The mobile news world has been flooded for over a month now with stories about ... Smartphone News forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Could Google Take Over the iPhone

Advertisement

The mobile news world has been flooded for over a month now with stories about the feud from the big 3; Google, AT&T, and Apple. Beginning with the rejection of the Google Voice app from Apple's app store and moving into an FCC inquiry, there has been no shortage of finger-pointing and outcry from app developers. Coinciding with this whole debacle, we saw Google CEO Eric Schmidt resign from Apple's Board citing conflict of interests and later Apple's Senior VP, Phil Schiller reach out to frustrated iPhone developers who knew no more about the application approval process then my grandmother. It's been a back and forth ride; Apple responded to the FCC saying that they never removed the app, but are currently "studying" it, AT&T denies any involvement, but admits that there is a provision in their contract with Apple to block VOIP apps, and Google has said with or without the app store, they'll deliver Google Voice to the iPhone community.

In reading the daily slew of articles surrounding the mobile giants, I came across a great article on TheBigMoney by Chris Thompson who discusses the possible reasons for Apple's block of Google's voice app. In it, he quotes Phillip Elmer-DeWitt from Fortune who asks: "If Apple has a policy keeping Voice-over Internet apps off its iPhone store, why has the tech company RingCentral been able to sell an app that does essentially the same thing as Google Voice for ten months? Citing a source "close to the company," Elmer-DeWitt claims that RingCentral is in the midst of launching something big in partnership with AT&T, which may obviate the threat AT&T sees coming from Voice-over Internet technology."

He also quotes from an article by TechCrunch's MC Siegler who looks at the same idea from a different view-point, saying, "You can get Gmail, a version of Google Maps, YouTube, and Google Search on the iPhone, but in many of these cases, you can get a better version of them on the Android smartphone. If Google had been able to put Google Voice and Latitude on the iPhone, Siegler writes, "it was certainly starting to look possible that eventually Google apps would take up the entire first screen of apps on the device."

I am very interested in seeing which direction the FCC takes and whether this will lead to a bit more transparency in the app approval process, though I should note that Apple has at least started in that direction. These articles certainly give a good perpsective on the back-and-forth of these companies and are all definitely worth the few minute read.

Check out the article by Chris Thompson here.

Check out the article by Phillip Elmer-DeWitt here.

Check out the article by MC Siegler here.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Apple has always been a Hardware Company even though they have some great Software too. This is certainly an interesting topic that will continue to play out. I still hold the opinion the GV App will return to the App Store. I think everyone has taken a step back to look at the larger picture and are still evaluating the +/- and trying to figure out the over all impact.

LokBerry no está en línea Stack level 1
    Well said [FONT=Verdana]srl7741![/FONT]

LokBerry no está en línea Stack level 1
    What? Y did the post appear like that?

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    This will get more and more interesting. Some friends and I use to joke around when Android came out that next for Google is to open us Google Wireless, their own carrier.

Now that doesn't seem so far off.