CTIA publishes a twice-yearly report summarising the state of the wireless telecommunications industry in the ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Mobile phone use approaching saturation in USA

Advertisement

CTIA publishes a twice-yearly report summarising the state of the wireless telecommunications industry in the US. The latest issue published at the International CTIA WIRELESS I.T. & Entertainment 2009, offers the usual slew of facts.

For instance, they state that US subscribers sent an average if 4.1 billion text messages per day in the first half of 2009, up from 2.1 billion in the first half of 2008 - this averages (based on the figures provided) to be a little under 15 per person per day.

Out of 276 million wireless users, there are 246 million with data-capable devices, of which 40 million are smartphones or wireless-enabled PDAs.

Read More via iTWire

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    Thats pretty impressive numbers. I guess its hard to believe percentages have dropped recently, because it seems like everytime i turn around i see people, from young teenagers, to older generations carrying around Blackberries and Ipods and other smartphone devices. good read. I know I far exceed the 15 message average per day. lol
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

jeffpettis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me!
    I agree with Kay, everywhere i go from wal-mart to the barber shop i see more and more smartphones in peoples hands, espacially BlackBerrys. So them numbers dont really surprise me at all. Me, im a texting machine thanks to my curve and the new BBM 5.0 im addicted!

kayhites717 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!!
    Bbm 5.0 is great. I'm enjoying it as well. It is becoming very obvious the more and more I learn about Smartphones and see how wireless technology is being integrated into just about every form of technology these days, its going to become impossible for people to stay in the loop and keep up with this fast paced world without having a smartphone or PDA. Most wireless carriers are even requiring all smartphone purchasers to have a Data plan. So, if you think about it, with over 80%of all wireless users carrying a data capable device, its seems only natural that non-data or non-smartphone devices will just stop being manufactured. Thanks for your input jeff. And, welcome to the stacks.
    Last edited by kayhites717; 10-13-2009 at 04:47 AM.