nytimes.com : Last week, a juror in a big federal drug trial in Florida admitted ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Mistrial by iPhone: Juries’ Web Research Upends Trials

Advertisement

nytimes.com: Last week, a juror in a big federal drug trial in Florida admitted to the judge that he had been doing research on the case on the Internet, directly violating the judge’s instructions and centuries of legal rules. But when the judge questioned the rest of the jury, he got an even bigger shock.

Eight other jurors had been doing the same thing. The federal judge, William J. Zloch, had no choice but to declare a mistrial, wasting eight weeks of work by federal prosecutors and defense lawyers.

“We were stunned,” said the defense lawyer, Peter Raben, who was told by the jury that he was on the verge of winning the case. “It’s the first time modern technology struck us in that fashion, and it hit us right over the head.”

It might be called a Google mistrial. The use of BlackBerrys and iPhones by jurors gathering and sending out information about cases is wreaking havoc on trials around the country, upending deliberations and infuriating judges.

[read more]

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    What a waste of everyone's time and money. Maybe judges should start blogging, IMing, tweeting, texting, etc. to the jurors the rules that cases cannot be discussed or researched during a trial. Would that get the message across to them since verbally telling them doesn't work?

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    unless i was guilty, i would not have an issue with a juror researching the matter . in fact i would want a person who was capable of seeing the truth for them selves, and not just the show the prosecutor puts on . we all know there are unscrupulous people who would do any thing too win .
    and a lawyer will say any thing too win, even if its a lie.....
    in fact i have proven such lies before, and the perjury laws in connecticut are not even enforced.......
    a person has to rights to have the truth told by both sides and it should be required ....

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Yeah, and the internet and news sites ALWAYS have the truth...
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

martytorres666 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A2F8DE
    Hmmmm, very interesting indeed..
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    The jurors are made aware of what is permitted, charges should be brought against them. What a waste of tax dollars and everyone's time.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Its definitely a sign of the times. . . but i have to agree the jurors should be help liable for wasting time. . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

crush194 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Amazing I just finished a 5 day stint as a juror here in Brooklyn and the first thing they did before we started deliberations was to take our cell phones and newspapers! Jurors know the rules and know our system depends on those rules!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

SMacDougall no está en línea Stack level 1
    How soon before cell phone signal blockers are in use in courtrooms all around the world?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    The control would have to be strip searched, sequestered jurors who are not even allowed to go to the bathroom without a guard watching them to really try to stop it.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6
    Wow, agreed they should be fined, possibly jailed for their actions.