Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verizon Wireless Announces first CDMA/GSM BlackBerry Smartphone! First CDMA/GSM BlackBerry Smartphone, Coupled with Always-On Global ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Just in: Verizon Wireless Announces 8830!

Advertisement

Verizon Wireless Announces first CDMA/GSM BlackBerry Smartphone!

First CDMA/GSM BlackBerry Smartphone, Coupled with Always-On Global E-Mail and 24/7 Help Desk, Keeps Travelers Connected In More Than 60 Countries

Verizon Wireless, operator of the nation's most reliable wireless network, and Research In Motion, a global leader in wireless innovation, today introduced the first Global CDMA/GSM BlackBerry. The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone will be available on May 14 through Verizon Wireless' business sales channels and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores on May 28.

In addition, Verizon Wireless announced the May 14 availability of its new Global BlackBerry service, an "always-on, always connected" wireless e-mail solution that provides quick, easy access to e-mail, contacts, calendar, organizer and the Web while on-the-go. With the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone and Global BlackBerry service from Verizon Wireless, customers get wireless e-mail and the convenience of one local number for domestic and international use in Australia, Europe, parts of Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and North America.

More photos in our previous update

PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Just in: Verizon Wireless Announces 8830!

Full Press release:
    Verizon Wireless' new Global BlackBerry service allows customers to place and receive voice calls from more than 150 countries and send and receive e-mails in the United States, Canada and more than 60 countries worldwide. With Global BlackBerry service, Verizon Wireless customers receive the Global Support Pack, which includes a SIM card, a user reference guide and details on accessing the Global Help Desk for 24-hour customer support, seven days a week. Customers also receive a calling card for free support calls while traveling outside of the U.S. from any landline phone to technical support if the BlackBerry 8830 is lost, broken or stolen.

"The BlackBerry 8830 with Verizon Wireless' Global BlackBerry service will set a new standard for global wireless service," said Mike Lanman, vice president and chief marketing officer of Verizon Wireless. "Customers leave the U.S. with the ultimate productivity tool enhanced by a service and support package they won't find anywhere else in the industry. This is the gold standard for the international enterprise, and with its unique blend of form, function and value, we expect this device to quickly become our top selling BlackBerry for domestic use as well."

"The BlackBerry 8830 is built on an exciting new device platform that combines CDMA and GSM/GPRS roaming support with the latest in industrial design and functional innovations," said Mike Lazaridis, president and co-chief executive officer at Research In Motion. "This innovative and stylish smartphone includes all the benefits that users have come to love about the BlackBerry solution along with a compelling new global service from Verizon Wireless."

The BlackBerry 8830 provides an international option for enterprise customers of all Verizon Business groups. The Verizon branded companies offer customers a portfolio of wired and wireless solutions inclusive of the recently announced BroadbandAccess Router Service.

Features and Pricing for the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Smartphone and Global BlackBerry Service

The new BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone packs the latest features into a stylish global device and offers the following capabilities and features:

- EV-DO/GPRS network connection for high-speed data transfer in more than 60 countries

- GSM/GPRS (900/1800 MHz) for continued voice and e-mail while traveling internationally

- Auto-selection of CDMA/GSM Mode

- Thin form factor of just 14mm for both style and easy handling

- New Trackball navigation system

- Media player

- Expandable memory option with microSD(TM) card (sold separately)

- Speakerphone

- Bluetooth(R) capabilities for certain profiles inclusive of hands-free, dial-up networking and serial port

- Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD)

- Instant Messaging capabilities for quick and easy communication

The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone will be available in May for $299.99 after a $100 rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. An additional $100 credit toward the purchase of the device is available for customers who sign up for qualifying voice and data plans at the time of purchase.

Customers signing up for Global BlackBerry service will get unlimited e-mail in the United States, Canada and more than 60 countries worldwide for $64.99 monthly access with a qualifying voice plan, or for $69.99 monthly access without a voice plan. Customers can also add a "Pay As You Go" data feature to any qualifying voice plan for an additional $20 per Megabyte. Customers wanting to use the BlackBerry 8830 for e-mail solely in the U.S. may opt for an unlimited e-mail plan beginning at $49.99 monthly access.

Customers may request more information on the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone and Global BlackBerry service from Verizon Wireless at www.verizonwireless.com/global. For more information on BlackBerry devices from Verizon Wireless, visit www.verizonwireless.com/blackberry. Business customers should contact a Verizon Wireless Business Sales Representative directly at 1-800-VZW-4-BIZ.

drummer12 no está en línea Stack level 3

LOVE how GPS is "mysteriously" missing from the feature list! Thanks again, VZ...you're the reason I left you guys in the first place. And GSM roaming is useless if they don't have the agreements, or charge an arm and a leg for coverage...

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

I would be curious to see their roaming agreements abroad.

PIN/ID
    ask

This is bascially the Verizon's version of the Cingular/T-mobile 8800. The main differnce is the network being CDMA/GSM & EV-DO/GPRS all other features are the same. ex. no cam, wifi. All in all a great device.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'm really not sure if it's worth the upgrade from my 8703e. Esprcially since it doesn't have a camera.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by hayden
    The BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone will be available in May for $299.99 after a $100 rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. An additional $100 credit toward the purchase of the device is available for customers who sign up for qualifying voice and data plans at the time of purchase.

