Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Premier wants crackdown on distracted drivers Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said he wants to see ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Ontario Premier wants law against cell phone use while driving

Advertisement

Premier wants crackdown on distracted drivers

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said he wants to see put a law in place that cracks down on drivers doing things that distract them while they're behind the wheel.

Earlier this month, three young women were killed when they made a U-turn directly onto the path of a truck. A police investigation showed the young driver was speaking on her cell phone at the time.

McGuinty said he's spoken with police about cracking down on people who drive while talking on their phone. The police told the premier the law needs to reach further than just cell phones.

"What about people who tapping on the GPS system? What about people who have road maps open on the steering wheel while they're driving? What about the next gadget that hasn't been invented yet?" McGuinty said the police asked him.

Between having a pet in the car, finding a song on an iPod or texting on a Blackberry, there are a number of distractions to drivers that can easily lead into a serious accident, said the premier.

The Ministry of Transportation is looking into what can be done to keep drivers focused on the road, McGuinty said.

source: ctv.ca

::note:: Beginning July, 2008 anyone in the state of California using a cell will get a ticket. some states vary on laws, as do other countries.

here is a list of countries that ban cell phone use while driving, as well as a break down for the US/50 states.

rjm2009 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    317A896B
    What about hands free devices.... Ive read that in a study its talking to the person that made you more distracted then holding the cell phone.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    I know how he could do it; clone my nine year old son, and put him in the back seat of every car. No driver talks on the phone with Luke in the car.

He's not shy to state that more people are in car accidents because of talking on the phone than from being drunk.

aimz85 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Yhea I live in nova scotia and they passed the law April 1st no driving and talkin on cell phones.. Ya geta fine

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    well unfortunately some people don't know how to multi task
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    When does it all end. Since I was a kid, a long long long long time ago people have undertaken distracting tasks while driving. Let's ban them all.

A list of activities that MUST IMMEDIATELY BECOME ILLEGAL:

Reading books, newspapers, maps, car manuals and the like.
    Applying make-up
    Drinking coffee, juice, coke, or water
    Eating a sandwich, soup from a can, cookies, potato chips
    Talking to passengers, kids, etc
    Talking on cell phones
    Changing CD's
    Smoking
    Texting on the old Blackberry
    Changing gears
    watching street signs, reading sign boards

Oh brother.... Give up and take the bus. Who knew driving to work could become a ticket to a criminal offense?
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

jlphotog no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I drive for one of the major couriers. About two weeks ago we were told if we get caught using our cells phones while driving, we will be suspended for the remainder of that day and the following day.
    If I wasn't crazy, I would go insane.

sddspence no está en línea Stack level 2
    McDonalds french fries could now become a thing of the past then since i know alot of people that eat them while driving.....

PIN/ID
    ATA
    i use my BT in the car...have always tried to at least.

i do find myself responding to bbm sometimes, but what i have done is create a custom word where i type 'dd' and it types out 'driving. bbs' .. so people don't think i am ignoring them

i try to set a good example for my kids

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Yup,in Aus you get $150 fine and 3 demerit points (those add up quick- going through a red light camera or doing 15-20KMs over the speed limit have the same penalty!) Not fun! Haven't been busted on a cell phone but the other two well...let's just say the cops here don't find it too funny when you try to say your ankle isn't calibrated to the metric system yet.

oBBsessed no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    ::note:: Beginning July, 2008 anyone in the state of California using a cell will get a ticket. some states vary on laws, as do other countries.
    Clarification: In CA, hands-free devices will be OK.

In Nashville, I have seen many a police officer talking on a hand-held cell phone while driving a squad car. This is not yet illegal in TN, but you'd think the PD would ban the practice just as a way of setting a good example for other drivers.

PIN/ID
    ATA
    Quote Originally Posted by oBBsessed View Post

In Nashville, I have seen many a police officer talking on a hand-held cell phone while driving a squad car. This is not yet illegal in TN, but you'd think the PD would ban the practice just as a way of setting a good example for other drivers.
    Ya .. I kinda figured the *handsfree* part was understood and the cops in cali are the same way ...

jdiiams no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a04078
    Quote Originally Posted by oBBsessed View Post

ya, the proverbial pot calling the kettle black... i get down on cops around my town 24/8 lol. they don't like it when i call them out for breakin the law very much.

bpd
    bpd no está en línea Stack level 2
    The ontario premier is a left wing A**hole and most don't trust him!

Moridar no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    302686bc
    In Nova Scotia we had driving while on a cell phone banned back on 1 April 08. People are still idiots and getting into an accidents while not paying attention.
    Gave up on Rogers! Went to Telus!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast