Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

thestandard.com : In the smartphone market, there are two stars that have a lot of ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

iPhone vs. BlackBerry: For once, Apple might lose a popularity contest

Advertisement

thestandard.com: In the smartphone market, there are two stars that have a lot of fans and seemingly constant publicity -- the iPhone and the BlackBerry. Since the iPhone’s introduction in 2007, it has steadily gained market share on the BlackBerry. Reports in Q3 2008 were that the iPhone went ahead of the BlackBerry for the first time in history. The numbers showed that Apple sold nearly 6.9 million phones, while Research In Motion (RIM), the maker of the BlackBerry, sold 6.1 million. (Nokia still leads both with 15.5 million sold in Q3.)

So this a clear-cut case of Apple beating RIM in the smartphone market, right?

Not exactly. It turns out that the iPhone numbers, while technically correct, come with an asterisk. According to Gartner, the numbers included both worldwide sales (4.72 million worth) as well as shipments to carriers/channel partners (2.18 million). It can be argued, certainly, that these are both sales numbers, but it isn’t clear how many of the 2.18 million that were sent into the channel were actually deployed versus sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold.

[read more]

boomermarkovich no está en línea Stack Professional
    I tried the I phone when my free upgrade from AT&T came around. I used it right up until the last day of the 30 day trial and went crying back to my 8310 begging forgiveness for my weaknes and doubting in my baby. Therapy is going well now. I can see the draw if your a kid. Honestly. But for honest working apps and overall satisfaction. BB is the only way to go. Reliable, and plenty of third party apps. I have made the occasional refferance to using an Iphone to scrape the junk on my BBQ grill. For the record......I love my BBQ grill way to much to defile it with this phone.
    Your gene pool needs a lifeguard

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    And the pillow fight continues.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Pity it took so long for bb to reply and the storm launch was botched. I have had a storm since launch and with OS upgrades its nearly perfect.
    ~via smartphone wap.pinstack.com~

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    This mobile device war is nuts. Everyone thinks the Iphone was on top when it only came down to user pref......
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Quote Originally Posted by goldengirl75 View Post
    And the pillow fight continues.

Lay the smackdown.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    So that really throws another number out there to be accounted for, how many of those were bought, only to be returned, and the user went back to their previously purchased BB
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by boomermarkovich View Post
    Lay the smackdown.

Ha ha! I needed a laugh this morning!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    In any event I'm anxious to see what the iphone3 will bring. I think that if they fix all these cut/paste and no mms before jailbreaking I will switch to it in a heart beat. No hard feelings my beloved curve
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Two of my family members own iphones. A 3G and a 1st gen iphone, so I definitely have had time to play with Apple's touch screen on more than one occasion. Always fun, interesting and intuitive to use, as well as a seemingly well built and shiny in an aesthetically pleasing way, the iphone is very charming. I can imagine that the initial excitement of owning such a nice looking touchscreen web-phone would vanish quickly after a few days. I say this because whenever I use the iphone it seems slower and less efficient than my Blackberry. On the iphone I need to use both hands, and while the OS is great and all (with a top-notch web browsing experience), it seems like the navigation between menus and applications takes a lot longer than it does on my Berries. Having to slide the phone lock across the screen every time before using the iphone contributes to the whole experience of making it seem so much SLOWER than my Blackberries.

The layout of buttons, shortcuts, scroll ball, and 2 assignable convenience keys make my Blackberry much easier to navigate through the menues and apps than on the iphones I have mingled with. In my opinion, being able to have multiple applications open and the ability to quickly and effortlessly jump from one to the other makes the user experience of the blackberry much more enjoyable and efficient than the iphone (at least for me anyway). Plus I can easily use my Blackberry with just ONE HAND. BB owns the iphone in this area hands down (or hand down).

While Apple's app store is a great thing, I think if I wanted a portable device like the iphone which has it's huge variety of applications, I would rather go for something with a slightly larger screen and footprint. Maybe something like that Archos 5 incher with built-in cell radios, wifi and gps. Now that would be something worth looking into if used primarily for entertainment and for mobile apps. But as far as a mobile communications device, I would much prefer one that functioned as a useful, fast, and efficient tool before being concerned with its aesthetic qualities and unique "innovative" fun/form-factor.
    Last edited by icaro2000; 02-19-2009 at 02:01 PM.

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    I understand that Apple's epic marketing strategies are impressive and ingenious, but I find their advertisements offensive and lame. It just seems very arrogant and pretentious how they push that subtle patronizing and condescending attitude of elitism towards it consumers. Apple's marketing is my #1 turn off when it comes to the iphone or any of their products. The sad and ironic thing is that I am thinking about buying a refurbished iMac in the next month for graphic design and school work. I have already owned a powermac and ibook, so I know the quality is to be had, but most people would be a moron not to buy Apple's extended warranty or protection plan (especially for the iphone).

lsu4lif3 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    i find the blackberry to be a more user friendly device and easier to do emails with, although i do envy the iphone app store, wish ours would come soon, but overall they are both good devices but i'll stick with my blackberry
    Never give up...you can always make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    In any event I'm anxious to see what the iphone3 will bring. I think that if they fix all these cut/paste and no mms before jailbreaking I will switch to it in a heart beat. No hard feelings my beloved curve
    I can't believe my ears!!! That's it!! It's official. The world is comming to an end. Obviously the Rat has succumbed to the brain washing of Apple. Don't give in. You must resist the dark side.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    I'm also anxious to see what the next update brings along. It could be very interesting?

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    I'm also anxious to see what the next update brings along. It could be very interesting?

Yes me too.

No MMS was on of the big things I didn't like about the Iphone; as well as the email and attachment issues as well.

I hope they learned their lesson, because they sure didn't with the Iphone 3G
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast