Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok folks, I'm loving Google Voice so far. The app is a bit limited on ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Google Voice SMS Pushed to E-mail

Advertisement

Ok folks, I'm loving Google Voice so far. The app is a bit limited on my Blackberry, but it's a great service that can only get better. The one thing I feel it is lacking majorly is the lack of push notifications for my SMS messages. I really love the idea of sending them for free through GV, but hate that I have to login to check 'em without incurring SMS charges from my carrier. Hayden posted a few weeks back about how to get email push on your iPhone here and I found an article here detailing how to take that a step further with GV. While I know the app was pulled, there are still quite a few people out there with it and of course it's still popping up for 'Jailbroken' devices. With a few ommissions and addtitions, the same method can send email notifications to your mobile device to notify you of new voicemails and SMS messages. I'll admit it's a bit complicated of a solution, but for those who are paying $10-15 or more a month for messaging plans, it's probably worth the trouble.

I tested this method on my Blackberry 8900 and it worked flawlessly. For iPhone users, the above article should walk you through everything you need. For other devices, follow the below steps (quoted from the original guide and edited to exclude iPhone information).

Step 1 – Setup Things in Firefox
    Open up Firefox and install Greasemonkey and Growl GNTP extensions.
    Restart Firefox
    Go to here and install Google Voice Script.
    If successfully installed, you will get a message in the Firefox status bar that says: Google Voice Script Installed Successfully.

Step 2 – Install Growl
    Install Growl for Windows.
    Follow the straightforward installation process and in the end click close to end the installation.

Step 3 – Register Applications with Growl
    Close Firefox completely and reopen it. You should receive a message at the bottom of the screen that says Firefox has been registered with Growl.
    Go to the Google Voice page and login. You should receive a message at the bottom of the screen that says Google Voice has been registered with Growl.
    Double click the Growl icon on your system tray and it should look something similar to this:
    Click on Firefox under 'Application Name' and on 'All Notifications', select 'False' for 'Enabled' (the original author explains that if you don't, you'll constantly receive spam from Firefox for downloads and updates).

Step 4 – Setup Email Forwarding

Click the Network tab and check the box 'Forward Notifications to Other Computers'.
    Click the green + symbol and you should receive a screen that looks like this:

The last option should be to send an email. Click it.
    Name your account something you can remember and enter the email address you want notifications fowarded to.
    Next, you'll have to setup your SMTP settings. If you want to use your ISP's setting, input them. You can use GMail's POP settings if you have an account setup (smtp.gmail.com - Port 995 - enter your GMail address and password - Check the SSL box), but you'll need to send it to another account obviously if you use GMail as the forwarder.
    Click Ok and then Close.

That's it folks. The script you installed earlier will refresh the XML parse through the GV page to check for new messages, though it will not refresh it on screen. The author of the script says however that it will NOT refresh the parse if the tab logged into GV is the main focus (to prevent refreshing while you're reading it) and recommends either minimizing it, or opening a blank tab and keeping that as the focus. Personally, I just leave a Firefox instance running with GV logged in and minimized. Now, everytime you receive a new voicemail, sms, or missed call and a notification is triggered in you GV inbox, Growl will pick up on it and forward it to your email account. Granted, you'll still have to jump on your GV app to reply if you wanna avoid SMS charges, but at least now you won't have to constantly log in to check for new messages.

As I said earlier, it is a bit complicated and requires that your computer always be on, Firefox be running with GV logged in, and Growl running in the background, but as I also said, if you're paying $10+ a month for messaging, it's a great alternative until Google implements this themselves.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Just wanted to post an update. I've had this up for about 19 hours now and I've sent/received about 12 text messages, all at no cost. Now I just need to wait for Google to build this into the app.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    Interesting. Will give this a try as soon as I return to the land of the living.

I wonder if I'll be able to get it to work on my 8320. Also, can you reply to texts natively (what happens when you reply to a received text)?
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

rsgold no está en línea Stack level 1
    It's not ridiculous. Nowhere in the developer contract does it say that Apple will cover the entire cost of a
    refund for apps that have been rejected from the App Store. It seems ridiculous to me that any developer
    would expect that from Apple or any publisher.
    In order to solve the problem of customers trapped in farming gold,it’s 100% safe!!!
    runescape gold runescape money
    runescape accounts runescape items

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre Lawrence View Post
    Interesting. Will give this a try as soon as I return to the land of the living.

I wonder if I'll be able to get it to work on my 8320. Also, can you reply to texts natively (what happens when you reply to a received text)?
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100
    You still have to go into the GV App to send text messages. What this effectively does is send you a notice when you receive a new text message through the GV system. Currently you have to login to GV to check for new messages.

Quote Originally Posted by rsgold View Post
    It's not ridiculous. Nowhere in the developer contract does it say that Apple will cover the entire cost of a
    refund for apps that have been rejected from the App Store. It seems ridiculous to me that any developer
    would expect that from Apple or any publisher.
    I'm not sure what this has to do with this particular thread, but if you're referring to the thread on Apple requiring developers of the GV App's that were pulled AFTER they had been approved and up for sale for quite some time, I cannot agree that the developer should have to refund the money.
    How to upgrade your OS

Semajames no está en línea Stack level 1
    I did what the instructions said to do and yet i still didn't get any email notifications... why would this be?

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Hi and welcome to Pinstack. Are you doing this for an iPhone or other device?
    How to upgrade your OS

DaX05 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I followed all the instructions & i'm still getting a sms message on my SMS/MMS Folder. Which means that I'm still getting charged for incoming texts. Also no email notification. What am I missing?
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else!"

T-Mobile 9700 | OS 6.0.0.344

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Check your settings in Google Voice on the page itself and see if the forward incoming SMS messages to your mobile number is checked. Also. what I actually had to do to get the script to parse the XML data was to open Firefox with 2 tabs, the first being a blank one. The second is where I login to GV. I then switch back to the blank tab and minimize. The script was designed specifically not to constantly refresh the data while you're viewing the page, so it can prevent the data from being pulled properly when it thinks you're looking at the page.
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Update. The author of the Google Voice script just posted a new version yesterday that actually displays the incoming text message inside of the notification email.
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Find me the link please. I'm still getting incoming text messages twice (In GV App & SMS/MMS folder).

MEEKO no está en línea Stack level 2
    How do you get google voice?? It says by invitation only so I filled out the email and have not gotten it. Am I not invited??

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Invites may take from a day to two weeks. Just be patient.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by DaX05 View Post
    Find me the link please. I'm still getting incoming text messages twice (In GV App & SMS/MMS folder).
    I can't link to your settings page as it would include account specific text in the URL. Go to http://www.google.com/voice and after you login, click 'Settings' in the upper right hand corner. From there you should see a box that says to forward incoming SMS to your mobile device. Uncheck it.
    How to upgrade your OS

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Amazing! I just fixed my problem. Under Settings in your Google Voice account just head to NOTIFICATIONS & under "Send a text (SMS) message to" check off "MOBILE".

Then under that, there's a hyper link that says "ADD A NEW MOBILE PHONE". Click on it. Your mobile phone number should show up. Click on "EDIT".

Under "SMS Settings" check off the only setting there which is "Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only)".

Now its completely FREE! To send & receive SMS, just head to the GV App on your BlackBerry device & it should show up there, if not just click the "MENU BUTTON" and hit on "REFRESH"

It's an alternative method that worked for me without needing any other extra extensions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast