sfgate.com : Increasingly, Facebook and Twitter are overlapping, setting the stage for one of the ... Smartphone News forum

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Facebook moving into Twitter territory

Advertisement

sfgate.com: Increasingly, Facebook and Twitter are overlapping, setting the stage for one of the biggest Silicon Valley rivalries over the next few years.

Both companies want to play a major role in how people communicate online, a potentially lucrative business but one that is hardly settled given the ever-shifting online landscape.

Although different in their approach, both services enable people to post updates about their lives. Did your baby make a funny face? Did you enjoy "Slumdog Millionaire"?

The budding rivalry between the two companies heated up last week when Facebook introduced a major redesign that makes it more of a destination for real-time posts, turf that Twitter is famous for.

Instead of waiting 10 minutes or so for friends' messages, photos and videos to appear, Facebook's users can see them stream live onto their home pages. The changes give Facebook more immediacy, much like the stream of micro-posts that spew from Twitter.

Todd Chaffee, a venture capitalist with Institutional Venture Partners and an investor in Twitter, said that it's natural to want to lump Twitter in with Facebook. But he said that Twitter is more of a communications tool, and that only one of its many uses intersects with Facebook.

"I think they are two different animals," Chaffee said. "Think of them on a Venn diagram - the circles happen to overlap a little bit in social networking, but that's all."

In any case, Chaffee insisted that people will use both services rather than choose between the two. If anything, he said, people will cut back on text messaging and e-mail given their limited time.

[read more]

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Twitter is more my kind of thing because I'm too lazy to maintain something like Facebook. That and I don't need a lot of communication to and from people. Just state, send and forget about it for a few minutes.

ct5694 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    interesting article! i just signed up for Twitter recently (ive had Facebook for 1 year now) they are similar but also different! i agree with the article, i think people are going to sign up for both-
    i heart pink robots, cupcakes, and sushi.
    www.nerdyconnie.com

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180

lmao

Quote Originally Posted by goldengirl75 View Post
    Twitter is more my kind of thing because I'm too lazy to maintain something like Facebook. That and I don't need a lot of communication to and from people. Just state, send and forget about it for a few minutes.

ironically enough, I read somewhere that Twitter can be compared to blogging for us folk with ADHD .. heheheh

here's a cool article that i suggested to my latest real world friends that have become fellow tweeters on twitter.

Article 3 of a 4 Part Series about What Twitter is, why you may want to use it, How to use it, how to be successful on twitter

Cool Shegeek.net article TWITTER 101
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." ~BLAISE PASCAL

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    No brainer......facebook rocks!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I use FB for more personal communictions and Twitter to follow the op-ed and newscasters that I like the most so for me it's two entirely different functions.

Also I'm fairly new to both - FB for about 3 months, Twitter for a couple of weeks.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    i dont use facebook at all i prefer myspace for people i know and having used twitter for about 2 weeks im obsessed with it its a simple setup that works why didnt i think of it

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    i connected my twitter account to my facebook profile so when i update my twitter it updates my facebook status at the same time. two birds with one stone. partial pun intended kinda.

9of13 no está en línea Theme Pro
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    i connected my twitter account to my facebook profile so when i update my twitter it updates my facebook status at the same time. two birds with one stone. partial pun intended kinda.
    How did you do that?
    For my theme blog, remember....
    Resistance Is Futile

ct5694 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    apps.facebook.com/twitter

you can also import other sites into Facebook:

go to your profile, on your wall there should be a little icon that says settings. it should be right underneath the write on your wall box. When you click settings, it give you the option import stories from other sites such as
    1.Flickr
    2.Digg
    3.Picasa
    4. Delicious
    5.Google Reader
    6. YouTube
    7.StumbleUpon
    8. Last FM
    9. Photobucket
    10. Hulu
    11. Yelp
    12. Pandora
    i heart pink robots, cupcakes, and sushi.
    www.nerdyconnie.com