Read a New York Times article that illustrates how far behind we are in the ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Our smartphones not so smart?

Advertisement

Read a New York Times article that illustrates how far behind we are in the smartphone market. Then again, according to the article, maybe we're not.

From a NY Times Article:

"At first glance, Japanese cellphones are a gadget lover’s dream: ready for Internet and e-mail, they double as credit cards, boarding passes and even body-fat calculators. But it is hard to find anyone in Chicago or London using a Japanese phone like a Panasonic, a Sharp or an NEC. Despite years of dabbling in overseas markets, Japan’s handset makers have little presence beyond the country’s shores..."

Rest is here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Interesting article. I'm not sure what to think about all of it? Do they lack leadership strong enough to set certain goals in the software used or are they unable to decide on a design?

Sounds like there are hundreds of different models of phones with the same amount of software to run them and nothing is unified. I see they don't care to much about how they interact with a PC and that would be another mistake unless they are leaving out of the article a different method of managing the data?

Good read tho. thx

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Yeah, the part about custom tailored OS' leads me to believe there is no consistency in the software. I wonder how that works with troubleshooting. Oh lord, imagine The Stacks if there were no consistency in the software. However, I do wonder how it is that they've managed to pack so much hardware into these phones and we're screaming at carriers about getting Wi-Fi, GPS, AND 3G in all of ours.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    I think the thing is that their phones are closer to being pcs' that there would be no need to conect it to a pc or laptop. Everything they would use a pc for is on their cell phones. I imagine soon enough though that our phones will reach that stage soon enough. And if they can sucessfully market a phone in the US, Europe and Canada with those abilities then the iPhone, RIM, and Android phones won't be too far behind trying to compete.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    Sounds like the question should be "why are WE so far behind?"
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    I had an NEC touch phone for a little while, but I didnt really care for it all that much, had some great extras that didnt work worth a crud in the US lol so I dont really care what they do, ill stick with BB
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>