Customers signing up for Global BlackBerry service will get unlimited e-mail in the United States, Canada and more than 60 countries worldwide for $64.99 monthly access with a qualifying voice plan, or for $69.99 monthly access without a voice plan. Customers can also add a "Pay As You Go" data feature to any qualifying voice plan for an additional $20 per Megabyte. Customers wanting to use the BlackBerry 8830 for e-mail solely in the U.S. may opt for an unlimited e-mail plan beginning at $49.99 monthly access....
    so I wonder what the "qualifying" combined plans are, if it is just a data/voice plan or if they mean an international data plan with voice. lol knowing Verizon it is probably that. But I can't believe they start at $50/mo for US only service. Just funny to see the differences between carriers.

Nice device though
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

GaBulldog no está en línea Stack level 3

I believe we’re all being spoiled by all the different phones & options that have came abroad within the past 1 ½ years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m always wanting the newest thing on the market, I just feel that RIM is throwing too much out to us at one time; it’s making it hard to become comfortable with a device before the next is available. Just my two cents.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5

Sprint won't even have it on the shelves until July ! But it will be unlocked. I don't know if that makes the wait worth it for Sprint customers.

The BlackBerry is being rolled out by Verizon with an international data plan costing $20 per month for unlimited e-mail access in about 60 countries on top of the regular BlackBerry subscription fee of $45 to $50 a month. Occasional travelers can opt to pay as they go for their data usage. The device also can be used as a phone in more than 150 countries at a cost of $1.29 or $2.49 per minute, depending on the market.
    RIM developed the dual-mode capability to suit Verizon's and Sprint's circumstances.
    Both companies use what some experts consider a superior wireless technology known as CDMA. But the vast majority of the world's cellular networks run on a standard called GSM.
    As a result, where GSM-based carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile USA can easily offer phones that work overseas, Verizon and Sprint haven't had many options for their customers who travel abroad.
    Though a dual-mode phone is an obvious solution, the drawback is the cost of adding more complex components and the engineering challenge of jamming them into a handheld device without making it bulky.
    RIM overcame the second hurdle, squeezing in the dual capabilities without increasing the 8800's size.
    Verizon, meanwhile, appears to have addressed the cost problem by offering a steep discount - a point driven home by its decision to "lock" the device, preventing users from using it with a rival carrier's service abroad.
    It's undisclosed how much RIM is charging Verizon for each device. But after the assorted discounts, Verizon's 8830 is being offered for $100 less than AT&T's GSM-only version. In fact, the 8830 from Verizon and Sprint is also equipped with a speedier technology for wireless Internet access than AT&T's version.
    Verizon said it locked the new BlackBerry as part of its emphasis on ensuring network quality for customers, this time outside the United States.
    But that policy disables one of the most popular attributes of GSM phones, all of which feature a slot for a removable, postage-stamp sized card that stores a user's account information.
    The ability to remove that card, called a SIM, enables a user to buy multiple GSM phones and use whichever one suits the occasion.
    More importantly in this case, GSM also enables a traveler to use a single phone, but buy wireless service from different providers in different countries. Then, by slipping the appropriate SIM into the phone in a given country, the user can cut back on the steep international roaming fees charged by carriers.
    Vodafone Group PLC, which owns 45 percent of Verizon Wireless, will be providing much of the overseas roaming service for Verizon's 8830. So by locking the BlackBerry 8830 to only work with a Verizon SIM, those two companies will be sure to capture the revenue from any calls made with the device from another country.

By BRUCE MEYERSON AP Business Writer

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by GaBulldog
    I believe we’re all being spoiled by all the different phones & options that have came abroad within the past 1 ½ years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m always wanting the newest thing on the market, I just feel that RIM is throwing too much out to us at one time; it’s making it hard to become comfortable with a device before the next is available. Just my two cents.
    I agree 1000%. For those users who are truly hooked (myself included) it is almost as if the pressure is there to keep up with the latest immediately after you thought you just bought the "latest"......life goes on.

poopc4 no está en línea Stack level 2

VZ, No cam and no GPS means no deal for me. Even if the thong were only $10 it would still be too much with their days plans so pricey.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Quote Originally Posted by GaBulldog
    I agree, they keep new ones coming out and my 8703e works fine for me. I don't need all the new stuff right now. It helps drive the market but, let people use the devices for a while before replacing it with a new one. That way we can atleast get our money out of them and not spend alot of money every few months for the new ones. This could also help there bottom line and not have to make 20 different pones for different things. It would be nice for them to have a few standard models and the replace them on a regular cycle then pushing out all the different phones. My 2 Cents too.

fbriceno97 Guest

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ nothing special about it.

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired

I kind of like the silver on silver colors. But without a camera the 8700 stays put.

melerant no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    32C029E1

Sprint won't even have it on the shelves until July ! But it will be unlocked. I don't know if that makes the wait worth it for Sprint customers.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ps_coming.html

Be paitient calmtiger
    Ladies and Gentleman we are floating in space....
    "God didn't do that, you did that you fat @#$%"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast