Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It seems we can't go a day lately without a new story about some security ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Five Ways to Secure Your BlackBerry

Advertisement

It seems we can't go a day lately without a new story about some security screw-up involving a lost or misplaced Blackberry. This week, officials with John McCain's campaign mistakenly sold a Blackberry to a Fox television reporter for $20 in a fire sale. The device contained confidential campaign information. And many Hollywood gossip publications were abuzz earlier this month with news that Tom Cruise had lost his Blackberry while promoting a movie in Toronto. (Mixed reports now peg the device as either "found," or "never lost in the first place.")

With all of these slip-ups, it's no wonder White House officials want President-Elect Barack Obama to relinquish his Blackberry before taking office. With this in mind, CSO asked Dan Hoffman, author, mobile security expert and CTO of SMobile Systems, for his advice on ways to keep your Blackberry safe.

Treat your Blackberry like a PC. You wouldn't shop online, open email attachments and check your bank account on your PC without having the proper firewalls, anti-virus and anti-malware protections in place, would you? So, why are you doing it with your Blackberry? A Blackberry is a mini computer, said Hoffman.

"The perception that viruses and malware are not a problem on Blackberries is out dated," said Hoffman. "The reason we don't hear about widespread infections is because the nature of malware has changed. Infections used to be done for fun and notoriety. Now these crimes are financially motivated."

[read more]

bbguy2 no está en línea Stack level 1
    "Spyware can intercept every email and text message that goes in and out of the device. And it can remotely turn on the phone and listen in on conversations," said Hoffman."

That's only possible if your default permissions setting for PIM and email/messaging for newly-installed third-party apps is set to Allow (which seems to be the case on my 8330)

I wonder, is there a way to set it to Deny for all third-party apps?

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    I figure you'd have to manually do it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Morgase no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    If it's a corporate device and you work for a company with an enterprise Blackberry server, contact IT immediately. They can remotely lock or wipe the device. If it is your personal Blackberry, or if your company doesn't have that kind of support, consider installing software that gives you this kind of capability. Investing in a program that gives you remote access means you can lock the device so others can't get into it.

Any suggestions on an application for a personal BB?
    Sometimes at night, the Moon howls and the Wolves listen.

~Morgase~
    Device Pro, Bellshare Moderator

For Bellshare support please go to:
    Bellshare Customer Service

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgase View Post
    If it's a corporate device and you work for a company with an enterprise Blackberry server, contact IT immediately. They can remotely lock or wipe the device. If it is your personal Blackberry, or if your company doesn't have that kind of support, consider installing software that gives you this kind of capability. Investing in a program that gives you remote access means you can lock the device so others can't get into it.

Any suggestions on an application for a personal BB?
    I'd also be rather curious to find something for myself, I use my Bold for EVERYthing and losing it would be devastating.

Bob G no está en línea Stack level 2
    The most full-featured option for BIS users is RobLock. It works and I still use it, but beware that it still has a lot of issues
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 12-18-2008 at 01:35 PM.

pram1976 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i registered in this site specifically for replying this after i read this post. i use a 8320 and roblock works great in my bb. its simple yet very powerful (must have) app. Although iam not convinced on the usage of the web interface as it is not user friendly, it works great for its basic purpose. Remote wipe is the best feature i like in roblock.

RCode no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F0A29
    I wouldn't have a BB without a password on it for one. Atleast then after 10 attempts of trying to unlock it, it will wipe itself.

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    Quote Originally Posted by RCode View Post
    I wouldn't have a BB without a password on it for one. Atleast then after 10 attempts of trying to unlock it, it will wipe itself.
    You are braver than I. You have 3 attempts and then epic fail. :-D

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG
    I use Roblock also... Great app.... The web interface takes some getting use to, but they do have documentation that will help you with both, web client and app client...
    Works perfectly for me when I tested it when I had it on my Curve, before transferring it to my bold. I remote whipped my device after backing it up. It worked great and the GPS location is with the google maps on where your device is currently is great too!
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

StephenGuy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30636d59
    Quote Originally Posted by boxaberry View Post
    You are braver than I. You have 3 attempts and then epic fail. :-D
    I had that backfire on me. Twice now. So it's set at max tries.
    Don't give the passwords to your non-bb using girlfriends.
    They just don't understand.
    -Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenGuy View Post

how did you make it MAX TIMES when it only gives you the option for 10

jbean7916 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245A99C3
    I keep my BB secure by never letting in out of my sight ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Thanks Cherri.

eazid no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenGuy View Post
    My idea of a secure password is one that no one else noes.... and no one could guess.

If me and one other person crash in the boonies and my Blackberry is the only device.... they better understand the emergency call feature.
    "Who Dares Wins"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast