Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Originally Posted by Moe2005 Not true. You do need an invite, because without an account ... Smartphone News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Moe2005 View Post
    Not true. You do need an invite, because without an account the app is useless.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    You don't need and invitation. I didn't have one to use this - see posts #4 and #12 for the link to download this ap from your BB. If you don't have an account you can define one.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    I think RoGro assumed he already had a GV/Grandcentral account (without which, indeed, this app is useless.

I found the official app kind of lacking when compared to GVDialer, which really integrates with the BB interface. GVDialer ain't free though.

This solution (GV, GVDialer and YouMail combined) is a blessing to me. The money saved alone via MyFaves is great.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Thanks for the clarification, guys!

My mistake too. I thought you meant an invitation to download the ap. Account is needed to use Google Voice, which is what the article is about. However the new version has voice recognition search - I didn't have it download before this announcement so I don't know if that's new or not but that feature can be used without a GV acct if that's of any interest to users.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Tre Lawrence View Post
    I think RoGro assumed he already had a GV/Grandcentral account (without which, indeed, this app is useless.

I found the official app kind of lacking when compared to GVDialer, which really integrates with the BB interface. GVDialer ain't free though.

This solution (GV, GVDialer and YouMail combined) is a blessing to me. The money saved alone via MyFaves is great.
    I'm soooo confused!

Okay, so how does one get at GV account? You need to be invited for that?

I also use YouMail and am interested in hearing how these all work together.

What does GVDialer cost and what exactly does it do?

Thanks,
    Roger

You're right, Rogro.

To get a Google Voice account currently, you have to be invited by Google (though, there is some chatter about some people having invites to give... don't know for sure).

To get an invite: https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

The app JB posted about is the mobile app created by Google to go along with Google Voice. It allows you to use GV on your BlackBerry to make calls out.

GVDialer is another third-party apps that does what this app does, only better IMHO. I am writing a review due for today... the premise is that you can use GVDialer along with GV to make free calls by making your GV number a "Fave" on your calling plan.

Thanks, Tre. I'm interested in learning more about this as well as how it all works with YouMail.

Roger

I got an invitation to set up an account in GV and I can't get past the 1st step, which is to choose your number. There's a search procedure where you enter an area code or zip AND a "word" and then issue the search. I've tried about 50 combinations of things and all I get is"Sorry, no results for "xxxxx" in 5xx area code"

I'm not sure it's worth it - this is a very simple step and it won't accept ANYTHING if put in it - VERY FRUSTRATING!...and no obvious support to report problem to.

You don't have to use the word search function... there are relatively few numbers available, and I searched valiantly for a combo, and then just picked a random number in the area code.

It does allow you to pick any number available in the area code.

Wellllllll, a little late but thanks for the info anyway. I FINALLY got it take something. It doesn't say it's optional so stupid me kept on entering.... DUH!

calyx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20e17df5

Question

I'm still wondering how long it typically takes to get an invite, if someone could perhaps give me an idea. I don't like the fact you never even receive an email confirming that you submitted for an invite.

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    There is one very large bug in the application: when you initialize a call, it uses a 3rd number to make it, which is NOT your google number. Thus, if you use faves5 with Tmobile, it doesn't help. The reason this is a bug, is because through the web, this functionality works correctly. You get the incoming call from your google number and it bridges with the number you are calling.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I'm still wondering how long it typically takes to get an invite, if someone could perhaps give me an idea. I don't like the fact you never even receive an email confirming that you submitted for an invite.
    Would like to know too. As it stands right now, if you're not a member of GrandCentral, you have to wait for it to open up, at least that's what their site says. I'm not, so waiting on an invite whenever it comes around.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

It's hard to say "how long" it takes. My invitation came "out of the blue" - I don't know why I got it either. I just got one. :??:

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Not in my area yet but I'm waiting patiently for this to get here to me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast