Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The war over browsers on mobile devices just got the equivalent of small army. Opera ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Opera Launches Mini Browser for BlackBerry

Advertisement

The war over browsers on mobile devices just got the equivalent of small army. Opera Software announced late on Oct. 24 that Opera Mini, a free Web browser for cell phones, has now been made available for the BlackBerry and Palm Treo handsets.

According to the company, the Mini focuses on enhancing image rendering speed performance through a server-based component that condenses Web pages, and helps decrease the size of the data that is transferred.

"Opera Mini is a no-frills, instant gateway to the World Wide Web on today's basic line of mobile phones," said Rolf Assev, chief commercial officer of Opera Software in a company statement.

"But we see folks in the industry who are thrilled to use it on higher-end devices. People who are accustomed to mobile browsing in addition to e-mailing or texting, enjoy the speed and reliability Opera Mini offers on today's professional handsets. The fact is, it's a choice available to everyone, novice or pro."

Since Opera Mini's inception in February of this year, the product has gone over the 1 billion mark in pages viewed, according to Opera. -- Read More | More Opera Mini

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Re: Opera Launches Mini Browser for BlackBerry

Not really sure what to think about this. Ive been setting people up with Opera Mini forever now. In fact, I just reinstalled it on my new 8700 last night.

So I guess my question is, why are they just now saying something about it. I mean I beta tested the Blackberry version early this year. And its been available longer than Ive been a member of Pinstack.

I would like to ask if anyone has used the opera 9 PC browser? And what did you think about it? Was it better than FireFox?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I installed opera on my PC to try it and hated it. I am a complete FireFox supporter. I just wish FF would make a browser for BB!

CAPONE no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    300C099E

Opera won't work on my Bell Mobility without BES.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

I'm with john, is this the same thing I have on my phone now? Is it available ota again?

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Correct guys. Not sure Opera knew how many BB users have been using Mini till recent. I don't think they ever made a big announcement about it, at least not for Blackberry. (It’s been popular on symbian b4). Now, with the growing popularity of Blackberry esp. the 8100 Pearl and partly Treo I think they are making an announcement that should have been made back in Feb this year. Not sure if any updates have been released recently and if these months were beta stage. None the less, I also hope Firefox will be smart enough to have their Dev team come up with something.... FAST!

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~is it possible to have opera mini as my default browser instead of thr bb browser? Thanks

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

No flash24. Sorry. While opera is good, the Blackberry browser is still the better of the 2. Opera is really only good for those sites you cant get to thru your regular browser.

jchapman01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a51ff4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im kinda new with my BB, but as far as I know you can only use it as an app. I don't think you can make it your default browser. Atleast I havnt figured it out yet.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ok thanks for the reply john!

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have always liked opera browser on the desktop .the speed is faster than any browser I know.and opera mini works great. Its nice to see a company focus on one thing and do it well.

NightFire no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Wheel

Is there any way to adjust the text box? Opera-Mini is great except for the limited amount of text I can enter.

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

Thumbs up Re: Opera Launches Mini Browser for BlackBerry

Quote Originally Posted by johnj41
    No flash24. Sorry. While opera is good, the Blackberry browser is still the better of the 2. Opera is really only good for those sites you cant get to thru your regular browser.
    Part two of your answer I've been dying to know! Thanks...

deezndc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3034d119

Thank heavens for the Pinstack gurus. As I was reading the front page I was like "Is this something new or an update" and sure enough it's already been answered. Thanks again for all the help!
    "A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to."

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
    - Bernard Bailey

djscribbles no está en línea Stack level 1

umm im new at this but i was wonderin if i could download opera mini on my computer then upload it to my bb by my bb desktop manager.. cause i have no browser on my bb what so ever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast