When reading the Google Mobile Blog yesterday to read about the new features for BlackBerry ... Smartphone News forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Google Search Now has Optimized Search for iPhone & Android, Sort Of...

When reading the Google Mobile Blog yesterday to read about the new features for BlackBerry I saw that they also posted about new location based search suggestions on Android and iPhone devices.

"Typing a query into the search box on a phone can often be slow and difficult. For this reason, relevant search suggestions that match your intended query can meaningfully reduce the time and effort it takes to submit a search. Today in the US, we are happy to announce an improvement to search suggestions offered on Android powered devices and iPhone. Now, Google will offer suggestions based on the phone's current or last location, making the suggestions more relevant."

OK, sounds cool, and I went to the Google search page in my Android Browser on my Motorola Droid......."Location Unavailable" hmmm. OK, let me read more, maybe I'm missing something.

"For example, when users in the Boston metro area begin typing "Muse", suggestions such as "museum of science boston" and "museum of fine arts boston" are provided because people near Boston frequently look for these very popular museums. On the other hand, users in San Francisco who begin their query with "Muse" will see suggestions for museums in the San Francisco area. By using the device's current or most recent location, Google is able to offer even better, more useful suggestions than ever before. To try this yourself, go to on your phone's browser and start typing a query to see the new location-optimized suggestions. Make sure you have turned on "Save recent locations" and "Allow use of device location" under the Settings link on the home page.

Update @ 4:50 PM: Note that you may have to refresh in your phone browser to see the new optimized suggestions."

OK, Save recent locations turned on, check. Allow use of device location on, check. Refresh page, check. Still no location found. Go to google maps, location found quickly and accurately so GPS is working. Go to Settings/Location & security settings/ use wireless networks and use GPS both checked. Try via Wi-Fi, still "Location unavailable". So then I break out my iPod Touch, open Safari and go to Google search, refresh page and on my iPod Touch over Wi-Fi it finds my location in just a couple seconds and a test of the search works perfectly as suggested in the Blog. OK, maybe my DROID needs a reset, I haven't restarted it in days, maybe that will help.....nope.....out of desperation I pull a move from my BlackBerry days and yank the battery.....nope, still location unavailable.

Hey Google, I see something majorly wrong with this picture. An Apple product works better using your Google service than my DROID does running your very own Android OS. A search of several forums seems to show that the Location Unavailable issue has been happening ever since your first Android device, the G1 although it does not seem to happen to everyone.

I was not able to find a fix. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has Google acknowledged the issue? Of course on the DROID I can simply do a voice search, if I want museums on Phoenix I can just tap the voice search, say "museums Phoenix" and a list appears.....but I hate when things don't work right. If the Google search page is supposed to show my location and give search suggestions based on that location and it doesn't....that bugs me. If a device that I paid dearly for does not perform the operations it is claimed to be able to perform....that bugs me. I still love my DROID and voice search is great, but if I'm in a noisy area where voice search is not plausible, then it would be helpful if this worked. Maybe I'm just still a DROID noob, maybe this is user error, if so, please point out what I'm doing wrong!

[google mobile blog]
    Last edited by azstar; 01-15-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    It worked perfectly on my iPhone as well. That is weird that it wouldn't work on your Droid. Hmmm