Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 ... LastLast

I was really looking forward to the new iPhone, because i'm dying for the day ... Smartphone News forum

Longshot9 no está en línea Stack level 1

Advertisement

I was really looking forward to the new iPhone, because i'm dying for the day when my phone and mp3 player are 1 device. I've been a blackberry user since the 957's, and have had at least 6 of them... currently using an 8800. But the one thing the iPhone needed for me to try it was enough memory to hold my music (my current mp3 player has 28gb's of music and audio books on it, 70+ with movies and tv shows). But it fell short again. I'll keep using the blackberry and will probably upgrade to the Bold cause I want 3G... but as for video and audio, blackberry is useless imo. Takes way to long to convert video to a format it can read (at least for the limited formats the 8800 can read), the screen is too small to enjoy any movie or long tv show, and while audio sounds fine on it... the player is a TOTAL joke. The bold better have a better music player on it.

huyanhle no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
    Where in the arcitecture is the "Cellular Network" mentioned with Exchange and ActiveSync for iPhone? Did you read the setup instructions? No mention of a cellular network, its all done with opening port 443 on your network, and setting up other Exchange options, but nothing is done over the cell network, its all WAN/LAN.

Sorry...show me the cellular network setup with iPhone.
    I never said administrating the iPhone is done on the cellular network, I said it can still sync and push information through the cell data network.

Applications soon to be available in the App Store, and to be developed, will be able to access the Exchange server outside of the LAN network. It's the same for Windows Mobile users, once I am outside of the LAN, the iPhone will use my cellular network's 3G or EDGE connection to establish connection to the exchange server.

Are you a BlackBerry Admin, do you understand the arcitecture and how it works, and how its different than this "Exchange/Active Sync" setup?
    I am not a Blackberry Network admin, but ChrisMC73 are you really reading and taking in facts or are you cherry picking to flame at the iPhone. I said for the consumer (not the corporate guy) yes, mobileMe is equivalent to the Blackberry Network. However I never said both had the same architecture.

I never said Exchange/Active Sync and Blackberry Network is the same, but I have said in an corporate environment, both does it's job at pushing email, and PIM.

Quote Originally Posted by courtlandre View Post
    This is a horribly biased "comparison". I do not have an iPhone, I have owned a blackberry, I currently own a Windows Mobile device (which has its advantages).

1) Device Messaging- Both are capable of many different messengers. Blackberry messenger was worthless to me because my friends didn't have blackberries.

2) Camera- 5x digital zoom. Really? You realize digital zoom just takes the picture and crops is right? I bet apple (if not already planned) will add this functionality.

3) Video Playback- iPhone blows away blackberry. If you disagree then you have never tried them both.

4) GPS- Assisted GPS is far superior than standard GPS. Assisted GPS IS normal GPS that used cell towers to find a satellite lock faster. My phone currently has A-GPS and I get a lock within 2 minutes while driving.

5) Memory- 16GB microsd? Those DO NOT exist yet.

6) iPhone has other features that the bold does not have, accelerometer for one.

Is the bold going to be awesome? Yes. Is the iPhone 2.0 going to be awesome? Yes. Will I own either one? Not unless they are released for Sprint on the sero plan.

When you make a comparison, please try to make it unbiased.
    I must say thank you that everyone is not close minded and a fan boy. Finally someone who has really understand technical capibilites and market strategy.

However I must disagree with aGPS, actual GPS is is far more precise (for example a hiking trip) but A-GPS will indeed acquire a much faster signal then GPS. It's speculated Apple did not make it GPS to save battery life, and it's cost effective.

But I do want to point out the digital as courtlandre said, digital zoom is expanding a digital image and should not even make it to a comparison chart. If either device have the preprocessing capabilities, 10+x real time digital zoom should not be a problem.

For a truly unbias comparison, it should not be on an BB/iPhone dedicated forum, rather experience savy users with both devices.

Quote Originally Posted by huyanhle View Post
    I must say thank you that everyone is not close minded and a fan boy. Finally someone who has really understand technical capibilites and market strategy.

However I must disagree with aGPS, actual GPS is is far more precise (for example a hiking trip) but A-GPS will indeed acquire a much faster signal then GPS in a populated area. It's speculated Apple did not make it GPS to save battery life, and it's cost effective.

But I do want to point out the digital as courtlandre said, digital zoom is expanding a digital image and should not even make it to a comparison chart. If either device have the preprocessing capabilities, 10+x real time digital zoom should not be a problem.

For a truly unbias comparison, it should not be on an BB/iPhone dedicated forum, rather experience savy users with both devices.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Finally someone who has really understand technical capibilites and market strategy.

However I must disagree with aGPS
    Thanks for that

PIN/ID
    LESS
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~wasnt the BlackBerry Bold supposed to come equipped with A-GPS? Or did that change somewhere along the way?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

What? This is a bb forum? I musta got lost!

etervotion no está en línea Stack level 2
    what it really comes down to is personal preference. Now a days, phones come with everything, but it doesn't mean we need everything. Some people get the new "gadget" for the sake of just owning it and showing it off. Ill admit, i did once want the iphone cuz i thought it was the "coolest" thing in the world. Then later i thought to myself, what? no bluetooth file transfer? no mms? For me, email is important and messaging above all things. If music and movie playback were important, i would probably be an iphone owner today. Apple entered with their "new" 3g iphone with some extra specs at a cheaper price. Nice way to come and "persuade" people to their iphone. Is it a better phone? Ask yourself! Do you like to "touch? the screen? " or would you rather have a keyboard that you can feel (very important to me). Do you need stereo bluetooth? Do you want a wider screen? Everyone needs to just stop buying something just because of a name or what not and realize that purchase the phone that does what YOU want it to do. Its great to see a comparison but at the same time we can point out why the iphone could be better (but we will let the fanboys deal with that). I respect both companies but for MY OWN personal use, the bold is a better phone.

ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I am not a Blackberry Network admin, but ChrisMC73 are you really reading and taking in facts or are you cherry picking to flame at the iPhone. I said for the consumer (not the corporate guy) yes, mobileMe is equivalent to the Blackberry Network. However I never said both had the same architecture.

I never said Exchange/Active Sync and Blackberry Network is the same, but I have said in an corporate environment, both does it's job at pushing email, and PIM.
    I'm not cherry picking to flame, I'm a big fan of the iPhone and the Bold. Also a big Apple fan, love the computers and OS, and also love RIM, love'em both!

I'm just trying to explain that Apple has sort of misconstrued or brushed over lightly and maybe even misreprestended the "Enterprise Ready" issue.

Please explain to me how, if I have this new iPhone 2.0, and I'm out and about in the world, where there is no WiFi conntection, no internet, just my cell carrier and my 3G connection, how am I going to get my emails/calendar/contacts from the Exchange ActiveSync, via my AT&T cellular network? What about if I'm with T-Mobile? Or what about Sprint? Or Verizon? How is Exchange/ActiveSync sending me my information via the cellular network? Its not going to. What good is that?

Getting corporate email, is not out of the box, for the iPhone. There are lots of contingents with the IT admins and security, etc...its not a simple, I go get my iPhone 2.0 and expect my work email to just start coming to me. As Apple is sort of touting it is...thats what I'm trying to say.

Would be great if it were, I'd be even a bigger fan, but right not its not there yet, but Apple is claiming they are! Thats whats bugging me.

kilofox no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    You failed to mention that Apple's MobileMe is an extra $99/year!
    I would love to have MobileMe on my Curve.

Push Email, Calendar, Contacts ... In order to get that I would have to have a BES account, which I last checked wasnt free for us BIS users.

Now throw in 20GB of storage, iDisk, Photosharing, syncing to Mac and PC clients.

You can get Dot Mac at Amazon for $70 at Amazon. All Dot Mac accounts get ported over the MobileMe for free. I have never ever paid full retail for .Mac/MobileMe.

$5.83 a month for Exchange-Like capabilities (except Tasks) and all the other goodies thrown in.... I would love to use it with my Curve.

Sure BIS is free with your Blackberry, all it is is push email. MobileMe is more and costs less than a personal BES account... in fact far far less.

I am disappointed that RIM doesnt show Mac users any love. They have yet to present a native Desktop Client for Mac, and instead tell us to use Pocketmac (free, but very very buggy) or pay for MissingSync (which works rather well. but wont upgrade firmware or install apps). I realize that RIM is supposedly developing a native Desktop for Mac, but it has yet to appear. Meanwhile, Apple out of the gate makes MobileMe work on Mac and PC.....

Shame on you RIM.
    Last edited by kilofox; 06-12-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Huyanhle,

Please explain to me how the Exchange/ActiveSync handles the push email/calendars/contacts over the cellular network...please? I'm not an Exchange admin, so I'm really curious to know. I'm trying to figure it out.
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 06-12-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    I would love to have MobileMe on my Curve.

Push Email, Calendar, Contacts ... In order to get that I would have to have a BES account, which I last checked wasnt free for us BIS users.

Now throw in 20GB of storage, iDisk, Photosharing, syncing to Mac and PC clients.

You can get Dot Mac at Amazon for $70 at Amazon. All Dot Mac accounts get ported over the MobileMe for free. I have never ever paid full retail for .Mac/MobileMe.

$5.83 a month for Exchange-Like capabilities (except Tasks) and all the other goodies thrown in.... I would love to use it with my Curve.

Sure BIS is free with your Blackberry, all it is is push email. MobileMe is more and costs less than a personal BES account... in fact far far less.

I am disappointed that RIM doesnt show Mac users any love. They have yet to present a native Desktop Client for Mac, and instead tell us to use Pocketmac (free, but very very buggy) or pay for MissingSync (which works rather well. but wont upgrade firmware or install apps). I realize that RIM is supposedly developing a native Desktop for Mac, but it has yet to appear. Meanwhile, Apple out of the gate makes MobileMe work on Mac and PC.....

Shame on you RIM.
    Hey you'll be happy to hear, I was on the BlackBerry/RIM web site looking at jobs, and saw some openings for Apple Developers, they aren't dumb, they are listening and will more than likely have something for Mac's soon...vaporware right now but hiring Apple developers...somethings cooking!

barneyrubble no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm not cherry picking to flame, I'm a big fan of the iPhone and the Bold. Also a big Apple fan, love the computers and OS, and also love RIM, love'em both!

I'm just trying to explain that Apple has sort of misconstrued or brushed over lightly and maybe even misreprestended the "Enterprise Ready" issue.

Please explain to me how, if I have this new iPhone 2.0, and I'm out and about in the world, where there is no WiFi conntection, no internet, just my cell carrier and my 3G connection, how am I going to get my emails/calendar/contacts from the Exchange ActiveSync, via my AT&T cellular network? What about if I'm with T-Mobile? Or what about Sprint? Or Verizon? How is Exchange/ActiveSync sending me my information via the cellular network? Its not going to. What good is that?

Getting corporate email, is not out of the box, for the iPhone. There are lots of contingents with the IT admins and security, etc...its not a simple, I go get my iPhone 2.0 and expect my work email to just start coming to me. As Apple is sort of touting it is...thats what I'm trying to say.

Would be great if it were, I'd be even a bigger fan, but right not its not there yet, but Apple is claiming they are! Thats whats bugging me.
    It really is simple. Have a search on the web for Exchange Direct Push. Works like a dream now with windows mobile devices. As soon as the email arrives in your exchange mailbox, it appears on your windows mobile device. THAT is what Apple have licenced. This will work fine with Exchange 2003 SP2 or later.

All you need is a Standard Data plan, no 3rd party costs (RIM for example) and access to GPRS/Edge/3g. Activesynch on the device maintains the connection between the device and the server and send theupdates across as and when. Works for contacts and calendar as well.

I am the BES admin for the company I work at, so am not an "Iphone Fanboy" although I have one, but just wanted to make it clear what the iphone will and won't be able to do regarding push email.

I use my Curve for my work email as we are Domino based, but for personal email I use my home Exchange server with Direct push, currently to windows mobile, but in the future it will be my iphone.

The reason that RIM brought out the low user Free BES was to combat Exchange Direct push,which is built into Exchange 2003 SP2 or later, and also SBS2003. Smaller companies were finding that the exchange 2003 route with Direct Push was more economically sound.

obione no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa759c
    Even thou the Bold has a smaller screen it look like from the comparison, I think the Bold is a much better and faster machine.

Plus why would I pay $99yr for a personal push email application, no way.

dude BOLD all the way.

Thank you BARNEY! Finally...some techy talk. Ok, but I'm still not understanding where the "CELL" network comes into play? I understand the Exchange/ActiveSync idea and what it does, pushing the email/calendar/contacts, but HOW?...how is Exchange talking to my cellular network? What is it using? From the diagrams on Apple.com its not using the cellular network, you are required to open up PORT 443 and use SSL and all this other stuff, no mention of the cellular network. What is it I'm not getting?

My company is Domino based too, so iPhone is not an option right now. But I'm trying to understnd this Exchange stuff...and how its talking to the cell network.
    Last edited by ChrisMc73; 06-12-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 ... LastLast