Staying in touch with family and friends can be a challenge for military staffers, especially ... Smartphone News forum

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Military to get Priority GV Accounts

Advertisement

Staying in touch with family and friends can be a challenge for military staffers, especially those serving overseas. With its latest campaign, Google is trying to help.

Google will now offer priority Google Voice accounts to active members of the service, according to the company's official blog. Military staffers with .mil addresses will receive Google Voice invites within 24 hours after requesting them, says Tuesday's blog, written by U.S. Army Sergeant Dale Sweetnam.
    In his guest blog, Sweetnam, who works with Google on the U.S. Army's "Training with Industry" program, explained the problem of trying to call military staff overseas.
    "I spent 13 months in Iraq as an Army journalist where I flew in Black Hawks over Balad and Baghdad working to generate news coverage about my fellow soldiers," writes Sweetnam. "The whole experience was physically and emotionally draining, but it was especially difficult when I called home at the end of the day and nobody was there to answer."
    Using the free Google Voice service, military staffers can set up a single phone number that will automatically ring any phone and also receive voice mail as text transcriptions. Family and friends need only keep track of that one number, a benefit for personnel who may jump from one location to another. People can also dial the Google Voice number to leave voice mail for soldiers serving overseas, which are then retrieved from mobile trailers with Internet access.

Additional Information

ghettomedic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    28028AA4
    This is awesome to hear.

Glad to see there are some big business doing something for our troops overseas and the families sacrificing at home.

Jim
    _______
    Jim Girvin
    CC/NREMT-Paramedic
    EMT-Tactical

flight.medic.752@gmail.com
    PIN: 28028AA4

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Absolutely awesome on the part of Google. Great to see them giving something back to those serving their friends and family.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Not a good idea for the military. Unless google encrypt it in such way for the military that will not allow outside sources to hack into it; then this is a big security threat for the boys and girls in the sandbox.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

impak875 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DROID
    I see the pros and cons on this but I must agree with planneau... what's the risk that their position & information will be compromised??? Other than that I would say this a great way for our service men & women to get in touch with their loved ones at home.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    Not a good idea for the military. Unless google encrypt it in such way for the military that will not allow outside sources to hack into it; then this is a big security threat for the boys and girls in the sandbox.
    Never been in the field directly, but I would assume any communications coming out from a base or camp pass through half a dozen firewalls or redirects so that they can't be pin-pointed. Besides, I doubt we're talking about being out on convert op and dialing up Google. It would likely be from an established base where the enemy can look outside and say, "there they are".
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS