Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AT&T is considering ways to encourage customers to use less wireless data as its network ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

NYTimes: AT&T to Urge Customers to Use Less Wireless Data

Advertisement

AT&T is considering ways to encourage customers to use less wireless data as its network struggles to keep up with demand, a company executive said Wednesday.

“What we are seeing in the U.S. today in terms of smartphone penetration, 3G data, nobody else is seeing in the rest of the planet,” Ralph de la Vega, president and chief executive for mobility and consumer markets at AT&T, told analysts at a conference in New York. “The amount of growth and data that we are seeing in wireless data is unprecedented.”

Read More

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    This is both amazing and predictable in a way. Carriers put the capability out there and then, oops, discover that they can't quite handle the load. Instead of going forward to attempt a fix for the problem they decide to "educate their users" in an attempt to get them to cut back" (fat chance) and, perhaps, implement a tiered plan for charging their customers more for higher usage (contract changes coming?)

AT&T's improvement suggestion is to add 2,000 cell towers in the coming year. That would help the signal availability but not the data load problem. And yet they're still trying to grow the business and "working" the customer's cost:

AT&T and other service providers want to be smarter about how they bill customers and maximize all streams of revenue, while growing the number of connected devices and data traffic at the same time
    Color me skeptical and unsympathetic.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    This reminds me of many years ago when I signed up for Free and unlimited Netzero. After Netzero started checking out my usage free was put on the next bus out of town. I dred thinking of what AT& has planned in urging customers to cut down on data usage. Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7D11</i></font>

tavella81 no está en línea Stack level 3
    USE LESS DATA?!??! I can barely keep a 3G signal while sitting at my desk or at home. AT&T should be subsidizing my home ISP since I have to use WiFi to do just about anything on the iPhone or the Bold. de la Vega needs to be dropped like a Sprint CEO IMO. AT&T got greedy and instead of investing their money back in to the data network they put it in their pockets. Now this guy now wants to throw around the idea of penalties towards people who use more data than others? I have no sympathy for AT&T and their inability to project future growth needs and not being able to support the current user base.

All smart phones are required to carry a data plan regardless if you use data or not. I was paying AT&T $20/mo for my "unlimited" messaging plan until MMS was FINALLY enabled for the iPhone. Odd that the iPhone users were charged the same price as other customers who had smart phones that could use MMS.

I took a trip up to North Carolina in September and was in a city about 45 miles west of Charlotte and was shocked to find out I did not have 3G although AT&T wireless has a call center there?!?!

I am with AT&T for one reason only, voice and data at the same time. If I stay in my home area, I'm ok but god forbid I leave my coverage safety net...

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Well if I was an advertising executive for verizon I would have a couple of guys sitting on a park bench discussing how at&t doesn't have enough data for there customers. Who should I go with then well verizon obviously verizon ......... And so on. That would be a good comerical

disturkis4u no está en línea Stack level 3
    It's really difficult to change people's behavior without a proper incentive. They were itching for years for people to use more messaging and data and now they claim they can't handle it although they make a ridiculous profit every year? Cry me a river. I have an idea...they should pay me to NOT use my data only plan blackberry.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile myTouch 3G Build/DRC92) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    What is the love affair with "voice & data at the same time"? If I'm on the phone, I don't care if I receive an email or can surf the web because I'm on the phone. I have Verizon and have EXCELLENT 3G coverage everywhere I go and use about 4500 minutes a month and use a lot of data. I can't remember the last time I needed to have web access while on the phone and if I am on a lengthy phone call and someone sends me an email so urgent I need to get it while on the phone, I would expect a phone call.

I understand "To each their own" but just looking for some insight on why people would sacrifice great coverage for less than mediocre coverage just to have "voice & data".
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

raeford no está en línea Stack level 2
    Simultaneous voice and data is essential to what I do, so this setup works well for me. I would say 95% of my communication with my support groups are done via email and text messages. When I receive these emails, I need to be able to respond in a timely manner. So when I'm on the phone, it's a must. I realize that not everyone needs to know that they immediately have an email while on the phone, but some of use find this extremely useful...and in some cases necessary. BTW...my coverage here in NC is exceptional. I travel frequently and haven't had any problems with my 3G coverage. I guess those commercials don't apply to me.

zakz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Something doesn't sound right.. Wait!.. All of this doesn't sound right.
    If I pay for a service, they should come through... If they can't, I don't see how that is my problem.. They should be working to get me what I've paid/im paying for. Anything less would be a con/false advertising..

8800bruin no está en línea Stack level 3
    Having been with AT&T for a very long time, I mean back during the TDMA days that predate AT&T Wireless (LA Cellular), this is very disconcerting. Having put up with the TDMA to GSM conversion twice (GSM was was so bad initially, I switched back to TDMA for another year), then to the 3G network, I feel I have put up with a lot. But, if AT&T gets rid of the unlimited data plan, it's goodbye AT&T, hello Verizon!

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3
    i'll agree with you, raeford. I dont need to use voice & data simultaneously very often but there have been times when I'm on the phone with tech support (for example) and someone from my group emails me, which I need/should respond to quickly. In those cases, it helps a lot but for most people, this feature is pretty useless.

my service in NY is excellent and rarely have any problems with data & voice coverage.
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    This doesn't surprise me. ATT sucks. They have been sucking for a long time... This just goes to back up and verify every ill opinion I've ever had of ATT. If ATT tries to cap my data usage or charge me even more than I'm already paying now. ATT will no longer have me as a customer. *Scoff* And anyway, it seems as though ATT has already impelemented something for less data usage... My browser hasn't worked worth a crap for about a month to a month and half. The speed of my browser has been cut down to a 1/3 of what it used to be... And no... There is nothing wrong with my phone... Lol

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    I like the tweet that has been going around: "ATT to iPhone users: "There's a cap for that." Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)" Don't know who came up with it, but it's spot on.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by raeford View Post
    Simultaneous voice and data is essential to what I do, so this setup works well for me. I would say 95% of my communication with my support groups are done via email and text messages. When I receive these emails, I need to be able to respond in a timely manner. So when I'm on the phone, it's a must. I realize that not everyone needs to know that they immediately have an email while on the phone, but some of use find this extremely useful...and in some cases necessary. BTW...my coverage here in NC is exceptional. I travel frequently and haven't had any problems with my 3G coverage. I guess those commercials don't apply to me.
    Raeford, NC?
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldengirl75 View Post
    I like the tweet that has been going around: "ATT to iPhone users: "There's a cap for that." Sorry, couldn't resist. :-)" Don't know who came up with it, but it's spot on.
    Hahahahahahhaaaa! I Love It!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast