Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The next version of the BlackBerry firmware, v4.2 , will enable these dormant hardware features ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

New Blackberry OS v4.2!

Advertisement

The next version of the BlackBerry firmware, v4.2, will enable these dormant hardware features (extensive "onboard [video and audio] acceleration") on future and existing Intel-based BlackBerry devices (currently the 8700 is the only Intel-based BlackBerry), Lazaridis said. Once enabled, hardware acceleration could improve audio/video performance dramatically.

Lazaridis said that the Intel processor in the 8700 had always boasted extensive "onboard [video and audio] acceleration" features, but that RIM "never enabled it" in order to ensure maximum "stability and reliability".

Lazaridis also made mention of the as yet unannounced BlackBerry 8707, which he promises will be UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications Standard) 3G-enabled. UMTS is just one variation of 3G technology, capable of running at speeds of up to 1920kbit/second.

The 8707 however will be essentially the same device as the 8700, except with added 3G support.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: New Blackberry OS v4.2!

Any dates???? We love new OSs.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Ok. Confused. So does that mean that the 8700's have these capabilities and they are simply not being utilized at this time? And that when the 4.2 OS is released, if it is installed into the 8700's that it will?
    I hope so, cause I really don't like the look of the 8707...but thats just my $0.02

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

You can keep your 8700g, N8. You don't have to get a new device.

Ruminator no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d2215a

Unless, of course, N8 just wants a new device!

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~

trinybwoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F8984

i would really hate to know that we would have to buy a new device in order to obtain such capabilities. i plan on having my 8700g for at least 18mnths before i consider purchasing a now device.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    I knew the 8700 was powerful, and all those naysayers saying that multimedia would just make it run slow...
    Bring on the new OS!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Ok. Confused. So does that mean that the 8700's have these capabilities and they are simply not being utilized at this time? And that when the 4.2 OS is released, if it is installed into the 8700's that it will?
    I hope so, cause I really don't like the look of the 8707...but thats just my $0.02
    Yes. As RIM rightly always puts "stability and reliability" first they are only NOW going to enable those features in the new v4.2 OS. I'm sure they can release this better performance for multi media and maintain the stability and reliability, which is still the main advantage that will keep RIM ahead of the wanna BB's.

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

sweet can't wait!
    love my 8700c

GeoMan no está en línea Stack level 2

Wait. Can someone clarify this for me. I thought my 8700c COULD ALREADY be used as a modem to support my laptop while away from the office. That's what I was told at Cingular, anyway. I just got it on Wednesday, and if the 8707 is replacing it with that capability, I'll just take it back and wait. Any idea when that will occur?

Your 8700c is already able to be used as a modem. The new OS will enable audio playback of small downloadable files.

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Loving that 8700g can't wait till next month to buy mine!

GeoMan no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks, Erica. So, is it easy to find how to use it as a modem in the User's Guide? And what, then, does the 8707 provide over the 8700? (Sorry, but i have a million questions about this device, already. The collective pinstack forum users have been GREAT.)

sigmamason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22BFEE32

Just got my 8700c wednesday. I hope that Cingular pushes that OS upgrade out ASAP and not play the "we have to test it first" game that they always do...
    We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight!!

Here's how to use your 8700c as a modem http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ead.php?t=2224

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast