Joe Soto, general manager of an advertising firm in Philadelphia, has a complicated relationship with ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Feelings mixed on jump in e-mail, study says

Advertisement

Joe Soto, general manager of an advertising firm in Philadelphia, has a complicated relationship with his BlackBerry smart phone..

He felt "awful" and out of touch when he was without a BlackBerry for two days because his unit fell overboard when he was sailing on the Chesapeake.

At the same time, if he could turn back the clock five years, to before the BlackBerry took over corporate America, he would do it "in a minute."
    "If everybody also threw their BlackBerrys away, I would too," he said, chuckling. "The only problem is, in my industry, it makes me more competitive."

A recent study by the Pew Internet and American Life Project shows that workers in general have mixed feelings about the increased use of e-mail and the Internet in the last few years.

In a survey of 2,134 adults in March and April, 96 percent used e-mail, the Internet or cell phones. Of them, 80 percent said these technologies have improved their ability to do their jobs, and 58 percent said these tools have given them more control over when to work.

But 46 percent also said these devices increase the demands that they work more hours, and 49 percent said that the technologies make it harder to disconnect from work when they should be off.

Half of the respondents who were employed and had e-mail said they check their work e-mail on weekends, and 22 percent said they checked office e-mail "often" on weekends, up from 16 percent who said the same thing in 2002.

Much of the increase can be attributed to increased use of wireless e-mail devices like the BlackBerry, made by Research in Motion Ltd. Of those who have such gadgets, 40 percent say they often check work e-mail on weekends. A quarter often check even when on vacation.

"The scariest thing was when I was on vacation a couple of years ago, and my BlackBerry rang. I was in the middle of the Sahara Desert!" Soto said. Checking work e-mail is considered much more important for people making more than $75,000 a year than it is for low earners, just as high earners are more likely to have longer hours. Also, those who work for large corporations are much more likely to be checking their e-mail "constantly" at work, compared with those who work for smaller companies.

For workers in general, it's unclear whether e-mail alone is increasing the amount of work. Other studies show that people have worked roughly the same number of hours every week for the last two decades. In the Pew study, 17 percent said e-mail had increased their work hours, while 6 percent said e-mail reduced their work time.

[read more]

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    I fell into the work email at home trap.... That is until I got a second Blackberry. One is for work One is for personal use. While many folks don't have both of my phone numbers, few have both of my email addresses.

The solution... Call forward the work BB to my personal BB and then turn the work device off. Thus I am not bothered by work emails on the weekends. Anyone who could possibly bother me with work related issues has been told only to call in EMERGENCIES.....

Problem solved, until Monday morning when I turn the work device on and get my upwards of 100 emails.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Lowercase no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30D51B0D

Thumbs up Ahhh yes

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinks View Post
    I fell into the work email at home trap....

Problem solved, until Monday morning when I turn the work device on and get my upwards of 100 emails.
    I would agree on this. I usually just keep mine off on the weekends, just for that sole reason. I just use my little ole' Nextel 880 (I just love that phone for some reason) for the personal at the moment until I get my hands on the new DC Blackberry, but I myself am also a victim of a redundant amount of e-mails on Monday morning.

I feel your pain!
    "My Crackberry is faster than the Rev's Blackberry®."