Users of Mozilla's Firefox browser can attest that it's a great product and at least ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Fennec A Likely No-Go For BlackBerry

Advertisement

Users of Mozilla's Firefox browser can attest that it's a great product and at least in my opinion, exceeds IE by a country mile. I am also an avid user of Thunderbird, Mozilla's email client and haven't looked back on Outlook since installing it. The thing that first grabbed me about Firefox when I downloaded it was the tabbed browsing ability. No more opening 3-4 windows to have multiple sites open. The second was the ability to easily add themes and extensions which further enhanced the overall browsing experience.

Mozilla has been working to bring these features to the mobile platform through their mobile browser Fennec. Built on the same core technology as Firefox, Fennec has many of the same great features as the desktop version including:

* Tabs that let you browse multiple sites at once
    * One-click bookmarking to quickly organize websites
    * The Awesome Bar for super-easy navigation
    * A growing collection of add-ons that let you customize your mobile browser
    * Plus, Fennec boasts a touch-enabled interfaced optimized for the small screen

Last month, the story came out that Fennec had been released on the Windows Mobile and Maemo platforms. At least in alpha/beta stages, but it was a step closer nonetheless to the mobile browser being a competitor for native browsers and 3rd-party ones such as Opera and Bolt. I've personally been looking for quite some time for this to land on the BlackBerry platform as have a lot of other people. However, I received a response from Nicole Loux at Mozilla and sadly, my hopes were all but dashed.

Thank you for your note. Please see the response below from Jay Sullivan, our VP of mobile:

Currently we do not have plans to develop Fennec to run on the Blackberry. Third party applications for Blackberry are generally developed in Java, and Fennec uses the Gecko rendering engine, which is developed in C/C++. We have beta and alpha versions available for the Maemo and Windows mobile platforms, and will continue to explore others as the Project evolves.

Best,

Nic

It's not a definite no, but it does seem like the browser will not be coming to the BlackBerry platform anytime soon. Guess I'll have to be content to using Firefox on my PC and keep my fingers crossed that the folks at Mozilla manage to bring Fennec to my 8900. For those using the Windows Mobile or Maemo OS', you can grab the download here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    This is why I'm eagerly awaiting the public release of Skyfire for Blackberry, seems to be the only alternative to Fennec for us crackberry users.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.282 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Booooo for fennec, I had my hopes on them
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.130 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    I did too. I really wanted to see this browser come to the BB platform.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me
    Very sad but Im still holding out hope for a change of mind by the mozilla team, perhaps a java loader program to run it in its c++ format.
    ----
    "If you aren't remembered, then you never existed." – Arisu

"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from.." - Spike Spiegel