Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is going to be great to test out when I get my curve next ... Smartphone News forum

tishabyte no está en línea Stack level 1

Advertisement

This is going to be great to test out when I get my curve next week.

AviatorJud no está en línea Stack level 2
    Interesting issue with this new version and my Tmo 8320...my current location(to within 100m) is showing up at exactly my old address in San Diego. I currently live in Austin, TX. Does it whether wifi is on or off. This is certainly going to be annoying.

mikeg89 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I don't understand how this is accurate , can someone inform me ?

If google knows you are on wifi, they get your IP ? We do an IP lookup to a database and determine what city your in ?

I do this regularly for web applications I develop and its somewhat accurate, by cityname. It goes off what the ISP has listed for the IP.

What information are we using to determine where the user is MORE accurately than cell phone towers ? Unless public wifi spots somehow updated their exact co-ordinates into some sort of database ??

I don't understand this one..

Thanks!
    mike123

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Me either however back when I had my iTouch there was this app that read your location of using wifi and I know that worked very well. Since now we are talking about Google here I think in due time they will make this cell tower / wifi combo really acurate
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well clearly it's not very accurate considering it's telling me my location is 1500 miles from where i am. Somehow it's got my old address from somewhere and thinks thats where i am.

dclawyer no está en línea Stack level 3
    It probably uses technology from SkyHook. They drive around the US with trucks, recording the MAC address of wireless access points along with geographical location.

n2SpEeD125 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Ok.. I think this new feature doesn't work very well.. It was fairly accurate before and now it shows me at the last wifi location and doesn't update.. Checked last nite and it showed me being 3 miles away at the starbucks that I had visited 12 hours earlier..

exiii no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    ask
    when I go to download the latest version, it gives me the same old 2.3.1 that doesn't use wifi. Is this version a device-specific download?

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    I also get 2.3.1, I've downloaded and get no closer to my actual location. It says it's my location within 1000 feet, it's more like 2 miles. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by dclawyer View Post
    It probably uses technology from SkyHook. They drive around the US with trucks, recording the MAC address of wireless access points along with geographical location.
    That would certainly explain my situation. That would be the dumbest thing they could do. Do they think people never move?! So until one of those trucks drives close enough to pick up my router here in austin, it's going to continue to say I'm still in san diego? That's insane.

AYN
    AYN no está en línea Stack level 2
    Not working!

I have T-mobile bb email, no data plan but wifi on 8320. Gmap 2.3.1 ( reinstalled thru wifi after seeing Hayden's post) after stucked for 2-3 mins, pop an info: This application requires a data connection, and some bb require reconfigutration to work properly.

Can Hayden clarify your post? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AYN View Post
    Not working!

I have T-mobile bb email, no data plan but wifi on 8320. Gmap 2.3.1 ( reinstalled thru wifi after seeing Hayden's post) after stucked for 2-3 mins, pop an info: This application requires a data connection, and some bb require reconfigutration to work properly.

Can Hayden clarify your post? Thanks!
    Pretty sure you still need a data plan. Wouldn't really be very useful on the go without it unless you're always somewhere with wifi.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorJud View Post
    Pretty sure you still need a data plan. Wouldn't really be very useful on the go without it unless you're always somewhere with wifi.
    <== Living proof. You DO need a data plan to run Google Maps. Other phone is 8320 without a data plan.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    I just hooked up my Wi-Fi at my house. I'm have an 8320 working off of a Linksys 54G (TM version.)

I already had 2.3.1 of Google Maps installed. Checked the location and it was the same as always. Exited GMaps, turned off Mobile Network, and am working on Wi-Fi UMA just fine. Made a test call to confirm.

Checked GMaps, and it still shows the exact same location (nearest tower.) How can that be with Mobile Network off??

OK - had a bright idea... did a battery pull with the same settings (Mobile Network off, it automatically turned Mobile Network back on, so I turned it back off) and fired up GMaps: same thing - pulls the closest tower info even though I'm not using a tower.

Interesting... but confusing!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by wyy183 View Post
    ..................turned Mobile Network back on, so I turned it back off) and fired up GMaps: same thing - pulls the closest tower info even though I'm not using a tower.

Interesting... but confusing!
    If I understand what you did, can wi-fi be picking up tower signals somehow is the question. Hmmm?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12