Should an employee who is given a work-issued BlackBerry device be allowed to use the ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

NYC Workers Are Warned About Personal BlackBerry Use

Advertisement

Should an employee who is given a work-issued BlackBerry device be allowed to use the device to make personal calls and send nonwork e-mail messages? In a warning letter released today, the New York City Conflicts of Interest Board took the position that city employees may only do so if they keep careful track of such activity and reimburse the city for it. The ruling could affect a sizable fraction of the city’s 281,000 full-time employees, who increasingly use BlackBerry devices.

[Read More]

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: NYC Workers Are Warned About Personal BlackBerry Use

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Should an employee who is given a work-issued BlackBerry device be allowed to use the device to make personal calls and send nonwork e-mail messages?
    i think this would make for a wonderful Poll.

BBpush099 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2046327c

I see what the city is trying to enforce here on the phone call side because minutes can cost money especially for overages. But personal email is a little over doing it for me. The phone should have an un-limtied data in the first place and as long as the worker is working when he or she is suppose to be working a personal email when on the bus, at home, dinner etc. shouldn't a problem. If I were the city I would be trying to keep my employees happy instead of watching their every move and trying to charge them for devices they advise them to use. Total control over people is not the answer.
    I'm true to the game called Blackberry!

nvisi0n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30B4DB5C

On the flip side to this upper management in my company does not pay for my BlackBerry, but thinks they should have it's email address and phone number. I don't think so. Call me at home on my day off if you must. My Blackberry is paid personally so it is for personal use.

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8

Quote Originally Posted by nvisi0n View Post
    On the flip side to this upper management in my company does not pay for my BlackBerry, but thinks they should have it's email address and phone number. I don't think so. Call me at home on my day off if you must. My Blackberry is paid personally so it is for personal use.
    yeah mines personal too. this is mor bass ackerds than california. montoring email wich is tecnichly inasion of privacy monitor your meail use her's an idea go buy your own hardware and sim an the esentur fetures an munties in the plan tell the citygove you need a raise an give them the statements for phonebill 6 moths worth an black all the details out fedgove style woith the statments you or the city could write it off as a business expense and the city needs a cheaper carrier

goneinaflash no está en línea Stack level 2

This idiot was on leave of absence. He should not have had any work material with him. Then he lied to his employer while defrauding them. This isn't even a BlackBerry issue. Fire that guy.

If your employer gives you a phone there should be several guidelines involved. I prefer the following. If you have a work issued cell phone/BlackBerry and you are expected to have it away from work then you must be compensated for being on-call. So, allow your employee to use it for personal use in lieu of paying them on-call pay.

Just one persons opinion.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~