CNet along with others have written articles reporting how generous people world wide have been ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Mobile donations to Haiti exceed all in 2009

Advertisement

CNet along with others have written articles reporting how generous people world wide have been when trying to help those who have suffered in the Earth Quake that occurred in Haiti. These donations are amazing and show just how much people care. It's also proof how a smartphone can do more than we ever imagined just a few short years ago.

Since tweets such as "Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to @RedCross relief" went viral Wednesday, more than $8 million has been donated--about double the amount donated to all charities via text messaging throughout all of 2009, a Red Cross spokeswoman tells CNN.

Since PinStack is a Smartphone Community and we like to text I thought this was worth posting.

Full Article:CNet, CNN,

Instantz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Very nice to see the world coming together in a time like this to support others.
    -MOTO*DROID- *Verizon Wireless*

BethanyB no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30AC44FA
    You know I'm all for helping people out but you know I believe there are plenty of people in the USA who need help just as bad and just as much. I work with the School here and I see kids with shoes that are one puddle away from falling completely apart. Kids that are wearing hand me down pants that are part of there fathers old work uniforms. Some kids that can't get a bath anymore than twice a week and don't have the money in there family to buy things like food, clothing, deodorant! So I would rather help my local neighbor more than a foreign neighbor. I honostly don't wanna sound like a mean person but the US is tryin to help so many people and kids everywhere else that are fallin into hard times and starvin what about the ones that are just in there own backyard or two doors down from myself or across town. Why not start helpin the ones here before helpin everyone elses in the world?

jahkure84 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24794B22
    Do u know what da meaning tragedy means I don't think u do Iam haitian myself and I find ya comment to be so disrespectful because when hurricane katrina hit new orleans many other conutries came to the U.S. Aid so u not donating is ya own business but don't try to discourage others ya U.S. Is full of aid for the less fortunate ?*HT* has no type of aid the country is over populated and not even 25% of that is receiving an income so I think that u should really do your research before u even try to text.

BethanyB no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30AC44FA
    Yea and most of the unfortunate I think is the own citizens. Many people who need the help here get sh*tted out of it. The people who do get it for instance a lot of the people in Katrina they traced a lot of them and the aid that was given was buying liquor, strippers, cigarettes and other things not needed. You getting hateful with me shows great disrespectful I wasn't meaning to discourage people who want to help I'm sayin I would rather help people in my own neighborhood first before I go off trying to give out of state help.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    How about if we quit arguing and just do what you are feeling led to do or not do for those who are suffering everywhere. These are hard times and effort spent debating who to help is a huge waste.

We all need to look at our modern conveniences, our comforts, remember every time we open our refrigerator that there are people who have nothing in theirs and then do our part to help. Anyone posting on a smartphone forum has at least something they can sacrifice in order to help their fellow man.

I think that text campaigns like the ones launched for Haiti are great, they are an easy way for people to help, for people who may not spend the time to write and mail a check or seek out a place to drop off a donation. Keep spreading the love for ALL who are hurting!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

graciliano no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thank you azstar!

offthewall no está en línea Stack level 1
    What I would like to know is how many teenage kids sent out these texts not knowing that they or their parents were the ones being billed and extra $10 on their phone bill. I would bet that the number is huge.