Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

There's one major difference between Skype for iPhone and Skype for BlackBerry. Skype on iPhone ... Smartphone News forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

CTIA 09: Skype for iPhone vs. Skype on Blackberry

Advertisement

There's one major difference between Skype for iPhone and Skype for BlackBerry.

Skype on iPhone is truly VOIP, the connection is made over Wi-Fi just as it would connect on your PC. On the other hand Skype on BlackBerry connects to Skype's servers using a regular voice call. In other words, when you click "call" contact, it will load the 813-xxx-xxxx number (voice call) to connect with Skype servers. Obviously, this means if you travel outside the US you will be charged INTL. rates to make that connection. Not the case with Skype on iPhone.

The downside on the iPhone is that Apple (most likely via AT&T's request) instructed Skype to restrict connections to "Wi-Fi only", thus 3G connections are blocked... for now at least.

Beyond that we played with Skype on iPhone and it works great! For someone like myself who travels between the Caribbean and the US quite often, this is a great solution. Skype on BlackBerry works ok also but as said before its a lite version so not as many features and as mentioned, no connection via mobile data.

Skype for iPhone has quickly become the #1 downloaded top free app in the iTunes store in the following countries:

- US
    - UK
    - Holland
    - France
    - Italy
    - Russia
    - Australia
    - Germany
    - Spain
    - Japan

It's also the #2 download in China.

Overall most users may still find Skype on Blackberry the better option since can make a call from anywhere. There's no need for a Wifi connection.

beejreit no está en línea Stack level 2
    Wow the skype on iphone sounds like a really great app. Wifi is really all you would need since you essentially have a phone. That would be great for travel because you could just drop into a local wifi hotspot to make a call home. Or to one of your contacts. I hope wifi integration is in store for the blackberry's that support it.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

s2kneSs no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    The two have their ups and downs. I like the wifi option but I don't like that it is strictly prohibited to make calls only through wifi. On the other hand with the bb version of the app its great that you could make calls from anywhere in the world, but being charged for WED, APR 1, 2009 is indeed a bummer. Skype with wifi on bb's would be awesome. Its a let down for iPhone users..what if a power outage happens? Your screwed outa luck pretty much. Athough I am being charged to use Skype on bb for WED, APR 1, 2009 calls I prefer it over the iPhones wifi only calls.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    So does that mean it will cost minutes the for BB users since it is dialing a number and not using data? They should have a version like the iphone version for wifi capable BBs....hmmm
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    ask
    Only if you are outside the US then you'll be charged on BB

Quote Originally Posted by hayden View Post
    Only if you are outside the US then you'll be charged on BB
    wow what garbage is that i take what i said back Skype will be a garbage add-on

angelena no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MackDaddy135 View Post
    wow what garbage is that i take what i said back Skype will be a garbage add-on
    I agree with you ...

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I must be missunderstanding this! For international use, you get international rates on Skype? and for US use you use minutes just like any phone call?

If so, kind of a let-down for BB users who looked forward to Skype for international use and for "free" calling in the US. Unless I'm wrong (I hope I am) I don't see the point of having Skype on a BB.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I must be missunderstanding this! For international use, you get international rates on Skype? and for US use you use minutes just like any phone call?

If so, kind of a let-down for BB users who looked forward to Skype for international use and for "free" calling in the US. Unless I'm wrong (I hope I am) I don't see the point of having Skype on a BB.

I believe from Hayden's explanation and the OP, that the international rates are if "you" leave the US, so if you travel you get charged more. And he said it does not use minutes when at home, but the OP says it doesn't use data....so that's a bit confusing to me too. It doesn't use data but calls a number, but I'm understanding those calls for some reason won't use plan minutes if they are to skype users....
    Twitter? My Apps List

What I meant by international use is when you DO go to another country. Now, with a wi-fi device, you can make a "free" call to the U S using UMA (T-Mobile) from outside - the disappointment is that from outside the U S calling in, there doesn't seem to be a point in having Skype on a BB.

Having it at all (for normal use IN the US) IS still a question mark for me too.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Gotcha, I thought you meant calling another skype member who lives overseas. Maybe this will allow some users to keep a plan with fewer minutes if they have many friends and fam with skype. IDK
    Twitter? My Apps List

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Gotcha, I thought you meant calling another skype member who lives overseas. Maybe this will allow some users to keep a plan with fewer minutes if they have many friends and fam with skype. IDK
    Problem with that is data plan prices increase if you don't have a certain voiceplan. So it cancels out.

PIN/ID
    ask
    Basically as mentioned Skype on Blackberry connects calls by first dialing a US number that connects to Skype's servers. --> Voice network call to Skype routing

The iPhone connects over Wi-Fi internet. --> VOIP data call

Thus, if you are traveling outside the US and you are on BlackBerry you'll be roaming on a voice network so ANY Skype call becomes an overseas call thus canceling the savings of Skype. Even if you are calling Skype to Skype it will still dial out to Skype's servers to connect you.

iPhone is locked to Wi-Fi so the downside is that you will be tied to Wi-Fi connections to make calls. The Blackberry is dialing out over the carrier's voice networks so you can use Skype just about anywhere there's good coverage.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    if skype only connects to one number then that is great! because:

if you put that number in your MyFavs, then free unlimited calling

if you put that number in your my friends and family numbers from verizon, free unlimited calling

if you put that number in your unlimited numbers plan on alltel, then unlimited calling

so.... if you think about it that way then it doesnt matter so much just as long as it is normal number and not a 1800 number. see not so bad now huh?

Quote Originally Posted by JCG3 View Post
    if skype only connects to one number then that is great! because:

if you put that number in your MyFavs, then free unlimited calling

if you put that number in your my friends and family numbers from verizon, free unlimited calling

if you put that number in your unlimited numbers plan on alltel, then unlimited calling

so.... if you think about it that way then it doesn't matter so much just as long as it is normal number and not a 1800 number. see not so bad now huh?
    ...unless you're outside the US and that rule doesn't apply outside the US - then it matters, right? Just trying to get it all straight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast