Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Telenav's gas price feature allows users to use GPS to find which gas station near ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Find The Cheapest Gas Using Telenav's GPS Navigator and Save $$$!

Advertisement

Telenav's gas price feature allows users to use GPS to find which gas station near them has the cheapest gas. The service will search around your current location (or another location that you specify) and tell you what each gas station is charging that day. You can sort by cheapest, type of gas and/or brand. Then you can get turn-by-turn GPS directions to that station. This feature is included in all TeleNav GPS Navigator versions. Launch Telenav and it can be found under the Business Listings (POI search).

(Screenshot a bit out dated, prices are almost double that now!)

[Try Telenav Free for 30 days!]

[Read More]

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Will it calculate how much money you won't save by driving out of your way to save $0.05/gallon?
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    ask
    I think the aim is to find the closest and cheapest stations especially when traveling maybe out of state. Presented with such useful data its something I could easily use to save gas in the US.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I love this feature! Right now there is a 15 cent difference in price per gallon for regular. This price range is for stations less than 10 miles from my house. $3.99 - $4.15

It's much easier to use this than to cruise by all the local stations looking at prices!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    Will it calculate how much money you won't save by driving out of your way to save $0.05/gallon?
    hahaha..I was thinking the SAME THING!! good one....
    But I understand the purpose..pretty neat idea for travlers

pshift no está en línea Stack level 3
    Lemme see, save $0.10 per gallon but travel 10 miles to save the $0.10 and your car gets, say 20MPG and gas is $4.00 per gallon?

Use $2.00 in gas but you will have to fill up with 20 gallons of gas just to break even. Unless the trip is short, and you have a high MPG car, saving pennies is really not worth it. This includes the value of your time as well. When gas was $0.50 per gallon, it made sense back then to save a few pennies but if you do the math for your situation, you'll probably find out that you have a false sense of saving money.

Of course, YMMV.

PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by pshift View Post
    Lemme see, save $0.10 per gallon but travel 10 miles to save the $0.10 and your car gets, say 20MPG and gas is $4.00 per gallon?

Use $2.00 in gas but you will have to fill up with 20 gallons of gas just to break even. Unless the trip is short, and you have a high MPG car, saving pennies is really not worth it. This includes the value of your time as well. When gas was $0.50 per gallon, it made sense back then to save a few pennies but if you do the math for your situation, you'll probably find out that you have a false sense of saving money.

Of course, YMMV.
    Now that he knows there is a station 10 miles from his house he simply fills up there on the way pass it in either diretion and not make a special trip from his house to the station. lol

I can't tell when I've ever left my house just to fill up my car. It's always on the road and little light comes on and I try to pulling to the nearest.

20mpg!!! would be a hummer, if he drives one then he shouldn't care about gas prices If you get 20mpg and worried about gas prices you'll need a new car

Its all a matter of planning. If I am heading out and going to the bank, post office, gym, and on my way home stopping at the grocery for milk and bread......then I just see which of the many stations I know I'll be driving by has the cheapest price!!

Makes cents to me!!

Last edited by azstar; 06-11-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: darn suretype :D

PIN/ID
    ask
    haha. Exactly my thought. Makes cents to me too.
    Last edited by jamesarh; 06-11-2008 at 07:44 PM.

JNHohol no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks Hayden, this is useful information.

Realistically you can find out where the best price for gas is on your day to day travels. You don't always need to fill up close to home, maybe the cheapest gas is near your work.

It is the principle anyway. Try to pay as little as possible and support the stations with the lower prices.

I could have used the atm finder last night, also under business listings (within category). I was out of town and needed some cash for parking. I didn't realize that there were preselected search items.

Thanks again for making my Blackberry even more useful.

Smooth Chef D no está en línea Stack level 1
    I love my Telenav!! It is well worth the money to those who have it.

tws777 no está en línea Stack level 3
    According to the pic above, I am moving to Washington. It's only $2.81 at Shell right now! Woohoo!

PIN/ID
    ask
    (Screenshot a bit out dated, prices are almost double that now!)

Quote Originally Posted by pshift View Post

Of course, YMMV.
    Not a false sense of saving at all....see my followup post.....

Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Its all a matter of planning. If I am heading out and going to the bank, post office, gym, and on my way home stopping at the grocery for milk and bread......then I just see which of the many stations I know I'll be driving by has the cheapest price!!

Makes cents to me!!

As a single mom to a teenager, I'm a bargain hunter, I also clip coupons and read unit prices on supermarket shelves before grabbing the one marked "on sale".

Don't be so quick to assume people are quite so dumb as to drive 10 miles out of their way to save a buck on a fill-up. But if I figure cheap gas before I head out, plan my errands, that 1 dollar savings per fill-up, one fill-up per week, helps pay for a new pair of tennis shoes each year (on sale of course)
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More
    I too love this newly found feature... new to me anyway...

And for all the party poopers posting above... simply don't use it.. don't save those pennies. At the end of the day, it's about making the berry as useful as possible and this certainly aids that cause...

Thx Hayden

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast