Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New (And Good) Things: Has a newer or same version of BB messenger than the ... Smartphone News forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Confirmed Notes/Features About 4.2 OS (Non Pearl)

Advertisement

New (And Good) Things:

Has a newer or same version of BB messenger than the pearl does. (Hard to tell because those of you who have a Pearl know that the BB Messenger isn't the most user friendly in the world when it comes to seeing if contacts are online or off). Also has the same emoticons. And, like the Pearl, there is no limit on the size of the file that can be transfered like a picture, which if I am not mistaken used to be 15-20kb?

BBM: When receiving a picture, have the ability to View/Save/Cancel, whereas with previous versions of BBM you had to Save a picture before you could view it.

Does have the capability to LOAD and PLAY video, HOWEVER, remember, its a 64MB device not including the OS and all the apps on there, so don't count on ANYTHING more than maybe a 5 minute 3gp clip.

BUT...
    Podcasts will work, just like they do on the Pearl.
    Radio Bee DOES work (and streams almost flawlessly, however, there are issues with the actual Radio Bee program itself).

Photo CallerId: Yes, has it. The exact same set up as the Pearl.

Voice Notes: Yes. Same set up as the Pearl, 60 second maximum length.

Ability to turn Data services off (EX: Web Browsing, Email, etc) while leaving the wireless services on (EX: Phone, sms).

BlackBerry Maps: Yes. However, they seem to run even worse than they do on the Pearl.

Profiles: Ability to set alerts for EACH email address that you have coming into the device.

Browser has Preview Mode such as the Pearl. Also has the ability to log into secure websites (https://). Browser also has 3 option submenus now, such as the Pearl: Browser Config, General Properties, Cache Properties.

Firewall now allows ability to block incomming: SMS, PIN, MMS and BIS.

Security LockOut/Wipe Feature: Can now change from 3-10 attempts, rather than the standard 10 times.

Switch Application now appears in all the menus, allowing you to use it rather than ALT+Back Button

Media will now play thru the headset (Example, like when using quickplayer, it used to ONLY go thru the speakerphone, but it will go through a headset now too).

Pocket Day had to re-install the 4.2 version and had to delete the old version before it would take, took a few tries, but it works great now.

Bluetooth: Options now appear in menus to send/receive via BlueTooth

Email pictures directly.

New Icons: Media (Ringers and Pictures), BlueTooth Set Up, Set Up Wizard.

Bad things:

A: RIM still won't release it (For whatever reason)

B: Notification icons sometimes go missing.

C: Battery meter sometimes goes AWOL also

D: Media player is jacked up. It is in the Pearl size and only takes up 3/4 of the screen while the other 1/4 of the screen is pure white.

The media player is kinda jacked because its only in the size of the pearl screen, so that's a flaw.

E: BlackBerry Messenger: When trying to type a full email address or website, BBM locks up, crashes and throws a Java Error. (EX: joeschmo@westcoast.net or www.pinstack.com)

F: No Voice Dialing (Atleast that I can find)
    F: 15KB limit on transferring audio files via Pin Messenger.

Notes:

RIM obviously must have a reason not making this available for download yet, however, it is more stable than some of the other Operating Systems they have released onto the market ::Cough:: Pearl ::Cough::

There have been reports on other sites that people have reverted back to 4.1 after testing the 4.2 because it was so bad, however, this OS seems to be stable and not as buggy as others report (For whatever reason).

Overall, RIM should release this, or atleast, tweak whatever bugs they may think that it has and send it out. Obviously, the users want it and it's not as bad as they either think or has been reported...

There are probably more other little things, however, give some time and they will be added to this list.

Hold tight everyone...

*Let me throw a disclaimer in here.

Sorry, but there is NO WAYa link can be supplied NOR can this OS be provided other than by RIM themselves when they decide to make it a public release. So please, do not even ask for a "hookup" or promise you will keep it on the down low or anything of that nature. Sorry, but it is property of RIM and what they say goes.
    Last edited by N8DBB; 11-24-2006 at 11:03 AM.

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead
    Thanks for the update. I talked with someone today and even with the leaked version it doesnt look like they are pushing a release.
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

tomdkat no está en línea Stack level 3
    are these comments from the leaked 4.2 that was up on this site a couple days ago? or do you have a diff beta version

mike_187 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tomdkat
    are these comments from the leaked 4.2 that was up on this site a couple days ago? or do you have a diff beta version
    yah thats what it sounds like.

Spamdumpster no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    2423c9c5
    N8,

Any word on 4.2 for the 7130?

diaz1023 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~well having 4.2 would be great, but there is no need to use a buggy one, I believe most users would want something stable that is wasy to use, like current os's are

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    I'll wait.. for a good and no bug version.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G
    ditto

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks for the info n8 that really does not sound that much of a bug problem to me .if I could use my free space for podcasts and video clips I would be statisfide.I average about 35 mb of free space and that's plenty for podcasts and vid clips.I have had luck with podcasts 5mb or under.but over that I get the enity to large error.this post makes me think its going to be released soon.thanks

illest no está en línea Stack level 1
    Great info but who cares? People want the OS 4.2 and everytime someone displays info or anything else its a tease.

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by illest
    Great info but who cares? People want the OS 4.2 and everytime someone displays info or anything else its a tease.
    at this point I'm glad to hear anything about 4.2 .I personaly think its going to be out within the next 2 weeks but that's just a gut feeling.

credikix no está en línea Stack level 1
    What about a dial up networking profile?

nvisi0n no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30B4DB5C
    Quote Originally Posted by jbj9871
    at this point I'm glad to hear anything about 4.2 .I personaly think its going to be out within the next 2 weeks but that's just a gut feeling.
    You didn't hear that from me... So far N8 is 100% on track. N8 did you have the short delay with the photo CID as I did?

richardrblc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22cf4edb

yes i beleave the 4.2 will provide all of the things the rest of us are missing waiting for it is the only reason i have not gotten the 8703E yet
    pin me any time 22cf4edb

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    I've finally got this installed - the 4.2 OS on my 87. The original poster had to remove the download link as per RIM's request so it took me a little while to get the 50+MB file. However, we are in contact with RIM who will be testing this current OS since it could have been tampered with before release. Hopfully they will release for download soon. The OS has been quite stable in my tests. As per new features some major but the minor improvements are numerous! Love my 8700g a notch more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast