Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If RIM does not get there act together on these BB's. I'm afraid they will ... Smartphone News forum

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

Re: Introducing the New Blackberry 8707g! (similar form to rumored 8703e)

Advertisement

If RIM does not get there act together on these BB's. I'm afraid they will see a mass migration to the Motorola Q and similar products. After watching a video that N8 just sent me, I'm really rethinking my position on Blackberrys. I see no reason that RIM could not compete for a share of the consumer market. Yet all they are doing is giving us token improvements on models that they have already released. They need a fresh approach to what they are putting out there for people to buy. Its just not enough anymore to have a BB when you can get products that do the same and more.

racinrocker no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    24b4c6de

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~grrrrr guess I should have waited a month longer than I did. This is the bb I wanted not the 8700. Oh well

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Meh. I doubt RIM will be in trouble unless a competitor can truly offer a reliable push email device. The Q and similar definitely don't fit the bill. People who want something that just works will stick with them. Those that jump at the drop of a hat for flashy devices are going to jump ship every so often anyway.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

So, this has 5 Bands and UMTS, and appears to be based on the same chipset as the 8700. This raises two questions, If I could get an unlocked version, could I use the Cingular UMTS enabled towers? and If I get the OS, will it put the UMTS capabilities on an 8700 or is that embedded further in the firmware?

I'm hoping the answer to both is yes, but from the quoted specs, these answer is probably no.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Ericbl no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i just bought the 8700g with tmo I still have 8 days left to return. Should I return for the 8707?

trinybwoy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F8984

Quote Originally Posted by Ericbl
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i just bought the 8700g with tmo I still have 8 days left to return. Should I return for the 8707?
    no dont, t-mobile doest have UMTS.

danlakeoz no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24F80A91

I agree with takeshi.. I was a gadget kid until I found my blackberry - I just can't handle not having true PUSH email. I thought I would really hate not having a camera, but I got over it and when I sometimes change to another phone without push email, I miss it. RIM are pushing in to the consumer market to grow their market, not because they feel they'll lose it.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

BryanSE79 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304CDF5D

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    So, this has 5 Bands and UMTS, and appears to be based on the same chipset as the 8700. This raises two questions, If I could get an unlocked version, could I use the Cingular UMTS enabled towers? and If I get the OS, will it put the UMTS capabilities on an 8700 or is that embedded further in the firmware?

I'm hoping the answer to both is yes, but from the quoted specs, these answer is probably no.

Rcbjr.
    Unfortunately no rcbjr. You would need a UMTS chipset as well, which the 8700g does not have.

mvarre no está en línea Stack level 1

one simple way RIM could get a bigger piece of the so-called "consumer market" is to more deeply integrate IM capabilities into the BB. i know many "consumers" that have BBs, sidekicks, and other types of "smart phones" that simply have them to have access to their email. add IM to that mix of easy to use, deeply integrates feature selling points and the so-called consumers have a much better chance of deciding that a BB is right for them. These days people dont require just a cool looking, small device. People are getting hip to the idea that functionality rules and percieved benefit of features sells devices. Even if it is IM for the 20yr old college dropout. Add myspace functionality like helio and you cant lose =P

shafferds no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23d2a4fe

umm now what good is having the umts if t-mo users cant use it or can they?? i think all they have is edge cause the 3g network has not been rolled out yet.
    DO OR DO NOT THERE IS NO TRY

wschnaer no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20447e7b

That device exists, and it's the Treo with Chatteremail installed. I switched from a Treo 650 to a BB 8700g under duress, and while I find that the BB does as well or better than the Treo on PIM functions, it is inferior for email. With Chatteremail on my Treo, I had true (and reliable) PUSH on my corporate Exchange email as well as my personal mail (on an IMAP server, with folder support).

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Meh. I doubt RIM will be in trouble unless a competitor can truly offer a reliable push email device. The Q and similar definitely don't fit the bill. People who want something that just works will stick with them. Those that jump at the drop of a hat for flashy devices are going to jump ship every so often anyway.

postalrecon no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3014B2CA

Quote Originally Posted by wschnaer
    That device exists, and it's the Treo with Chatteremail installed. I switched from a Treo 650 to a BB 8700g under duress, and while I find that the BB does as well or better than the Treo on PIM functions, it is inferior for email. With Chatteremail on my Treo, I had true (and reliable) PUSH on my corporate Exchange email as well as my personal mail (on an IMAP server, with folder support).
    so youre telling me for a treo to be better at email, you had to have a program installed? so is it safe for you to agree to this then

when it comes out of the box, blackberry is way better at emails than any treo is? oh wait a minute your treo probably just did a soft reset as you were responding to this.....

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

I just got to take a look at this model yesterday. It's available in Hong Kong, and at least two of the Partners there have been setup with them. Nice clean looking device. Now I have to find the firmware for it so I can try flashing an 8700c or g with it to get the same input and display support.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

8700g look a like ... but i like it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast