Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As TIME Magazine puts it: "Expectations come at a price " Dubbed the "Jesus Phone," ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

iPhone worth the hype? The Return Policy info just in case

Advertisement

As TIME Magazine puts it: "Expectations come at a price"

Dubbed the "Jesus Phone," the iPhone has raised the bar of consumer anticipation so high that regardless of how well it actually works, some will be disappointed.

Steve Jobs hopes to sell 10 million of his newest toy by the end of next year, but there are several factors that may spoil the iPhone party...

From TIME...

Cost
    At $500 a pop and $60 a month for the cheapest flavor of service, plus various taxes and fees, the iPhone will cost at least $2,000 over the course of a two-year contract. Those who don't want a data plan of the sort the iPhone comes automatically bundled with, may stick with other companies' free phones and cheaper plans. The iPhone's data plan actually adds less to the total price than similar offerings from Verizon, for instance, but because there is no way to opt out of the data plan, those who don't want to use the iPhone's Web capability may find the fee superfluous.

Battery
    Steve Jobs and Co. proudly boosted the device's promised battery life recently, claiming it will offer 24 hours of audio playback or 8 hours of talk time. Early reviews score the iphone's battery high compared to many competing phones'. But when consumers use the device as an iPod for hours at a time, watching videos from YouTube and listening to their favorite songs, they might be surprised to find the gadget drooping when they're expecting an important call. There's a precedent for problems with Apple batteries, as many who owned an early iPod model know all too well.

Carrier
    AT&T has been bulking up, spending billions in recent years to speed up its EDGE data network, its call capabilities and its 3G, high-speed data system. But the iPhone won't work on AT&T's 3G network, and early reviews question whether AT&T's slower edge network will hurt the speed of the iphone's web browsing. AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel says connection speeds can vary widely depending on where and how the phone is used. Some info, like maps, stock quotes and weather updates can load in seconds. But if sites regularly crawl for a full minute before loading, memories of the old days of screeching dial-up may burst the iPhone bubble.

Features
    With a decade of experience in the market, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, Sanyo, Palm and Blackberry, have all been developing iPhone alternatives. Apple left its rivals competitive room by omitting some bells and whistles on the iPhone.

There is no instant messaging program on the phone, just text messaging; the camera lacks zoom, flash and video�some of these features may be added later through software updates; and you won't be able to use it on any U.S. network other than AT&T's for at least two years. That might be time enough for a more broadly accessible phone, available across multiple carriers, to steal some of the iPhone's thunder.

Keyboard
    After spending years learning to master Blackberry thumb typing and Palm's Graffiti data entry, some business users may be reluctant to switch over to finger typing on a glass screen. Jobs says it's actually easier to type fast on an iPhone than on a Blackberry, but the test will be whether millions of fingers� fat, flat and stumpy� can navigate the screen as smoothly as veteran techies. If the learning curve proves too steep for early adopters, the early buzz might shift slightly, tempering the enthusiasm of those waiting out the first model's release.

Note: the above is from TIME.com:
    http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...638887,00.html

Today is "iDay"; our contribution...

We've got you covered. Make sure you are aware of the iPhone return policy:
    Apple branded equipment (iPhone) is covered by a 14-day return policy and must be returned to the original point of purchase. If the Apple branded equipment is returned unopened and in the original shrink wrapping, it will be refunded back to the original payment method. Opened Apple branded equipment that is returned within 14 days will be subject to a 10% open box restocking fee. All products must be packed in their original, unmarked packaging including any accessories and manuals that shipped with the product.
    Source: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/iphone-faqs.jsp

JDWired no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3156B31E

Re: iPhone worth the hype? The Return Policy info just in case

Yeah I figured this would have a broken backbone to the whole *New Phone on the Market*. If you've previously owned an iPod, like it said above, you know what to expect, so don't expect to much from this device either.

Why not make a device like this that does not have a cellular service in which will not have to worry about talk time and ups the usage battery time? Or do they already have this device?

