The never ending myriad of lawsuits in the smartphone market has added another to it's ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Motorola Files Patent Complaint Against RIM

Advertisement

The never ending myriad of lawsuits in the smartphone market has added another to it's ranks. This time, it's Motorola who has filed a patent infringement claim against RIM with the ITC (International Trade Commission), seeking not only monetary compensation, but to have the sale of RIM devices using the patents, banned in the U.S. Imagine it folks, a U.S. without BlackBerry's. I just shuddered a little bit.

via PRNewswires: "Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT) today announced that it has filed a complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) alleging that Research In Motion Limited (Nasdaq: RIMM) (RIM) has engaged in unfair trade practices by the importation and sale of RIM products that infringe on five of Motorola's patents.

The five patents listed in Motorola's complaint relate to certain early-stage innovations developed by Motorola in key technology areas, such as Wi-Fi access, application management, user interface and power management, that are now being used by RIM. These patented technologies are important to Motorola as they allow for more comprehensive connectivity, a better user experience and lower product costs.

Motorola has requested that the ITC commence an investigation into RIM's use of Motorola's patents and, among other things, issue an Exclusion Order barring RIM's importation of infringing products; prohibiting further sales of infringing products that have already been imported; and halting the marketing, advertising, demonstration and warehousing of inventory for distribution and use of such imported products in the United States."

Full article here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    ...if you can't beat them (RIM) then you try and ban them ! Geez, give us a break...!
    This, obviuosly, keeps the lawyer industry humming!
    Money, Money, Money ...! (to the Abba tune !)

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    That's a pretty bold step, wonder how long it will take for the ITC to make a decision....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    That's a pretty bold step, wonder how long it will take for the ITC to make a decision....
    Probably a while as once they delve into the case, they'll realize that nearly every mobile device out there "borrows" one or more patents from someone else. Funny though that not even a year ago, Moto was ready to shutdown it's mobile division and now this.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    It's the American way. If you can't compete then you sue.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    It's the American way. If you can't compete then you sue.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    That is so true; its not even funny.
    But its so sad
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Aren't Nokia and Apple trying the same thing Apple asking for ITC to ban Nokia and Nokia asking European Commission to ban Apple. At this rate we won't have any phones to buy, someone will be banning Android phones next!

I saw the RIM Motorola battle in the bus' news a few days ago and thought there will soon be some millionaire lawyers out there. I think this battle has started as agreements have expired and now someone has got greedy!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    So I guess Motorola invented wifi and RIM devices are the only ones other than Moto that use wifi? Give me a break!
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Reading into the specific claims, it's actually going to come down to lines of code that they are suing over. Motorola is saying that very specific code used in those functions/features are proprietary, not so much the idea of Wi-Fi or long battery life. Still, even if the allegations are totally true, they are not the sole reason that RIM devices sales far outpace that of Motorola in the smartphone market.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    I remembered the old palm treos having wifi way before a RIM device. But hey there is always a company that can't play fair and gets their feelings hurt. Lol.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; ADR6200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    As a die hard black berry fan . I sadly have to say I have switched to an older moto Q series running wimo 6.1 and find it a better device then any berry . motorola has won me over, and the blackberry and its maker are going the way of the dinosaur. heck I will take an original q with winmo 5.x over any berry after the 8800 series .I have deployed them side by side for over two years, and found the users had less issue and fewer complaints with winmo and moto combos over the berry users. and after dealing with track balls and all the cheaply made moto wanabies. my hard earned dollars will go to moto ..rim has cut quality and raised prices year after year and just cant compete so why even try .
    I challenge any berry user to try a moto device and the windows mobile platform and see for your selves. it didnt take me long to notice the way that moto brought us a desk top to our palms. and durability is way better, service is way less and the cost is well, just not worth paying to own a device that wont last like the moto devices. even their 30 track phones are as good as 400 motos that sprint sells.. so whos been gouging us all this time? qualicom and the carriers . rims no exception. good reddens research in motion you left a bad taste in my mouth and a hole in my wallet. HELO MOTO you have my attention...and my bussiness

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
    As a die hard black berry fan . I sadly have to say I have switched to an older moto Q series running wimo 6.1 and find it a better device then any berry . motorola has won me over, and the blackberry and its maker are going the way of the dinosaur. heck I will take an original q with winmo 5.x over any berry after the 8800 series .I have deployed them side by side for over two years, and found the users had less issue and fewer complaints with winmo and moto combos over the berry users. and after dealing with track balls and all the cheaply made moto wanabies. my hard earned dollars will go to moto ..rim has cut quality and raised prices year after year and just cant compete so why even try .
    I challenge any berry user to try a moto device and the windows mobile platform and see for your selves. it didnt take me long to notice the way that moto brought us a desk top to our palms. and durability is way better, service is way less and the cost is well, just not worth paying to own a device that wont last like the moto devices. even their 30 track phones are as good as 400 motos that sprint sells.. so whos been gouging us all this time? qualicom and the carriers . rims no exception. good reddens research in motion you left a bad taste in my mouth and a hole in my wallet. HELO MOTO you have my attention...and my bussiness
    I owned about 4 different Motorola devices over the years and can't argue they weren't good devices. I've also used Win-Mo and wasn't as impressed with it as some have. Most users find it easy to use because it's an extension of Windows, which they likely use at home or the office. To me, it just brought the bugs I've always found in Windows to my phone. RIM won me over a few years ago and with that, I'll reiterate something $any of us have said on here; everyone has their own preference and to each his/her own. Always and I mean always go with what works for you, not what everyone else tells you you should get.