Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My cell phone? In the past three months I have tried to use it literally ... Smartphone News forum

mykeandme no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Outage Monday caused by upgrade designed to increase capacity.

Advertisement

My cell phone? In the past three months I have tried to use it literally two dozen times and and it would not connect or go through. Sometimes for up to an hour at a time. The same with texts. I have spent up to 9 hours without being able to send or receive a text. In other posts and forums it has been said that it is because of my carriers 'growth.' Everyone including RIM snd every customer needs a backup plan for when things go wrong. Doctors, defense and everyone else needs a backup plan as well. When your job is that vital you cannot 100 percent rely on one 'tool'.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja View Post
    I am beginning to wonder if this may be part of why 4.5 is so slow to release. Does RIM foresee a problem handling all the media related bandwidth that would be flying around as millions of consumers enjoy the data heavy features (such as streaming)?
    that's a good point. It's been long overdue.

PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
    I sure hope Boeing or Airbus don't think that way. Or for that matter, your (wired) phone company. How many times over the years have you picked up a phone and not received a dialtone? Think about the implications of extended downtime to BB end users in the Defense and Medical fields. Downtime could have serious impact.

For better or worse, Blackberry units have become indespensible in many professions and loss of service (even briefly) can have serious fallout.

Uptime is sometimes measured in 9s. Five 9s (99.999 percent availability) translates into ~ 2 minutes of downtime per year. There are many companies whose products meet and even exceed that SLA.

Google "Five 9s" and check out some of the hits (I can't post URLs yet).
    Boeing or Airbus are totally unrelated examples. Lets not get things mixed, all those flights have max capacity and loads etc and there's no matter how many millions of people fly each fight still adhears to the basic safty requirements for each flight. However, in the build process, they delayed the latest large airbus by months and issued an apologetic statement.

What we refer to here is yes the five nines, uptime. Web hosting, ISP's etc but those with similar growth issues. You won't find a phone company with a stable subscriber base suffering from outages, that would be simple inexcusable. Lets compare comparable rapid increase of load-demand companies... data routing, management and hosting, not flights.

On the other hand downtime WILL have some negative effect on any company. There's been far more Carrier outages than RIM outages in the past year that for certain.

If RIM still had 6M users we wont be talking about outages today. That where the comparisons have to begin. iphone heavy AT&T would make a good comparison:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=504 (5 hours)
    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2208611/loses-edge (8 hours)

Hey even the great Google has grwoing pains right now. So we have to be careful of sending to many people there to search their servers:
    http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/080117-150547

All in all, these are transitional phases for most companies the BB network - and what a wide area it covers - included. Lets keep our fingers crossed because we are all are unhappy when anything we rely on heavily fails.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

I know it must be terribly hard to keep a network as large as RIM has running. I wonder what their structure looks like as far as redundancy. I don't want RIM to get the reputation of having great devices, when our netwok is up...we're already under a microscope with every outage and hiccup anyway.

A 3 hour outage can be huge to mobile professionals and I'm sure some IT groups will start looking for alternatives if this keeps up. We can get cheaper wm phones and use direct push for free now.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

bostonnerd no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Boeing or Airbus are totally unrelated examples. Lets not get things mixed, all those flights have max capacity and loads etc and there's no matter how many millions of people fly each fight still adhears to the basic safty requirements for each flight. However, in the build process, they delayed the latest large airbus by months and issued an apologetic statement.
    *******Snipped*******

Good points but I respectfully disagree. A quote from the second URL sums it up:
    "they brought the entire network down by working on the routing infrastructure with no backup route in place"

That isn't due to growth, it's due to either complete stupidity or a complete disregard for their customer base. In this case the outage could have been easily avoided.

There are many advanced Technology solutions that can non disruptably scale even with customer growth. I'm heavily involded in them on a regular basis.

PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
    Good points but I respectfully disagree. A quote from the second URL sums it up:
    "they brought the entire network down by working on the routing infrastructure with no backup route in place"

That isn't due to growth, it's due to either complete stupidity or a complete disregard for their customer base. In this case the outage could have been easily avoided.

There are many advanced Technology solutions that can non disruptably scale even with customer growth. I'm heavily involded in them on a regular basis.
    Let's hope RIM finds someone like you then and gets up to par with the rest of the industry.

blue_eyedmonkey no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Outage Monday caused by upgrade designed to increase capacity.

I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I am still getting messages 5-10 hours late. I have gotten all of Mondays emails(anything sent between 6am and now) by now, but all of my gmail pushed emails have not come through. This has been happening in the last 24 hours. Suddenly 14-20 emails come through all at once. No need to tell me to "reboot" et al. Done so several times.

So...is it just me?

wordthenerd Guest

BIS is down again. Browser won't connect. Socket connections unavailable.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by blue_eyedmonkey View Post
    I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I am still getting messages 5-10 hours late. I have gotten all of Mondays emails(anything sent between 6am and now) by now, but all of my gmail pushed emails have not come through. This has been happening in the last 24 hours. Suddenly 14-20 emails come through all at once. No need to tell me to "reboot" et al. Done so several times.

So...is it just me?
    It's not. My Yahoo mail is not being pushed to my bb. I am receiving in spurts. The original outage didn't affect me, but since noon I have been dealing with major delays (except with my blackberry address). Only thing that seems to temporarily help is pushing down the mail service books.

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja View Post
    It's not. My Yahoo mail is not being pushed to my bb. I am receiving in spurts. The original outage didn't affect me, but since noon I have been dealing with major delays (except with my blackberry address). Only thing that seems to temporarily help is pushing down the mail service books.
    Grrr... I want part of my monthly service fee back.*stomps feet* I don't have my BB through my primary employer, but I use it for all internet access outside of work...consulting, communicating with clients. I pay for the service, as we all do, for the immediate connection.

I wonder if it is a specific issue with their router communications with other mail servers. If it continues I will be contacting them tomorrow morning. I may start by call BB service at Tmobile, cuz I am sure this problem is more wide spread.

evo8coop no está en línea Stack level 3

while i am on jive talk i cant send messages all time since the outage and my bb has been acting weird on the internet and jive talk ive never had this problem

Cracked Out no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Pls!

I thought it was just me. I didn't have any problems yesterday with the outage but today I have had trouble sending text messages while my bluetooth was activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Out View Post
    I thought it was just me. I didn't have any problems yesterday with the outage but today I have had trouble sending text messages while my bluetooth was activated.

RIMs new router system was bought in Chinatown and it has Gremlins. *80's reference*

ChrisMc73 no está en línea Stack level 3

I'm not that worried about the outage(s), RIM/BlackBerry can do what they want, they are the MOST reliable phone/service out there, IMHO, and so as long as they continue to innovate for my needs, as they have for years, I'm fine with them.

You have to have some glitches when testing new stuff, and this one wasn't a big deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12