Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

via the Washington Post As I was finishing up today's review of Research In Motion's ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

New BlackBerry Phones: Both Sweet And Sour

Advertisement

via the Washington Post

As I was finishing up today's review of Research In Motion's BlackBerry Bold and BlackBerry Storm, a colleague stopped by my desk, curious about the second, heavily-advertised phone. He picked up the Storm (a Verizon Wireless exclusive in the U.S.) briefly tapped away at its SurePress touch-sensitive screen--and pronounced that entire interface unusable and unacceptable.

Now this guy uses an iPhone, so the concept of a touchscreen that also requires pressing down to initiate an action might have just seemed too kooky for him. In contrast, I thought that people used to pressing physical buttons would not find this screen too weird--at least for basic tasks like dialing, as opposed to typing out lengthy e-mails or memos.

Evaluating the Storm required a lot of these subjective judgment calls. Others: How much typing will people do on the thing? Will a typical user be switching from another BlackBerry, from a competing smartphone or from a plain old phone? Given the amount of consumer marketing Verizon has put behind this phone, I opted to assume a less-technically-oriented, less-experienced user.

The BlackBerry Bold, sold only by AT&T Wireless in the U.S., was an easier device to review--think of a BlackBerry Curve with a better software interface. To an extent, that made it a less noteworthy device; RIM didn't exactly swing for the fences with this model. The Storm may be a mess in its present form, but at least it's an interesting mess.

Other details about these two phones:

* To judge from the Bold's cluttered home screen, AT&T hired some of the same people responsible for littering the desktops of millions of Windows PCs with irrelevant links and shortcuts. Why, for instance, does anybody need separate icons for the Bold's default browser and AT&T's MediaNet site?

[read more]

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    Sweet article! Thanks Cherri!

Off topic question - I've searched but haven't found any themes for the Storm... Has anyone developed any yet?

I would have asked elsewhere, but I didn't think the topic was grand enough for its own thread - and amidst my search I failed to turn up any results..

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ^^ nope, not yet. Plazmic hasn't released a new version. The JDE has been released, just not the theme builder soon let's hope!

Sam123gil no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    A.S.K.
    I had the Storm. I know of the bugs first hand. I returned it for he Curve. Later in the year after all the bugs are gone, i'll purchase again.
    ~©®ĺ©kßë®®Ą~

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    "On the other hand, the Bold made better use of its left-side "convenience button"; it brought up the phone's Application Switcher interface, not the distracting voice-command application the Storm's equivalent button invoked."

lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam123gil View Post
    I had the Storm. I know of the bugs first hand. I returned it for he Curve. Later in the year after all the bugs are gone, i'll purchase again.
    too bad sam. most bugs are gone with .75 os

PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    too bad sam. most bugs are gone with .75 os
    Yay for that note! Hoorah updates!!

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    ^^ nope, not yet. Plazmic hasn't released a new version. The JDE has been released, just not the theme builder soon let's hope!
    Thank you, again!! This has to be like, the umpteenth time you've answered one of my seemingly silly questions.

MackDa600 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30b44bcc
    Most of the bugs were not fixed... The device is an absolute disgrace for RIM and Verizon. I just rreturned mine today after 28 days of trial/testing. I have been using blackberrys since there introduction in 1998. This was the worst device led to market. The onlything it had was a halfway decent marketing scheme, which i must say got me to buy the device on the release date.

Any blackberry in my opinon needs to have a physical keyboard. Its the only way to bang out emails/texts with ease and speed. Blackberry should look into making their screens touch screen which would eliminate the trackball/wheel. This way you can still type, but to select an application or program, you can just click the screen with your thumb, now that would be cool.
    PIN: 30b44bcc

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by MackDa600 View Post
    Most of the bugs were not fixed... The device is an absolute disgrace for RIM and Verizon. I just rreturned mine today after 28 days of trial/testing. I have been using blackberrys since there introduction in 1998. This was the worst device led to market. The onlything it had was a halfway decent marketing scheme, which i must say got me to buy the device on the release date.

Any blackberry in my opinon needs to have a physical keyboard. Its the only way to bang out emails/texts with ease and speed. Blackberry should look into making their screens touch screen which would eliminate the trackball/wheel. This way you can still type, but to select an application or program, you can just click the screen with your thumb, now that would be cool.
    update your profile please
    i was really going by others posts on the upgrade fixing most of the bugs since mine wasn't buggy from the start.
    Last edited by catstide; 12-18-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Conv3rt no está en línea Stack level 1
    My Storm wasn't buggy at all, just not suited to be used as a business tool. It is a pure consumer device, which is a huge departure for BB. I will keep my trackball, thanks.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

pattachan no está en línea Stack level 2
    I honestly love my storm, but I'm thinking of returning it. Random bugs here and there AFTER the software updates, and not having a physical keyboard are really starting to make me reconsider this device. I miss my curve!

PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Conv3rt View Post
    I will keep my trackball, thanks.

trackballs are so yesterday

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    There seems to be a lot of controversy regarding RIM's recent introductions.
    Fact is that all the manufacturers are racing to provide an iPhone killer. Apple's innovative device has shifted the industry's focus to touch screen.
    As a part of having decided to get into the broader consumer market, RIM has tried to cover all the bases, with a touch screen, flip, and 3g querty.
    Trouble is, they're trying to put their product into as many hands as possible by lowering the cost. And it's showing in the quality.

PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    There seems to be a lot of controversy regarding RIM's recent introductions.
    Fact is that all the manufacturers are racing to provide an iPhone killer. Apple's innovative device has shifted the industry's focus to touch screen.
    As a part of having decided to get into the broader consumer market, RIM has tried to cover all the bases, with a touch screen, flip, and 3g querty.
    Trouble is, they're trying to put their product into as many hands as possible by lowering the cost. And it's showing in the quality.
    At $600.00 for the Storm without a contract I'd have to say that the cost isn't very low...

Adamallica no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm pretty surprised at all the hate on the Storm.....I am a heavy business user that actually left Blackberry for an iPhone (worst phone I've ever owned, by far!), only to come back to Verizon and buy the Storm a week later. I LOVE the Storm, but I didn't like it at first; once you understand how it works and use it to its full potential, it is a great phone. As far as bugs go, I have had nothing drastic - just a few hangs lasting no longer than 20 seconds (granted I was running almost 10 apps when that happened). Before the iPhone, I had the Pearl for over a year and loved that phone - I am a huge fan of the SureType keyboard (because the buttons are big - I can't type for a damn on the Curve with my big thumbs) so I was excited to see them include it in the Storm. Typing on it is great! By far the largest buttons of any qwerty keyboard on any phone - touch screen or otherwise....I type about 30wpm on the Storm, and couldn't be happier with it...

I know it is a little slow right now, but that will be fixed, and it still runs programs fast - Google Maps works great....Really the only slow thing on it is the selection of program icons. The Browser is quick (although I find myself using Opera a lot because it flies - even faster than Safari was on the iPhone).

Anyway, I am getting tired of hearing that it is a phone for non-experienced users. I use it for Skype, AIM, all 8 of my emails, all my business contacs, notes, web-browsing, communication in Japanese, Excel, Word (works great), etc....I really don't use it for music, video, or games...although it does that all well, too....

Wow...I just timed myself typing - I wrote 65 words in 1:28....since I made three mistakes, that equals out to about 42wpm...even faster than I thought....(and the mistakes were SureType guessing a different word - suck became "sick" etc...there were no errors because I hit the wrong key....
    Last edited by Adamallica; 12-19-2008 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Typing test...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast