Phone companies have long battled each other for customers, but now they're also fighting for ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Phonemakers fight for software developers

Advertisement

Phone companies have long battled each other for customers, but now they're also fighting for the loyalty of developers: coders who create bite-sized software applications for mobile devices.

These programs run the gamut from mapping services that show you where your friends are to live traffic information to mobile versions of games like Tetris and Sudoku. And they're now being heralded as the key to transforming cell phones into pocket computers.

To ensure that the best applications are built for their phones, companies like Google, Apple, and BlackBerry maker Research in Motion are trying to woo developers to their camps.

That's why earlier this year Google kicked off a competition that awards cash prizes to companies creating innovative applications for its Android mobile platform. The search giant has earmarked $10 million for the Android Developer Challenge, for which it says it has received more than 1,700 submissions from around the world. The company recently announced 50 finalists in the competition, including Breadcrumbz, a navigation application that uses photos of streets instead of maps, and BioWallet, which has created security software that scans eyeballs in place of passwords.

RIM has also been trying to generate excitement for its BlackBerry mobile platform. In May the company unveiled the BlackBerry Partners Fund, which will invest $150 million in venture capital money in mobile applications. The company says its new fund will invest in programs created for all phones, not just the BlackBerry. Just a day after announcing the fund, RIM said it would host its first-ever developer conference in October in Santa Clara, Calif. - the heart of the Silicon Valley and home to many application developers.

"Third-party applications are very important to our strategy, both for corporate users and consumers," says Tyler Lessard, director of RIM's developer relations programs. RIM says thousands of third-party applications are available on its phones. Nearly 4,000 can be found on an online store called Handango.
    [read more]
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 08-19-2008 at 02:59 PM.

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Its so pretty....We have over 4000 3rd party applications and google only has 1700

jckatz no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yeah you! A company in business for 5+ years is beating a company with ZERO phones

Anyone want to guess the number of 3rd party apps for palm

Plus I doubt the 4000 #

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    Yeah, but google isn't the only group there beating. Iphone, how many 3rd party applications are their? Plus, they aren't free. You have to go threw itunes to get them.

inc188 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas1125 View Post
    Its so pretty....We have over 4000 3rd party applications and google only has 1700

i dont mind google at all.. .they are a good company and reputable. Kinda like RIM...

apple on the other had I got no respect for... lol

skicson no está en línea Developer
    I love developing for the RIM platform, but for free/ad-supported apps it's difficult to get application visibility with BlackBerry customers other than posting in forums and hoping somebody picks up the post. (unless you're already big like google or facebook)

I think developer contests are nice, but real 3rd party developer loyalty will come from providing access to the customer base. I'd like to see RIM create an AppStore-like feature as a way to reach BlackBerry users.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    RIM's preeminence in the smart phone arena is assured through their competentcy and integrity. It should never be in doubt.
    Soon to be released flip, touch, and querty models incorporating features consumers are clamoring for are indicative of a company far out thinking the competition.
    Assuring the proper funtion of hardware and systems before release represent a company that has it together. (As opposed to the blithering idiots at Apple).
    They are powering up their 3rd party development program with vigor.
    So don't for a minute believe that Blackberry will be supplanted by any smoes who'd like to reinvent RIM's wheel.
    Waterloo has the competentcy and integrity that others are lacking. And they are ten steps ahead of them.

pearl-8100 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245ac9c6
    Quote Originally Posted by skicson View Post
    I love developing for the RIM platform, but for free/ad-supported apps it's difficult to get application visibility with BlackBerry customers other than posting in forums and hoping somebody picks up the post. (unless you're already big like google or facebook)

I think developer contests are nice, but real 3rd party developer loyalty will come from providing access to the customer base. I'd like to see RIM create an AppStore-like feature as a way to reach BlackBerry users.
    That's a good idea. RIM should look into that. I know I would be on that site almost every day lol.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas1125 View Post
    Yeah, but google isn't the only group there beating. Iphone, how many 3rd party applications are their? Plus, they aren't free. You have to go threw itunes to get them.

Actually iphone and Itouch have tons of applications, There not official through apple so there not apple 3rd party apps, but if you jail break your iPhone/Touch the installer has tons of apps. Alot of them are really stupid but they are apps I mind you. But Google now there apps my be limited in number but they all have value to someone