Great article/update, excellent read!
    Search Flex - Directory of SEO Services

truthlikegold no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F9FC5C

I've played around a bit with the IPhone today... and thus far it exceeds any expectations I could've ever had for a consumer electronics device. Honestly, I didn't want to be excited about it, but it's hard not to be after using it...
    Riley @ BLOODberry 23F9FC5C

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained
    not by its growth, but by washing away
    from it all that is not gold."

JoshKingston no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Reno84
    Yeah I figured this would have a broken backbone to the whole *New Phone on the Market*. If you've previously owned an iPod, like it said above, you know what to expect, so don't expect to much from this device either.

Why not make a device like this that does not have a cellular service in which will not have to worry about talk time and ups the usage battery time? Or do they already have this device?

Great article/update, excellent read!

They do, its called a macbook

Happy face

JDWired no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3156B31E

Just the answer I was looking for Josh!

Thank you

truthlikegold, I would have to check that out and test it myself. I'll head to the mall tomorrow and test it's abilities
    Search Flex - Directory of SEO Services

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

I was on my way to get my iPhone when my wife talked me out of it.

I just can't stand AT&T.

AT&T, your world delivered, to the NSA.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

patcatuk no está en línea Stack level 3

AT&T works for the NSA or is it their provider of choice? I don't think it really makes a difference. I am sure the US government scans every electronic means of contact in/out/within the USA.

Heck here in the UK we've got that echelon thing here run by the US govt. It scans through all electronic contact. So, for either of us it doesn't really matter. They are scanning through this as I post.

I found it funny that the French govt banned the use of blackberries because the servers were located in the USA & UK and. Ha,just smart enough those frogs, they just realized it after what 7 years of blackberry use.

OK I'll get off my soapbox on Hyde Park's Speakers corner.

Iphone? I'll buy one for my mom this christmas. She's been using macs exclusively since the late 80's and that'll keep her happy. As for me after they release a 3g blackberry I'll be happy for a very longtime.

Cheers from Edinburgh!

jchapman01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a51ff4

~via my BB 8800 (wap.pinstack.com)~ during work today, I had maybe three people ask about the iphone. Since I work for a dealer and can't carry the iphone we had training sessions on how to redirect our customers to other phones based on their needs... The redirection of choice? The blackberry 8300 Curve.

shishkabob87 no está en línea Stack level 1

I plan on sitting on the blackberry for my two years under contract and see how well the iphone actually does. I love my Mac and would love to carry the iphone but 60 compared to the 20 I'm playing is semi-outrageous

kabirjohnson no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249e4ba5

A lot of folks will be disappointed once they find out the truth about the iphone. Honestly, I don't think the phone will leave up to the hype.I might get the 3rd generation of the iphone whenever it comes out. Thanks guys. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

I'm a Mac user and was never impressed with the iPhone. I'm a new BLACKBERRY user and very happy with my 8800. I think its a bit too late for the iphone to create its own niche in the telco industry for the reason that the industry is already saturated. Apple has always been good with BRANDING and AD Campaigns but the true test of success will always depend on the consumers satisfaction. I think Blackberry is a top of mind brand because once you go Blackberry you wont go back
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.

Daiikun no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242A31A6

My concern (after trying out a friend's HTC model through AT&T) is that I don't like the touch screen. AFter working for Starbucks for so many years and realizing just how dirty a touch screen can be (ESPECIALLY GLASS) if you don't wipe it down after almost every use, the build-up can be nearly intolerable. Plus, I already have an 80gb video iPod. Why do I need the iPhone when I can do everything it can from my Pearl?

Not to mention I may upgrade to the Curve in the next few years once they get the wifi and 3G into it.

sgardiner no está en línea Stack level 2

Ihad a BB7520 thru nextel and was thinking about the iphone. I got the BB8830 instead. Awsome phone and you're able to download 3rd party software (very important).
    Only problem is everybody I talk to says the phone audio is terrible. My service is thru Verizon now,(Was Nextel/Sprint). Anybody else have this problem? I still have time to switch. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

While I'm sure the iPhone is a nice device, I'll stick to my Pearl. I just don't want a media device. Instead, I want an email / PDA / internet device. That's the Pearl in a nutshell.

Plus, the idea of a more delacite device with a touchscreen really doesn't appeal to me.

LLc0oLJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    so sick of the iphone...................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast