Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I tried the new 2.0 but I couldn't get it to work on my 8300. ... Smartphone News forum

JohnnieP no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Question Re: FindIt 2.0 Released

Advertisement

I tried the new 2.0 but I couldn't get it to work on my 8300. I found the instructions very hard to understand. I even had their tech support to help me but I could only get help through Email(no Phone Support} which took forever. Does anyone have a simpler step by step instruction that a dummy like me could understand?

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Re: FindIt 2.0 Released

It's pretty straightforward, but if the emails between support and yourself didn't do the trick, I'm not sure we can do much better on the forums... but let's give it a go. (Also, I don't run 4.3 OS, just FYI).

Did the app install okay without errors? If so, we'll continue.

Open up FindIt and the main (and only) screen will look like the screenshot above. We will take this one step at a time. Next to the trigger tag to make the phone ring, let's use the screenshotted example: ring555 Type that there and escape out of the program.

Next, go to your PC and, preferably not from your main email account (in case you have emails from yourself filtered out), send yourself an email. Or have a friend send you an email (to one of the email accounts that you get on your BB). In the subjectline, put "ring555" without the quotes and preferably in the same case as your trigger tag. In the body of the email, put a message, such as "This is a test".

Then wait for the email to arrive on your BB. Put the phone in Normal Profile for now.

Now, I have not gone into detail about setting up the sounds you want to use in your Profiles, nor the GPS or Callback test, nor setting permissions for GPS access. We are taking this slowly. Let's see how this little test goes before going any further. Basically, the phone should ring, a popup box should come up displaying the contents of the body of the email along with an OK button. The sender of the email should get a reply back of some sort which acknowledges that the OK button was pressed.

Anyways, post how you make out and we can proceed from there depending on how it works out thus far.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

stnkyq2 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    IMTHTG

One thing that I noticed you have to do a bettery pull then send a email to your BB in order for it to work. I had to do this last time with the 1st version of the software for it to work on my Curve 8310......
    "A clear cut vision is the best path to success.. persistence is the vehicle you arrive in..." -Rev. Run

Crackberry @ddict for LIFE..........

bking39116 no está en línea Stack level 1

Alt-Caps-Del worked for me on the OTA version. Almost drive me nuts.

bk
    8830 on Alltel

Thea1981 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ooooooh

blackrn no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    217B6A51

ABout to check this out now..
    Christopher Williams
    Global Lifestyle Consultants

blulite no está en línea Stack level 1

This program sounds great, so I load it OTA. I test a sample email with a warning message, I get a pop-up. Looks great.

Thennnnnn.......

I no longer send/receive emails from my bb. Looks like I've got some debugging to do, and maybe the developer does as well.

JeffA
    Edit - sure enough, my company BES server went down over the weekend. I've not reinstalled FindIt, but my problems were with my IT guys, not this application.
    Last edited by blulite; 02-18-2008 at 07:05 PM.

PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Quote Originally Posted by blulite View Post
    Thennnnnn.......

I no longer send/receive emails from my bb. Looks like I've got some debugging to do, and maybe the developer does as well.

Jeff
    The application just checks the emails in your inbox to see if they have a matching trigger tag to what you set it for. If it finds a match, it will take the appropriate action; if not, it doesn't do anything.

What do you mean by you 'couldn't send emails from your BB'? They had a big red X beside them? Did you set your default email address farther down below in the FindIt setup screen? If not, (I don't know, just guessing here), FindIt may be trying to send the response email (the email acknowledging that the OK button has been pressed) to nowhere and finds it can't.
    -Klotar

PIN/ID

Hey Klotar, thanks for your help. I did exactly as you described and I get the mail on my BB with "ring555" in the subject but nothing happens. I did a reinstall but that didn't do anything and I also tried a battery pull but no luck. Does this work on the 8300 and ATT. Also I am using BBSmart email viewer. Could this be the problem?
    Last edited by JohnnieP; 02-17-2008 at 07:35 PM.

FairGame no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2436b02f

I would love it if it could wipe the device that is not on BES~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnieP View Post
    Hey Klotar, thanks for your help. I did exactly as you described and I get the mail on my BB with "ring555" in the subject but nothing happens. I did a reinstall but that didn't do anything and I also tried a battery pull but no luck. Does this work on the 8300 and ATT. Also I am using BBSmart email viewer. Could this be the problem?
    Hmmm... if FindIt has the trigger tag as 'ring555' and you receive the email but nothing happens (no popup box, no sounds), let's check a few things:

1) is FindIt running? Use the switch ribbon (task switcher) and see if it's running. Should look like a small calculator icon. Don't click it, your BB will lock up. Just see if it's there or not in the ribbon. If it is there, we'll proceed; if it's not there, then it's not running.

2) If FindIt is running, let's check your permissions. I'm not sure about 4.3 OS's, but I get there by clicking the Options icon, Advanced Options, then Applications. There should be a list generated with all your installed apps. Scroll down to FindIt, click it once, then click it again and Edit Permissions. Set Connections and Interactions both to Allow for now. I know for sure that you have to definitely set GPS to Allow but for the time being, let's set them all to Allow for this troubleshooting process.

A popup box MAY have come up at one time or another and maybe you pressed Don't Ask Again and Don't Allow. I don't know, it's only a theory, might be wrong.

Anyways, once that's done, I'd pull the battery and reboot the phone and try the 'ring555' test again. Let us know how you make out.
    -Klotar

PIN/ID

Findit is running and permissions are set to allow.Did a battery pull, Still nothing happens.

PIN/ID
    207BADEB

I'm at a bit of a loss then; at first I thought it might be a 83xx OS thing but I see some are running FindIt successfully.

If you are sure that ring555 is the trigger phrase set in FindIt and that ring555 is the subject of your email message, then you are doing it the same way that I am doing it.

While I can understand that the phone might not make noise (if you haven't set your profiles for FindIt yet -- which we haven't covered), I don't know why you don't at least get a popup box.

Let's look at it differently. Is your BB a private device or on BES? Is your phone keyboard locked and/or device locked (passworded)?
    -Klotar

PIN/ID

My BB is a private device and no locks anywhere. Do you think that the BB Smart email program has anything to do with it?

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5

Hm.. I got the upgrade last night and set it up and re-booted my BB. I tried several test e-mails and it doesn't seem to be working..
    ~Lauren

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast