iPhone Class Action Lawsuit A Cook County, Illinois resident has filed a class action lawsuit ... Smartphone News forum

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Lightbulb iPhone Class Action Lawsuit

Advertisement

iPhone Class Action Lawsuit

A Cook County, Illinois resident has filed a class action lawsuit against Apple and AT&T over the iPhone.

Jose Trujillo is claiming that Apple and AT&T misled iPhone buyers by not clearly informing them that the iPhone battery was sealed, and could only be professionally replaced.

According to the papers:

Unknown to the Plaintiff, and undisclosed to the public, prior to purchase, the iPhone is a sealed unit with its battery soldered on the inside of the device so that it cannot be changed by the ownerThe battery enclosed in the iPhone can only be charged approximately 300 times before it will be in need of replacement, necessitating a new battery annually for owners of the iPhone.

The suit would appear to have little credibility; the sealed battery issue was reported extensively prior to the iPhone being launched and was certainly never kept as a secret.

Looking at the phone prior to buying it and noticing it was a sealed device was would also appear to have been a difficult task for Mr Trujillo; perhaps it needed a sticker warning of the fact, something along the lines of "Presuming nothing, ask questions first" or "Not to be purchased by people chasing a quick buck and 15 minutes of fame."

(via Daily Tech)
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

rextilleon no está en línea Stack level 2
    Once again Apple people get Jobbed. Can you imagine having to spend over 80 bucks. Now imagine having to do this every 300 charges. The topper is you lose your phone while the repairs are being done!

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Re: iPhone Class Action Lawsuit

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Man I'd be pissed if I spent over 600 bucks and had to spend $80 more every 300 recharges! What a ripoff! Why not design it with a regular battery? So they can keep milking their consumers is the only possible reason!

kpishdadi no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Theres no applecare for the iphone? This would be included in applecare

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Just another reason NOT to get the iPhone.

But...the iPods are the same (in relation to the battery). The only difference is there are tutorials on how to open the Pod and replce the battery...

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

Man that's crazy. That's why I use a blackberry and have t-mobile! Lol. No really that's why I wouldn't get rid of my blackberry. I wouldn't have to go throuhg all these problems. I just hear so many horror stories about the iphone. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

there is applecare available now. But you shouldn't be required to purchase an extended warranty inorder to get proper service.
    As we all know Jobs likes to keep control of his devices. He likes closed software, closed casing, closed battery doors. He claims that he does this so that he has quality control. So that there aren't cheap chinese made (*cough* ipods, iphones, ibooks... all made in Taiwan *cough*) third party batteries that explode. And fair enough, that's a good reason, but how about you just make a quality replacement battery, at a competitive price. Or even better, offer them FREE! After spending $600 AND a 2 year term with ATT, the least you could do is offer a 2 year warranty on the thang.
    </rant>
    --
    DTx
    PIN: 207B3A96
    Bold 9000
    Rogers BIS
    OS 4.6.0.150

The SPCS Guy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30F558F8

there really is no need for the iPhone for me. My Pearl is better and the Pearl 2, will be HOTTER!
    I know a co-worker who just bought one and I played with it. It's cute, but it''s like a big Ipod Video!

JE

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dtx
    there is applecare available now. But you shouldn't be required to purchase an extended warranty inorder to get proper service.
    As we all know Jobs likes to keep control of his devices. He likes closed software, closed casing, closed battery doors. He claims that he does this so that he has quality control. So that there aren't cheap chinese made (*cough* ipods, iphones, ibooks... all made in Taiwan *cough*) third party batteries that explode. And fair enough, that's a good reason, but how about you just make a quality replacement battery, at a competitive price. Or even better, offer them FREE! After spending $600 AND a 2 year term with ATT, the least you could do is offer a 2 year warranty on the thang.
    </rant>

Here! Here!

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

edit never mind...

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

I'll say it again, good luck iphone buyers!
    Really does anybody think there was a necesity to stick the battery to the phone like that?

rextilleon no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The funny thing is to hear Apple and the cult of Apple explain this ripoff. I don't know about you guys but I charge my BB every night

tedya no está en línea Stack level 1

apple sucks and always will!

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

Alright, as much as I love my Blackberry, I have to put in my $0.02 on this. The battery has 300 Full battery charges. The phone's battery can operate at 80% for another 200. This is the same with any phone, so for the iPhone to do that also is pretty amazing. To replace the battery is $80, that includes S&H, and the cost of a new battery is probably about that much anyway. A new battery for a BB is about 40, so yes it is still twice as much, but that probably because of the touchscreen, IDK...

But the thing is, I love my curve, the only thing the iPhone has over it is the touchscreen, it is pretty impressive...

BTW, iHateApple!
    Cingular is now the new at&t

jchapman01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a51ff4

Quote Originally Posted by GBallew
    Alright, as much as I love my Blackberry, I have to put in my $0.02 on this. The battery has 300 Full battery charges. The phone's battery can operate at 80% for another 200. This is the same with any phone, so for the iPhone to do that also is pretty amazing. To replace the battery is $80, that includes S&H, and the cost of a new battery is probably about that much anyway. A new battery for a BB is about 40, so yes it is still twice as much, but that probably because of the touchscreen, IDK...

But the thing is, I love my curve, the only thing the iPhone has over it is the touchscreen, it is pretty impressive...

BTW, iHateApple!
    That is a good way of looking at it. I have to say that at first I thought it was a crappy thing to do, but when you think about it every manufacturer does exactly the same thing. And how often do people bring in batteries that are probably under warranty, but end up purchasing a battery for 40 to 50 buxx cos they don't know it has a warranty, or they don't want to wait for the manufacturer to send them a new one. In this situation the only thing that is bad is you have to send in the phone to have it replaced. Does anyone know if you can take it to an apple store to get your battery replaced? That would help things out.