I've been a longstanding fan of Google Voice. I got my invite within the first ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Blog Entries

Google Voice Has Competition

I've been a longstanding fan of Google Voice. I got my invite within the first few weeks of it's debut and have used and abused the SMS capabilities. The service has overall saved me a ton on my wireless bill and made it easier to for friends and family to keep in touch with me by calling one simple number that rings me wherever I am. It seems though that this innovative service has some competition in the form of a new service called Ribbit Mobile.

via eWeek:"Ribbit brought its cloud computing phone application to the mobile device sector Nov. 3 in the form of Ribbit Mobile, which lets users manage calls and messages to mobile phones from their computers. Ribbit Mobile aims to challenge existing Web services such as Google Voice and VoxOx, and offers many of the same services as those products. However, Ribbit features a third-party developer platform to enable programmers to build applications that extend the Ribbit Mobile platform.

Like Google Voice, Ribbit Mobile transcribes voicemail to text and sends it to users via SMS and e-mail, so that users don't have to tap into voicemail to listen to messages. The application also includes an online message inbox.

However, unlike VoxOx and Google Voice, which until last week required users to have a special Google phone number, Ribbit Mobile doesn't require a new phone number."

Check out the full article here.

Or just go to the company's site here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Hank061978 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Correct me if I'm wrong....please....but isn't Google Voice a "Free" Service? This Ribbit is talking a $30.00/mo service charge....Maybe I read it wrong.

-Hank
    Hate me for everything I am before you love me for something I'm NOT!!!

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    This is from their site...

"When the beta program ends, we'll still offer a free version of the service. So you can keep on using Ribbit Mobile for no charge - or pay a few bucks for a pro-level plan."

I am still more comfortable with Google Voice. I have no fear they will go broke anytime soon.

Any fellow stackers need a GV invite?. I have an extra.
    Last edited by Emmc; 11-03-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: More info

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Blog Entries
    I love GV too. As I mentioned, I grabbed me an invite the minute they were available and have thoroughly abused the service. Just nice to see some others out there trying to get some competition in the market going.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

GV has been flawless for me. It's the only numbers I give out. I have a personal number and one I use for business. I was even able to get a number I liked. xxx-xmyname

tkolgen no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304A9987
    I would like a GV invite if you still have it. tkolgen22@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Emmc View Post
    This is from their site...

"When the beta program ends, we'll still offer a free version of the service. So you can keep on using Ribbit Mobile for no charge - or pay a few bucks for a pro-level plan."

I am still more comfortable with Google Voice. I have no fear they will go broke anytime soon.

Any fellow stackers need a GV invite?. I have an extra.

Quote Originally Posted by tkolgen View Post
    I would like a GV invite if you still have it. tkolgen22@gmail.com
    Sent. Enjoy

tkolgen no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304A9987
    Thanks can't wait to try it out

Quote Originally Posted by Emmc View Post
    Sent. Enjoy

What do people think of Ribbit? I just received an invite. Is it better than GV?

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    I use GV to save on phone calls (I can manage it via BB). Is that possible with Ribbit?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I just got my Ribbit invite. Anybody else using this service as opposed to GV?
    It's always darkest before the dawn, so if you're gonna steal your neighbor's newspaper, that would be the time to do it.

Technical Support Blog | Forum Rules and Guidelines | Theme Posting Rules and Guidelines | Trust Level Explained