Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been a huge fan of this service for quite a while and detailed the ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Google Voice Updated

Advertisement

I've been a huge fan of this service for quite a while and detailed the ins and outs of the service a few weeks back. The ability to give out one number that would ring my home and mobile phone, free SMS, and a single voicemail account for all my messages made for love at first login. However, the one feature I longed for was the ability to have my SMS forwarded to my GMail account without the need for a 3rd-party setup. The Google gods have decided to bless me this week.

Announced this week on the Google Voice Blog, the service has been updated to allow users to not only listen to voicemail through GMail, but also receive all SMS through GMail. From the blog:

Voicemail within GMail

"Previously, clicking "Play message" opened a new page in your browser, but starting today, you can play voicemails right in Gmail. Just turn on the Google Voice player from the Gmail Labs tab under Settings and whenever you get a voicemail notification, the player will appear right below the message itself."

SMS to GMail

"With Google Voice, you receive SMS messages on your phones AND in your Google Voice inbox, which means you can send SMS replies from either from your mobile phone or your computer. Today, we're going one step further by allowing you to get text messages by email. After enabling SMS-to-email forwarding, every time you receive a new SMS on your Google Voice number, we will send you an email notification."

While I'm excited about both features, the ability to receive all of my SMS messages through GMail means 100% free SMS using my GMail account and nothing else. This is great news for anyone who uses the service and like me, has had to rely on message forwarding through a program like Growl.

Check out the blog post here.

Get an invite for Google Voice here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Very cool additions, now if you excuse me I need to call Tmobile CS to cancel my text messaging service
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.190 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/1

mixoplex no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20F3C981

Great

I wanted to get a regular alert for the text message. So this can work now for me. Everytime I had to check my screen for an alert.. Woohooo. Thats what I have been using for all my text messaging. Gotta save that money anywhere ya can.

This is a SMS Text Message Stimulus.. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

mixoplex no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20F3C981
    I just want a regular sms alert to interact with the BB Profiles.. Oh well just gotta keep waiting... but this works thoug

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    That is brilliant news especially when travelling with a data plan.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    YESSS best app of the year in my opinion lol.

Nice update.

williamdefoe no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30C0AA6E
    do not take off your text messaging plan or you min plan...whatever service you are with they still use it like if you was texting or making calls...

DaX05 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by williamdefoe View Post
    do not take off your text messaging plan or you min plan...whatever service you are with they still use it like if you was texting or making calls...
    If that was the case, I'd be over my SMS messages by over 3,000 messages. As I only had 400 SMS text messages with T-Mobile. Then took it off my plan.

Using GV, I haven't stopped texting, haha! Google should be the "Company" to run this country. (Similiar to Prison Break, lol)
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else!"

T-Mobile 9700 | OS 6.0.0.344

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by williamdefoe View Post
    The SMS is sent using your data plan, not your carrier's SMS system. I have been using it for a couple of months now with 0 charges from my carrier for texts. You are correct however that calling your Google number or receiving calls from it will result in minutes used, unless you have a favorites plan and set your number as a favorite. Then your incoming/outgoing would potentially be free.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    How do you download the dialer for the blackberry? I can't seem to figure it out

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
    How do you download the dialer for the blackberry? I can't seem to figure it out
    Google Voice for BlackBerry can be downloaded at http://m.google.com/voice via OTA.

You can also use the Google Voice mobile website which works pretty well at http://google.com/voice/m.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Has anyone else had an issue of someone receiving duplicate responses when you reply to a message?
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.286 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

impak875 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DROID
    Never noticed this was part of my Google Voice account... I may actually use the number now!! Thanks for posting this!

frisco49ers no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2840D481
    Only works for US customers, damn!
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.282 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

impak875 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DROID
    Just called AT&T and cancelled my txt msg package... I'm loving Google Voice!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast