, I'm a big fan of the iPhone and the Bold. Also a big Apple fan, love the computers and OS, and also love RIM, love'em both!

I'm just trying to explain that Apple has sort of misconstrued or brushed over lightly and maybe even misreprestended the "Enterprise Ready" issue.

Please explain to me how, if I have this new iPhone 2.0, and I'm out and about in the world, where there is no WiFi conntection, no internet, just my cell carrier and my 3G connection, how am I going to get my emails/calendar/contacts from the Exchange ActiveSync, via my AT&T cellular network? What about if I'm with T-Mobile? Or what about Sprint? Or Verizon? How is Exchange/ActiveSync sending me my information via the cellular network? Its not going to. What good is that?

Getting corporate email, is not out of the box, for the iPhone. There are lots of contingents with the IT admins and security, etc...its not a simple, I go get my iPhone 2.0 and expect my work email to just start coming to me. As Apple is sort of touting it is...thats what I'm trying to say.

Would be great if it were, I'd be even a bigger fan, but right not its not there yet, but Apple is claiming they are! Thats whats bugging me.
    First of I want to say sorry for everyone that my previous comments have offended. I am simply breaking down the comparison that I believe didn't fully show the functions of the iPhone, just to help anyone who may buy the iPhone as a toy not become misinformed. I understand that I am on Blackberry's ground, but I feel every device deserves a reasonable comparison. Out of the box states for any device does it no justice.

ChrisMc73, I definitely agree with you, the situation you described above about the cut of any form data connection will render the iPhone a portable gaming handheld and an iPod.

That be the reason I said Blackberry Network will not competition anytime soon. But reality is, unless we experience history's biggest solar flare, we're save from that situation. If T-Mobile were to go down, and my clients are a top priority. I wouldn't mind roaming to AT&T's network.

barneyrubble no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by obione View Post
    Even thou the Bold has a smaller screen it look like from the comparison, I think the Bold is a much better and faster machine.

Plus why would I pay $99yr for a personal push email application, no way.

dude BOLD all the way.
    With all due respect, until they are released how on earth wil lyou know that?

Also, how much do you think RIM are getting from your contract every month? You are paying them $10 each month for the access to their network. Just let's keepit to the facts.

kilofox no está en línea Stack level 1
    Plus why would I pay $99yr for a personal push email application, no way.
    MobileMe is way way more than push email. If you dont need push calendar or contacts etc etc... then MobileMe or Personal BES isnt for you, but if it is, its cheaper than personal BES account.

Thank you BARNEY! Finally...some techy talk. Ok, but I'm still not understanding where the "CELL" network comes into play? I understand the Exchange/ActiveSync idea and what it does, pushing the email/calendar/contacts, but HOW?...how is Exchange talking to my cellular network? What is it using? From the diagrams on Apple.com its not using the cellular network, you are required to open up PORT 443 and use SSL and all this other stuff, no mention of the cellular network. What is it I'm not getting?

My company is Domino based too, so iPhone is not an option right now. But I'm trying to understnd this Exchange stuff...and how its talking to the cell network.
    It does it on a basic IP address level. Your Data contract gets you an IP address, you are on the internet and the Data transfer is handled like any other Point to point internet connection, using SSL encryption. As far as Exchange is concerned, you are not on a "Cell" network, but you are just another device on the internet. That's why you can use the 3G connection, or WLAN if you are connected to an Access Point.

ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ok that is more clear...I might have more questions later.

obione no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa759c
    Quote Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
    With all due respect, until they are released how on earth wil lyou know that?

Also, how much do you think RIM are getting from your contract every month? You are paying them $10 each month for the access to their network. Just let's keepit to the facts.
    Actually I don't pay at all my employers pays my phone bill.

Actually I don't pay at all my employers pays my phone bill.
    The argument is still the same. For your device someone is paying $10/month to RIM.

The Mobileme is aimed at the home user, Activesynch is aimed at the corporate. Activesynch you pay nothing to anyone, so it would actually be cheaper for your company :-)

ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
    The argument is still the same. For your device someone is paying $10/month to RIM.

The Mobileme is aimed at the home user, Activesynch is aimed at the corporate. Activesynch you pay nothing to anyone, so it would actually be cheaper for your company :-)
    But, fromw what Barney is saying, ActiveSync/Exchange requires an IP which is giving when you purchase a dataplan from your cell carrier...so it does cost to have even that, you still need your own data plan, but if you are lucky, and your employer pays your data plan, like mine, its not out of your pocket.

But, fromw what Barney is saying, ActiveSync/Exchange requires an IP which is giving when you purchase a dataplan from your cell carrier...so it does cost to have even that, you still need your own data plan, but if you are lucky, and your employer pays your data plan, like mine, its not out of your pocket.
    The Iphone contract comes with as much Data as you can eat - so no extra cost for that.

<EDIT> At least here in the UK Anyway

PIN/ID
    LESS
    But if you wish to sync with microsoft exchange you need to pay a ee in order to use it.
    Last edited by RSCStacker; 06-12-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RSCStacker View Post
    But if you wish to sync with microsfot exchange you need to pay a ee in order to use it.
    Sorry - don't follow that one?

PIN/ID
    LESS
    You know setting up Enterprise email on the iPhone will cost you more money..

Quote Originally Posted by RSCStacker View Post
    You know setting up Enterprise email on the iPhone will cost you more money..
    How? it's free - that's the whole point of Direct push. Activesynch is included in Iphone V2. You're thinking of mobileme, which is for people without Exchange.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Yes MobileMe

bodigrd no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    249FBE2A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I heard the BB Thunder touch screen is exclusively Verizon.