Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This looks like a pretty good buy from the Pinstack Shop.... Smartphone News forum

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

This looks like a pretty good buy from the Pinstack Shop.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

rrife no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Can you use this software instead of the Telenav pkg offered by the carrier and it will activate and use the phone's GPS. I thought the GPS was locked by the carrier, Alltel in this case, and couldn't be used any other way.
    That's the idea, instead of paying $10/mo for service, just pay $99 one time.....of course at either price you have to wonder why you wouldn't just buy a cheap gps navigation system and skip the monthly fee. The Storm, for Verizon anyway, only has VZNav available (and it's locked to VZNav)....which is junk compared to Telenav, Garmin, etc....so this is kind of big deal that we have more options.

Quote Originally Posted by rrife View Post
    That's the idea, instead of paying $10/mo for service, just pay $99 one time.....of course at either price you have to wonder why you wouldn't just buy a cheap gps navigation system and skip the monthly fee. The Storm, for Verizon anyway, only has VZNav available (and it's locked to VZNav)....which is junk compared to Telenav, Garmin, etc....so this is kind of big deal that we have more options.
    The point of my question here:

Can you use this software instead of the Telenav pkg offered by the carrier and it will activate and use the phone's GPS. I thought the GPS was locked by the carrier, Alltel in this case, and couldn't be used any other way.
    was not 'can I use the Garmin instead of the the Telenav but I wasn't clear. (I'm doing the Garmin trial now but I still have the Telenav going - a comparison of sorts.)

The question is, if I cancel the Telenav contract does that lock the phones GPS and make it unusable it I wanted to buy the Garmin and use it instead of paying the $10/month?

My understanding is that the GPS on the (Alltel, 8330) phone is locked UNLESS I opt for the Telenav package. I could be entirely wrong and hope I am - any Allte users out there no the answer.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

hitdog042 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by j llama View Post
    OTA 7 day trial

Can't seem to get a satellite lock while I am indoors in the office though currently.

Cost is $99.

Looks pretty nice though and it offers lots of features such as turn by turn directions, weather, and traffic.
    Is this OTA link still valid? I had it on my last Storm, but just got a replacement. When I hit the link now in the Storm, it says "invalid"

Yep. Invalid now. Maybe you can find something here. I suspect the 7-day trial has been pulled since it's been a week - even I can count that high....

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68
    I downloaded it, but now the trial is only 3 days!!!! Can you believe such a short trial??? That's just craziness! (Ok, so perhaps I exaggerate a bit, but it still ain't fun!)
    Last edited by woodi68; 12-30-2008 at 08:29 PM.

lancereeter no está en línea Stack level 2
    Garmin won't work on my Storm.
    I just purchased and installed garmin on my blackberry storm, and deleted VzNav, although I haven't cancelled the service yet.
    When I hit the application icon a message comes up: "garmin mobile has not detected a paired bluetooth gps reciever. please go to bb setting then bluetooth, then add device to pair., exit"

That's it. All I can do is exit the program, no menus, no options, just exit. Permisions are "allowed" and compatibility is "disabled".

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by lancereeter View Post
    Garmin won't work on my Storm.
    I just purchased and installed garmin on my blackberry storm, and deleted VzNav, although I haven't cancelled the service yet.
    When I hit the application icon a message comes up: "garmin mobile has not detected a paired bluetooth gps reciever. please go to bb setting then bluetooth, then add device to pair., exit"

That's it. All I can do is exit the program, no menus, no options, just exit. Permisions are "allowed" and compatibility is "disabled".
    This is probably a dumb question but do you still have your GPS locations enabled?
    -Josh

lancereeter no está en línea Stack level 2
    Turns out I purchased the wrong version. I now have the Storm version and it works.
    I have heard that you can check gas prices, but I can't find this feature. Anyone know?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123