CTIA Wireless 2008 - Mobipocket.com today announced the launch of Mobipocket Reader 6.0 for Blackberries, ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Mobipocket.com Announces Mobipocket Reader 6.0 for Blackberry Users

Advertisement

CTIA Wireless 2008 - Mobipocket.com today announced the launch of Mobipocket Reader 6.0 for Blackberries, including Over the Air (OTA) access to tens of thousands of Mobipocket eBooks without the need to connect to a computer. In addition, the new software features a revised user interface, intuitive menus and customer-friendly default settings to create an optimal reading experience for customers on all Blackberry devices.

Mobipocket Reader 6.0 is available today for any Blackberry (Curve, Pearl, 8800 and older devices too). It can be downloaded directly from a Blackberry by visiting: http://m.mobipocket.com

With Mobipocket's OTA eBookstore, users can access the entire Mobipocket eBook catalog from their Blackberry -- anytime, anywhere. To do this, Mobipocket has integrated the catalog browsing experience into the Mobipocket Reader interface for all Blackberry models. The store accesses data over the phone's data or Wi-fi link in optimized chunks, which makes the browsing fast and responsive. Additionally, books are compressed, typically 200KB - 400KB, which means they download in less than two minutes.

And with nearly 70,000 premium titles, users can find a huge range of books in dozens of categories -- for example, new releases such as A Thousand Splendid Suns from Khaled Hosseini, bestsellers like No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy and hard-to-find titles. As always, customers can download a free sample chapter of any book, find reader reviews, and instantly buy, download or re-download all their titles from their Blackberry.

"The ability to find, discover and buy books, and have instant access to them from anywhere at any time, is the ultimate convenience for Mobipocket customers," said Martin Gorner, CEO of Mobipocket.com. "In addition, we help customers make informed buying decisions by allowing them access to reader reviews and sample downloads. We are really excited to bring our ebook catalog, innovative features and the convenient OTA access to Blackberry users."

In addition, Mobipocket.com has added improvements to Mobipocket Reader 6.0, such as memory card management and PC connectivity. These intuitive features allow downloading to a PC and syncing to a Blackberry's memory card through USB especially convenient for very large books like dictionaries or encyclopedias, which can top 20MB. And with Reader 6.0, the process is now as simple as plugging in the USB cable. Additionally, Mobipocket Reader 6.0 for the desktop will recognize a Blackberry, ask if a user wants to download new books, and automatically send them to the memory card if detected.

As with all Mobipocket innovations, the Over the Air eBookstore technology is designed to be a marketplace enabler and is therefore open to third parties. Any online bookstore can create an OTA store that will appear in Mobipocket Reader 6.0 for Blackberries.

More information and screenshots are also available: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ice=Blackberry

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    i thought this was already available?

i have it on my bb already and have even posted about it.

and i have v6.0
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

stuka no está en línea Stack level 3
    IVe been usining it for months! Doesnt like having the firewall enabled, and desktop mobireader needs mass storage off to access the micro sd card. On my 8130 anyway.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by stuka View Post
    IVe been usining it for months! Doesnt like having the firewall enabled, and desktop mobireader needs mass storage off to access the micro sd card. On my 8130 anyway.
    all true for me except mass storage having to be off.

8100 here.

bayzbol44 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    So how is it reading an eBook on a BB? Eyes tired afterwards?

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by bayzbol44 View Post
    So how is it reading an eBook on a BB? Eyes tired afterwards?
    well if you already have issues reading small print like in a paperback book then you will still have issues with this.

its like reading a paperback cut into 1/8s but better. the thing i like about this is that it tells you about how long it would take to read it on your bb. almost any file type is supported too all you have to do is import it so it converts it for the mobipocket reader.
    Last edited by lucky13mt; 04-02-2008 at 11:46 AM.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME
    I have mobipocket reader and thought I had the newset version..checking yep I have the newest one.. 6.0.0.067 This has been out for awhile now.

But thanks Hayden because there are probably many who don't have it and will now see this post and d/l it.
    Providing customers with the latest in news and info along with experienced one on one tech support, training, product sales, exclusive themes and more.

ballr no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask.
    i had 6.0 beta maybe this the official release ?

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I have the same one. Its pretty cool! Several school books are downloaded, makes studying so easy!

bayzbol44 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    well if you already have issues reading small print like in a paperback book then you will still have issues with this.

its like reading a paperback cut into 1/8s but better. the thing i like about this is that it tells you about how long it would take to read it on your bb. almost any file type is supported too all you have to do is import it so it converts it for the mobipocket reader.
    Thanks. What do you mean any file type is supported? I assume all the ebooks form Mobipocket, I can "read" on my bb. IF I download this app, can I download ebooks from other sites and read them via this app? IF so, what other sites are there? Can the ebooks be saved to a card?

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by bayzbol44 View Post
    Thanks. What do you mean any file type is supported? I assume all the ebooks form Mobipocket, I can "read" on my bb. IF I download this app, can I download ebooks from other sites and read them via this app? IF so, what other sites are there? Can the ebooks be saved to a card?
    i am a student and i have a lot of pdf and word documents that i convert to read on mobipocket reader. its a really good thing to have. it also converts html pages and a few other types i cant remember right now.

all you have to do is import a supported file type and itll convert it so it can be read on your mobile with mobipocket reader.

a suggestion for pdf's though...make sure they are of good quality so the conversion process can recognize words easily

kapekodchip no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    243AE93B
    I have downloaded this program twice to my blackberry pearl. The install goes great but when I try to open the program where it says ebooks i get this message: An error ocurred while accessing the list of eBooksstores (network timeout) I've tried everything but cant get past this point. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by kapekodchip View Post
    I have downloaded this program twice to my blackberry pearl. The install goes great but when I try to open the program where it says ebooks i get this message: An error ocurred while accessing the list of eBooksstores (network timeout) I've tried everything but cant get past this point. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
    do you have unlimited data?

i believe you should still be able to access ebooks already stored on your BB.

thats just if you want to dl it from the ebook store.

kapekodchip no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    243AE93B
    Thanks for the quick response. I do have unlimited data. I have the program icon on my phone but when I click on it and the ebooks page comes up and I try to connect to download a book I get that time out message. I have no ebooks downloaded on the bb yet because I cant get past this step.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by kapekodchip View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I do have unlimited data. I have the program icon on my phone but when I click on it and the ebooks page comes up and I try to connect to download a book I get that time out message. I have no ebooks downloaded on the bb yet because I cant get past this step.
    well you can actually make your own eBooks with the desktop software and then transfer them to your phone.

the desktop software can convert most file types (ms word, pdf, html, etc)

you should download the desktop software and then hook up your bb cause it automatically checks for updates for your phone once its plugged.

just make sure your firewall is off while you use it...they havent figured out a way around this yet. but its safe as far as i know and ive been using it for a while now.