Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Originally Posted by peterme Pfluger - what do you think? If we don't care about ... Smartphone News forum

pfluger no está en línea Developer

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by peterme View Post
    Pfluger - what do you think? If we don't care about security is it better not to use the SSL setting?
    We haven't noticed much difference in overhead when using SSL, so generally I would recommend using SSL anyway, especially since socket without SSL seems not to work with all carriers. (Keeps saying 'Authenticating...')
    The encryption is done natively on the device, not bei instango itself, so it should be pretty well optimized.

PS: We haven't done extensive comparisons, so feel free to share any experience concerning i.e. battery consumption when using SSL/no SSL with us.
    instango, BerryBuzz, BerryWeather, BerryPopup, SmartAlerts - Get our apps at m.bellshare.com
    Follow us on Twitter for updates, news and promotions @bellshare

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    So nice, I removed NRFPT (Not Ready For Prime Time) from the Mini Version Tracker List, and posted this writeup on the change.
    Thanks for this!

I have read in your writeup that you had problems importing your address book. As this is a beta version we still have some (known) issues to resolve. This is one of them... ;-)
    Last edited by pfluger; 10-08-2008 at 07:21 AM.
    instango, BerryBuzz, BerryWeather, BerryPopup, SmartAlerts - Get our apps at m.bellshare.com

jzamoras no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204E9A8B
    It would be great auto login with last status and ability to not save chats.

Best,
    Jaime
    Last edited by jzamoras; 10-08-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Specs no está en línea Stack level 5
    I'd like to see a 'Collapse all' option for the contact lists if that's possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Specs View Post
    I'd like to see a 'Collapse all' option for the contact lists if that's possible?
    Already part of the next upcoming beta release.

leni_ no está en línea Stack level 1
    Does the program require a data plan to use? I'm guessing so, I just don't want to get charged seeing as I don't use a data plan for my BB (As unfortunate as that ): ....)
    Just figured it doesn't hurt to ask, either way!

Instango will work on both, a Blackberry plan or a regular data plan (or a combination of both).

If you want to use instango with your Blackberry plan make sure to select 'BIS' as the transport. To use it with a regular data plan select 'Direct TCP'.

Make sure your Blackberry plan does include enough traffic. Depending on your usage pattern instango will use anywhere between 20 and 200KB a day.

PIN/ID
    204E9A8B
    Quote Originally Posted by pfluger View Post
    Instango will work on both, a Blackberry plan or a regular data plan (or a combination of both).

If you want to use instango with your Blackberry plan make sure to select 'BIS' as the transport. To use it with a regular data plan select 'Direct TCP'.

Make sure your Blackberry plan does include enough traffic. Depending on your usage pattern instango will use anywhere between 20 and 200KB a day.
    Strange, just opening instango uses at least 200Kb.

Best,
    Jaime

How many contacts do you have on your contact list?

Make sure you are using the latest beta version from our forum and enable 'Compress traffic' from the settings.

You may also want to disable 'Automatically update photos' as this will consume large amounts of traffic for updating the contacts' avatars.

PIN/ID
    204E9A8B
    How many contacts do you have on your contact list?

Make sure you are using the latest beta version from our forum and enable 'Compress traffic' from the settings.

You may also want to disable 'Automatically update photos' as this will consume large amounts of traffic for updating the contacts' avatars.
    I don't care about traffic. I just wanted to state what I see.
    Last edited by jzamoras; 10-10-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Just for anyone concerned about traffic: As I mentioned, with a large contact list, compression disabled and auto photo update enabled 200KB upon login can perfectly be. The bulk of traffic is always being generated upon login when the contact list is loaded.

BTW: You may still want to consider using the compress option because saving traffic will usually also save battery.

PIN/ID
    204E9A8B
    BTW: You may still want to consider using the compress option because saving traffic will usually also save battery.
    What about overhead?

In contrast to SSL encryption the compression is not done by the device itself but by our own routines.

This will certainly impose a little overhead which in practical use though is not noticeable and would only appear while instango is talking to the server.

We are using compression on different devices here on a daily basis and have not noticed any slowdowns due to compression.

peterme no está en línea Stack level 3
    I assume that disabling the photo auto-update might also increase the battery life.

Photo auto-update should not considerably affect your battery life. The bulk of load will be done on your first login when most photos will be downloaded.

If the contacts on your contact list are not changing their photos very regularly further updates will be very infrequent.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast