There's been speculation as to when exactly AT&T's exclusivity deal with Apple will end and ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

iPhone Looking Less Likeley For Verizon

Advertisement

There's been speculation as to when exactly AT&T's exclusivity deal with Apple will end and who will be the U.S. carrier to pick up the coveted iPhone first. The basis for the guesses has ranged from Verizon as the natural choice due to them being the largest company to T-Mobile due to a network similar to AT&T. About a month ago, we saw this article which quoted a Verizon exec as saying it wasn't really up to them.

Well, another analyst is seeming to confirm the tone of that article with a new take on the reasons we won't likely see the iPhone on Big Red's networks anytime soon.

via AppleInsider: "Though Apple striking a deal with the largest wireless carrier in the U.S., Verizon, would be ideal, competitors T-Mobile and Sprint are more likely to carry the iPhone in 2010, one analyst believes.

In a new note to investors Wednesday morning, analyst Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. said although many believe the iPhone will come to Verizon in 2010, it's likely wishful thinking. The problem, he said, is both Verizon and Apple have found success by focusing on "customer control." Their similarities are what he believes will keep them apart.

"Apple runs its own App Store and VZ has aspirations to do so," Wu said. "Apple controls the media experience with iTunes and VZ with its V CAST service. Moreover, Apple gets very favorable economics with an overall iPhone (average selling price) of $611 and at AT&T, we estimate it is higher at roughly $700. RIM, who is by far VZ's largest smart phone supplier, only has an ASP of $340. Palm's ASP is $436 and we estimate Motorola's Droid ASP is roughly $450."

Full article is available here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    No matter who may end up getting a piece of the Apple Pie there will still need to be some hardware changes. TMO 3G is a different than AT&T's.

I would just be happy to see anyone else get the phone. The more carriers the better off the consumer.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
    No matter who may end up getting a piece of the Apple Pie there will still need to be some hardware changes. TMO 3G is a different than AT&T's.

I would just be happy to see anyone else get the phone. The more carriers the better off the consumer.

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16
    I'm with you on that one. I hope it leaves AT&T asap so they bring home the Storm II or III. I wanna play with that phone so bad. If it doesn't get camera flash (the iphone that is) what's the point. Did you know that AT&T has risen the Early Termination fee due to this very reason. So many speculations about the iphone leaving AT&T and what not kinda confirms it by them doing so. It's only a matter of months. We shall see.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

Johnnycwebb no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20df0454
    I feel that verizon fumbled the ball a long time ago they had a chance to get the I-Phone and turned down Apple. So sorry Verizon you had your chance then. I hope Verizon never gets the I-Phone there format CDMA would not be a good fit for Apple anyway.
    Johnny Webb

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    If this comes out in the next 3 months, I'll be happy LOL

Johnnycwebb no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20df0454
    AT&T early termination fee is still the same $175.00. w/ a $5.00 for each full month toward your term. AT&T did not raise there fee 'raton' whatca talking about .
    Johnny Webb

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I'm glad that this is happening. I think its better that the iphone has competition with Droid and verizon. How boring it would be if every carrier just pushed the iphone.